The other shoe drops on UNC

I know. Still can't believe what freaking happened. Froze my ass off that night for nothing.

Looking back it seems so ridiculous that the game didn't end on a blatant offensive penalty.

Back in the late 60's or early 70's, the NFL added the rule about the defense blatantly committing penalties to stop the clock (See the Raiders).

bad bad memories grrrrr

As a mostly non-basketball fan I've always been indifferent about the North Carolina schools...until that night. Watching those UNC players dance after that debacle is seared into my mind. I wish them the worst and hope their hoops and football get the death penalty.

Reactions: 2 people
wont matter...slap of the hand..is all they will get

Agree. Heard Chris Low talking about this the other day. Said from what he's hearing, there's just no way the men's basketball team is gonna get shutdown .....said "it's one of Collegiate athletics' sacred cows", and he's hearing that it'll still be standing after all the smoke is clear.

Last edited:
Agree. Heard Chris Low talking about this the other day. Said from what he's hearing, there's just no way the men's basketball team is gonna get shutdown .....said "it's one of Collegiate athletics' sacred cows", and he's hearing that it'll still be standing after all the smoke is clear.

Getting shutdown and getting heavy sanctions for a few years are entirely different issues. No one (with a functioning brain) thinks any of the sports are getting shut down.

Aside from financial penalties and vacated wins/banners, the punishment moving forward would include a post season ban (probably 3 years) and a loss of scholarships. The effect on recruiting will be devastating. By 2018, we could see UNC getting run off the floor in the Dean Dome by the likes of Clemson and Wake Forest.

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Aside from financial penalties and vacated wins/banners, the punishment moving forward would include a post season ban (probably 3 years) and a loss of scholarships. The effect on recruiting will be devastating. By 2018, we could see UNC getting run off the floor in the Dean Dome by the likes of Clemson and Wake Forest.

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.

I don't know if all that will happen, but I do know that Clemson will never run UNC off the Dean Dome floor. It's like death, taxes and UNC beating Clemson in Chapel Hill. I believe it's something crazy like 57 straight. UNC could trot out 5 blind kids and would still find a way to win.

They literally redacted the word "basketball" out of the NOA. LOL. It's like a kid hiding their report card from their parents who've already spoken with the teacher. The jig is up.

They literally redacted the word "basketball" out of the NOA. LOL. It's like a kid hiding their report card from their parents who've already spoken with the teacher. The jig is up.

No offense you have your own opinion but most insiders believe the men's basketball program will escape this thing unscathed and its not just that most of the experts believe it as well this just one unbiased article of many that have been stating this you might want to read up on it because it goes into detail on why and doesn't just speculate like you have been doing in this thread. North Carolina academic scandal will end quietly, just like everyone wanted - SBNation.com

Means little to Tennessee. Football recruiting is the only plus, and most NC players we are after are more interested in other out of state schools.

Perhaps that is the case if you're only talking about 2016 but Tennessee recruits NC heavily and it often comes to down to a decision between us and the Heels (such as with Marquez North and Shy Tuttle). If UNC football is hit hard with sanctions that is definitely a plus for Tennessee.

No offense you have your own opinion but most insiders believe the men's basketball program will escape this thing unscathed and its not just that most of the experts believe it as well this just one unbiased article of many that have been stating this you might want to read up on it because it goes into detail on why and doesn't just speculate like you have been doing in this thread. North Carolina academic scandal will end quietly, just like everyone wanted - SBNation.com

did you really just spew out drivel about all the experts saying nothing is going to happen and then follow it up with a SB Nation hack piece?

Reactions: 1 person

This 'article' may be unbiased but it was not professionally written and includes many points that are opinion based and open to dispute. It is hard to take seriously.

1) "The Details Aren's Salacious Enough"
Are you kidding me with this? And what degree of salaciousness needs to be satisfied? That is a weak opinion.

2) "People Already Assume This Happens Everywhere"
Maybe it does but not everyone gets caught and this writer is really stretching to say that people don't recall the details of the academic fraud at Minnesota in the late 90's and Georgia in the early 00's. I do remember the scandal Sports Illustrated uncovered (and won a Pulitzer Prize for) at Minnesota under Clem Haskins in March '99 and it was not as egregious as what UNC stands accused of now. I also remember the Jim Harrick Jr. farcical course work at Georgia which included tests with questions such as "How many points is a 3 point shot worth in basketball?"...and I even remember the queen mother of academic scandals also uncovered at Georgia by an English professor named Jan Kemp and that was over 30 years ago. This writer is simply working off the assumption that people are either as indifferent to academic fraud as he is or just ignorant or lazy and projecting that upon the reader.

3) "There Is No Individual At The Heart Of This Scandal"
Yes, there is. Deborah Crowder and she didn't cooperate with the investigation. She may not be a 'big fish' but she is an individual who while only working as an administrator and not a faculty member was allowed to hand out grades to athletes.

I have no idea what sanctions will be levied against UNC athletics but I wouldn't let a poorly written and very lazy (bleacher report quality, in all honesty) article like this change my opinion of what they deserve. We will see what happens to UNC. USC athletic director Mike Garrett thought his football program was a sacred cow as well... until 2010 that is.

Dennis Dodd, who I loathe, thinks most major sports will be hit with postseason bans and scholly reductions. I'm on the fence about the postseason ban for the bball team because I don't want to hear all the bull**** about how they would've won next year if it weren't for sanctions.

This 'article' may be unbiased but it was not professionally written and includes many points that are opinion based and open to dispute. It is hard to take seriously.

1) "The Details Aren's Salacious Enough"
Are you kidding me with this? And what degree of salaciousness needs to be satisfied? That is a weak opinion.

2) "People Already Assume This Happens Everywhere"
Maybe it does but not everyone gets caught and this writer is really stretching to say that people don't recall the details of the academic fraud at Minnesota in the late 90's and Georgia in the early 00's. I do remember the scandal Sports Illustrated uncovered (and won a Pulitzer Prize for) at Minnesota under Clem Haskins in March '99 and it was not as egregious as what UNC stands accused of now. I also remember the Jim Harrick Jr. farcical course work at Georgia which included tests with questions such as "How many points is a 3 point shot worth in basketball?"...and I even remember the queen mother of academic scandals also uncovered at Georgia by an English professor named Jan Kemp and that was over 30 years ago. This writer is simply working off the assumption that people are either as indifferent to academic fraud as he is or just ignorant or lazy and projecting that upon the reader.

3) "There Is No Individual At The Heart Of This Scandal"
Yes, there is. Deborah Crowder and she didn't cooperate with the investigation. She may not be a 'big fish' but she is an individual who while only working as an administrator and not a faculty member was allowed to hand out grades to athletes.

I have no idea what sanctions will be levied against UNC athletics but I wouldn't let a poorly written and very lazy (bleacher report quality, in all honesty) article like this change my opinion of what they deserve. We will see what happens to UNC. USC athletic director Mike Garrett thought his football program was a sacred cow as well... until 2010 that is.

You realize that the class was open to all students not just athletes right? and that Roy is only mentioned once in the NOA in which it mentioned that he was interviewed by the NCAA on Dec. 14, 2014 and that he expressed concern that so many of his players were majoring in African and Afro-American Studies. He is not listed as part of any of the allegations....Futher more how is this a Athletic department issue if other students at the university took the classes not just athletes? Wouldn't that be an Academic issue? These are fact not opinions

You realize that the class was open to all students not just athletes right? and that Roy is only mentioned once in the NOA in which it mentioned that he was interviewed by the NCAA on Dec. 14, 2014 and that he expressed concern that so many of his players were majoring in African and Afro-American Studies. He is not listed as part of any of the allegations....Futher more how is this a Athletic department issue if other students at the university took the classes not just athletes? Wouldn't that be an Academic issue? These are fact not opinions

I can literally see the Carolina Blue blood oozing out of you just from your posting

Reactions: 2 people
Spot on. Perhaps a Tennessee football and UNC basketball fan.

I'm a Duke bball fan so i don't care that he is a fan, I just find it laughable that he thinks the major programs are immune from trouble or that having athletes taking illegitimate classes is excusable by the athletic department in any sort of fashion.

I can literally see the Carolina Blue blood oozing out of you just from your posting

I remember Voltime from K's 1000th win thread, I really enjoyed his scribbles and now his justifications. The thing is, he and people like him are just pissed because the writing is on the wall. Regardless of what the NCAA does to the basketball program, the idea that the "Carolina Way" is forever tarnished and it is killing the delusional masses. Nobody is buying "the Well and the bell, crisp October nights" Charles Kuralt cutesy crap anymore. People are finally finding out what a sham this whole mindset of the "Carolina Way" really is. You are not superior athletically, academically, ethically, or culturally, like you have thought for decades. You are now among the mortals that you have looked down upon for so long.

The fact that Duke has now surpassed UNC as a better program and that K is a better coach than Dean doesn't help their mindset either. UNC may skate on all this, but the spin that this is only a campus problem and not an athletic issue is hilarious, along with the "everyone else does it" defense. I have a very hard time believing that it's a coincidence that this all started in 1993. Right after Duke's back to back National Titles? Give me a break. I'll give Roy a pass because it looks like he tried to get his guys out of those classes when he got to UNC. I'm not so sure about other coaches though. Anson Dorrance, Sylvia Hatchell, Butch Davis (I know for a fact had grades altered), and very possibly some others (you guys can do the math) had to have been in the know. There is no way they couldn't have been at least slightly aware. This is how you get to LOIC.

I honestly don't want the athletic department to burn, because I have many life long friends who are Heels and I enjoy the rivalry, but at some point most UNC fans will have to own this. You are who you are.

article says it is just more paperwork to fill out and no real loss of money. it does say that UNC was guilty as charged though. which will do wonders to its image.

article says it is just more paperwork to fill out and no real loss of money. it does say that UNC was guilty as charged though. which will do wonders to its image.

Sorry was not clear enough. I meant it just tarnishes their image even more the agency stated that they did confirm that the committed academic fraud

They're going to mysteriously disappear from opposing team's message boards over the next year or so. Like a fart in the wind.

They're going to mysteriously disappear from opposing team's message boards over the next year or so. Like a fart in the wind.

You're just as dumb as Voltime. There's a gray area and both of y'all need to find it because that's where UNC athletics will find itself.

I remember Voltime from K's 1000th win thread, I really enjoyed his scribbles and now his justifications. The thing is, he and people like him are just pissed because the writing is on the wall. Regardless of what the NCAA does to the basketball program, the idea that the "Carolina Way" is forever tarnished and it is killing the delusional masses. Nobody is buying "the Well and the bell, crisp October nights" Charles Kuralt cutesy crap anymore. People are finally finding out what a sham this whole mindset of the "Carolina Way" really is. You are not superior athletically, academically, ethically, or culturally, like you have thought for decades. You are now among the mortals that you have looked down upon for so long.

The fact that Duke has now surpassed UNC as a better program and that K is a better coach than Dean doesn't help their mindset either. UNC may skate on all this, but the spin that this is only a campus problem and not an athletic issue is hilarious, along with the "everyone else does it" defense. I have a very hard time believing that it's a coincidence that this all started in 1993. Right after Duke's back to back National Titles? Give me a break. I'll give Roy a pass because it looks like he tried to get his guys out of those classes when he got to UNC. I'm not so sure about other coaches though. Anson Dorrance, Sylvia Hatchell, Butch Davis (I know for a fact had grades altered), and very possibly some others (you guys can do the math) had to have been in the know. There is no way they couldn't have been at least slightly aware. This is how you get to LOIC.

I honestly don't want the athletic department to burn, because I have many life long friends who are Heels and I enjoy the rivalry, but at some point most UNC fans will have to own this. You are who you are.

The image is forever tarnished. They are just another try to outdo the Jones' school by any means necessary. I don't want the athletic to get destroyed, but I'm happy the scars will live forever.

VN Store

Back