The Official TN Tech @ Tennessee Game Thread (Tues. March 26th 6PM EST SEC NET+)

I guess my suspicions weren't crazy.

Thank you for the explanation.

Would the correct play for the catcher be to just hold the ball and allow Taylor to advance if there is no play to be made at 3B? Or run down the 3B line and possible make a normal tag play a 2B if Chapman is sufficiently back at the bag?
Most of the time, the call is “defensive indifference” and you allow the runner to take 2B without an attempted throw. if there’s a throw to 2B and a rundown occurs, the SS or 2B (whoever has the ball) needs to keep an eye on the runner at 3B and ensure they don’t advance to home. Notice that TN has the runner on 1B stop running when they are about 25 feet from 2B to avoid getting thrown out at 2B before the runner can score, thus prompting a run down if a throw is made to 2B. Hope this helps.

Most of the time, the call is “defensive indifference” and you allow the runner to take 2B without an attempted throw. if there’s a throw to 2B and a rundown occurs, the SS or 2B (whoever has the ball) needs to keep an eye on the runner at 3B and ensure they don’t advance to home. Notice that TN has the runner on 1B stop running when they are about 25 feet from 2B to avoid getting thrown out at 2B before the runner can score, thus prompting a run down if a throw is made to 2B. Hope this helps.
Be nice if TV showed the play or announcer actually described what happened correctly on the play so we all don’t go off on one another. We had some Vol on Vol crime for no reason at all. I was typing and only listening to the broadcast until ball was hit…TV only showed Taylor getting tagged, incorrectly said run didn’t score and no run was put on board until TV came back. I also didn’t know the count so the stupid announcer left me hanging high and dry thinking we screwed up on base paths.

Last edited:
How good is Wilkerson calling the game and his pregame and postgame show? We have a treasure in John Wilkerson. He's a true VFL!
I’m glad we’ve finally got some teams that allow him to show his best stuff. Man can paint a picture with the best of them.

”It was a fastball! A meatball! And that ball is gone!”

Yes, but catchers indifference requires there to be no concern for the steal whatsoever. Not throwing because of a potential double steal won't qualify as indifference. And I concur with your further explanation and add:

The catcher made the right call to throw because our runner went on a delayed steal and was obviously gonna be out. Second sacker made the mistake of not immediately firing back to the catcher. No way we can run home before those two throws are made. He never even looked toward third. He had plenty of time to fire or at least do a look the runner back to third and still gun Taylor down back at first.

Great call by CTV. We must have seen something in their games that made us think they'd fail. And they did.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yes, but catchers indifference requires there to be no concern for the steal whatsoever. Not throwing because of a potential double steal won't qualify as indifference. And I concur with your further explanation and add:

The catcher made the right call to throw because our runner went on a delayed steal and was obviously gonna be out. Second sacker made the mistake of not immediately firing back to the catcher. No way we can run home before those two throws are made. He never even looked toward third. He had plenty of time to fire or at least do a look the runner back to third and still gun Taylor down back at first.

Great call by CTV. We must have seen something in their games that made us think they'd fail. And they did.
Yes….the throw back home has got to happen there. Another reason why the TV made it seem like we had messed up. Like the fielder knew he was going to tag Taylor and get the out without having to worry about the runner crossing the plate. Not sure what the Tenn Tech kid was thinking.

I guess my suspicions weren't crazy.

Thank you for the explanation.

Would the correct play for the catcher be to just hold the ball and allow Taylor to advance if there is no play to be made at 3B? Or run down the 3B line and possible make a normal tag play a 2B if Chapman is sufficiently back at the bag?
Added benefit was a count reset for RV and he took advantage in the best inning!

Absolutely a gorgeous night at Lindsey Nelson, rain held off all night and Tony V and the gang took care of business.

Always a great time at the ballpark. Even hung around for my son to grab some autographs afterwards, these guys are top notch. Blake Burke, Tears, RV, Antigua, and Coach V, plus numerous others so gracious with their time.

Great night overall!

VN Store

Back