The Official Tennessee @ #24 Florida Game Thread, 5:15 pm ET, ESPN2

You know, that's something that has always interested me.

There are a lot of basketball players in college and even the NBA that have stated that they don't really like playing the game.

For a lot of them it was just expected that they would play (typically starting in Junior High or Highschool) because of their height or athleticism, and they pursued it as a way out of a bad situation, or as a way to get a free education.

I think that applies across other sports as well. I know I've read about football players that said after the fact they really didn't enjoy playing that much. I think even Andre Agassi talked about how at one time he even hated playing tennis but he was guided into it by his dad.

It seems weird to "regular" people like us, but I guess when you break it down as a job, it shouldn't be that surprising that there's a segment of players that don't really like it.

Feel like I've bashed Hubbs as much as anybody since he's been here. But not this year. He is limited offensively for reason already mentioned in this thread. But this year he seems much more engaged and aggressive, especially on the defensive end. That's where the bulk of my previous criticism came from. He didn't have to be scoring 15-20 for him to show effort on the defensive end. But before this year he didn't. Imo

Major props to Hubbs for sticking with it and being a senior leader on this team. Not sure if he'll continue playing after he finishes at UT, but he has matured a ton this year. also jmo

Reactions: 2 people
I think that applies across other sports as well. I know I've read about football players that said after the fact they really didn't enjoy playing that much. I think even Andre Agassi talked about how at one time he even hated playing tennis but he was guided into it by his dad.

It seems weird to "regular" people like us, but I guess when you break it down as a job, it shouldn't be that surprising that there's a segment of players that don't really like it.

True, I figured it probably happens more with basketball and football because of the height and athleticism required to play at a high level, and the fact that very few people actually possess the natural abilities required.

No one was rode harder or criticized more by Barnes in post game last season. Not so this season.
Is he a 5 star? No
Does he deserve to be constantly dissed by surf by posters on this board?

I can get on board with that.
It is so frustrating though because I think he could be a superstar, but he has done well despite all of the attrition. Wish nothing but the best for him.

I blame the freshmen point guards for Hubbs' second half drop off. They're not doing a good job of getting the ball to him. Plus nobody else is a threat to score when Hubbs is doubled.

I think Hubbs plays pro ball somewhere. A lot of people dislike their jobs. Most of them don't make 6-figure incomes with a couple of months of vacation.

BS again. Barnes has said he's worked harder this season than any in his career.
Evidently you don't accept his post game comments where he said Hubbs and Mostella both have targets on their backs.
Hell. Tobias Harris was a 5 star NBA player and had games where he scored 5 points. Would you call him soft?

Hubbs has had 3 games where he didn't score in double figures.
he has 71 rebounds, 22 assists, 4 blocks and 16 steals in 15 games.
That not the stat sheet of a slacker.

What about his lack of effort on defense... was that also due to how good Florida was. I'm not saying he is a bad player I just don't see the effort. He has Armani Moore output with twice the potential. Glad he's a Vol, just wish he was more consistent with effort.

What about his lack of effort on defense... was that also due to how good Florida was. I'm not saying he is a bad player I just don't see the effort. He has Armani Moore output with twice the potential. Glad he's a Vol, just wish he was more consistent with effort.
I'm with Calban. I've watched Hubbs every game this year and effort isn't the issue. He just has never been a "go to type of scorer" and won't attempt to beat anyone off the dribble.

His main contributions are defense, rebounding and attacking the middle/low post of defenses with his post moves/mid range game.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back