The Official Tennessee @ #24 Florida Game Thread, 5:15 pm ET, ESPN2

People just don't remember all the nights we spent watching that stupid flex action for 25 seconds followed by desperation to beat the shot clock.

Yep, our half court sets were painful to watch. We lived on low percentage threes when we were forced to run an actual offensive set but just had guys who could hit them.

Hubbs is a good player when he wants to be.
He is one of the easiest players to shut down. No jump shot, limited ability to handle the basketball, and soft. Keep him out of the paint and he's a non factor

I have heard that Hubbs is lazy/uninterested at practice which definitely translates to the real games.

Reactions: 1 person
I remember the best 6 year run in Tennessee basketball history.
Which is all it is.. History. Time to start supporting the current team and staff. We play 7 freshmen and lead with a junior and senior. People, this team is exactly like Barnes' Clemson team. Undersized, went NIT first year and then went to the NCAA tournament 3 years straight.

Reactions: 2 people
I have heard that Hubbs is lazy/uninterested at practice which definitely translates to the real games.

From who? Or are you just referring to the article that mentioned that when his dad asked Barnes why he wasn't getting playing time last year?

BS. Florida is a good defensive team when they want to be.
Hubbs and Mostella were being swarmed in this game. White's defensive plan included not letting Hubbs and Stella beat them. why do you think Admiral had the game of his career. If he hadn't shown up we'd have been beaten by 30 points.

You are right... He is a shining example of how everyone should play. Of course Florida is a good team and played good defense, but we are talking about a Senior. He plays soft... He is a huge letdown. He has all the physical tools it just appears as though he doesn't have the drive.

If that were the case he wouldn't be playing. Barnes told him at the beginning of the season the team wouldn't be waiting on him.
No need to make sh## up to support your false claims.

You are right... He is a shining example of how everyone should play. Of course Florida is a good team and played good defense, but we are talking about a Senior. He plays soft... He is a huge letdown. He has all the physical tools it just appears as though he doesn't have the drive.
BS again. Barnes has said he's worked harder this season than any in his career.
Evidently you don't accept his post game comments where he said Hubbs and Mostella both have targets on their backs.
Hell. Tobias Harris was a 5 star NBA player and had games where he scored 5 points. Would you call him soft?

Hubbs has had 3 games where he didn't score in double figures.
he has 71 rebounds, 22 assists, 4 blocks and 16 steals in 15 games.
That not the stat sheet of a slacker.

Last edited:
Which is all it is.. History. Time to start supporting the current team and staff. We play 7 freshmen and lead with a junior and senior. People, this team is exactly like Barnes' Clemson team. Undersized, went NIT first year and then went to the NCAA tournament 3 years straight.

I support this team. I don't try and rewrite the past in regards to our greatest basketball coach though.

BS again. Barnes has said he's worked harder this season than any in his career.
Evidently you don't accept his post game comments where he said Hubbs and Mostella both have targets on their backs.
Hell. Tobias Harris was a 5 star NBA player and had games where he scored 5 points. Would you call him soft?

Hubbs has had 3 games where he didn't score in double figures.
he has 71 rebounds, 22 assists, 4 blocks and 16 steals in 15 games.
That not the stat sheet of a slacker.

Tobias scored under double figures just 3 times his lone season here. Looks like Hubbs will surpass that number very soon

I support this team. I don't try and rewrite the past in regards to our greatest basketball coach though.

He's the greatest in terms of NCAAT success and placement in the rankings. But he's not the greatest in several key areas. Most notably longevity. His own stupidity and inability to not lie caused his tenure to end at 6 years. He left the program in worse shape than what he started with. Mears had a higher winning percentage and Mears and Devoe each had more SEC championships. He tainted the program, which diminishes his status as "the greatest".

We have 11 players who get substantial minutes, and there's a book on every one of them now. They've all had stellar moments, and every one has had bad stretches. They may not be consistent, but not one of them is consistently bad. We've had 8 different individual game scoring leaders. Pick a player to hate on and he's liable to make you look bad the very next game.

Ah well, haters gonna hate regardless.

If that were the case he wouldn't be playing. Barnes told him at the beginning of the season the team wouldn't be waiting on him.
No need to make sh## up to support your false claims.

He mopes around in games just like Scotty Hopson used to when things aren't going his way. He has the potential to be the best player on the team and one of the best in the conference, just gotta get tougher

We have 11 players who get substantial minutes, and there's a book on every one of them now. They've all had stellar moments, and every one has had bad stretches. They may not be consistent, but not one of them is consistently bad. We've had 8 different individual game scoring leaders. Pick a player to hate on and he's liable to make you look bad the very next game.

I'm certainly not hating. Just making observations. I love the potential of this team and especially the young players. I'm pulling for both Hubbs and Phillips. Both have the talent to be much better.

He mopes around in games just like Scotty Hopson used to when things aren't going his way. He has the potential to be the best player on the team and one of the best in the conference, just gotta get tougher
Haven't heard Barnes say one bad thing about him this season in post game.
Why is that?

My bet is Robert never plays basketball again after he's gone. Hope I'm wrong. I don't think he even likes playing bb.

You know, that's something that has always interested me.

There are a lot of basketball players in college and even the NBA that have stated that they don't really like playing the game.

For a lot of them it was just expected that they would play (typically starting in Junior High or Highschool) because of their height or athleticism, and they pursued it as a way out of a bad situation, or as a way to get a free education.

Haven't heard Barnes say one bad thing about him this season in post game.
Why is that?

Because he knows the potential and doesn't want to break his already wavering confidence? Hubbs seems like he wouldn't respond to tough love/coaching as well as some other guys, and that's ok-everyone has their own personality, but when he's on the court he needs to ball out.
Just use your eyes man. You honestly haven't seen it??? Multiple other posters have mentioned his lack of drive or whatnot, so it's not just me. I'm not trying to bash the kid, I just know he could be much better.

That's the problem with Hubbs; you can't tell a difference between him and the freshmen based off their play.

Because he knows the potential and doesn't want to break his already wavering confidence? Hubbs seems like he wouldn't respond to tough love/coaching as well as some other guys, and that's ok-everyone has their own personality, but when he's on the court he needs to ball out.
Just use your eyes man. You honestly haven't seen it??? Multiple other posters have mentioned his lack of drive or whatnot, so it's not just me. I'm not trying to bash the kid, I just know he could be much better.

No one was rode harder or criticized more by Barnes in post game last season. Not so this season.
Is he a 5 star? No
Does he deserve to be constantly dissed by surf by posters on this board?

No one was rode harder or criticized more by Barnes in post game last season. Not so this season.
Is he a 5 star? No
Does he deserve to be constantly dissed by surf by posters on this board?

Answer to your question.. NO

People are essentially tearing the guy down based off of a rating given to him by recruiting sites.

Take a few things in perspective here:
1) Hubbs has had 3 different coaches
2) Hubbs has battled a few nagging injuries
3) Hubbs has finally had some consistency in coaching (Barnes) and has bought in, otherwise he would ride pine, and has played well.

Is he a true 5 star? No, but he didn't ask for that rating and is apparently a victim of his own success in Highschool.

Hubbs has been the least of my concerns this year, as far as, UT Bball is goes.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back