The Official San Antonio Spurs Thred

I think Pop was just trying to keep them from getting gassed. My only big problem with the substitutions tonight was not having Duncan in there to rebound at the end of the 4th.

Or TP in there to run the last offensive sets.

BUMP......Having an up and down year. I hope they pull things together towards the end. Lots of injuries, but that's what you have to expect with this team. Pop always has a way to get things going when it counts.

Once again, Pop has this team playing their best basketball right before the playoffs. It's amazing to me how he continues to do this year after year. At the end of his career he has to be top 10 maybe 5 coaches of all time. I think they end up with the 4 or 5 seed, but we'll see how it ends.

Pop=GOAT IMO

Either him or Jackson. I know the knock on Phil is he lucked out in Chicago and LA with talent, but Pop has had an incredible wealth of non-stop talent. It's easier to like Pop because his guys play better team ball.

Either him or Jackson. I know the knock on Phil is he lucked out in Chicago and LA with talent, but Pop has had an incredible wealth of non-stop talent. It's easier to like Pop because his guys play better team ball.

He lucked out in Chicago, he kind of picked his luck in LA. Tex Winters deserves a lot of props for helping Phil too. IMO

Pop has had 3 really talented guys forever, and a lot of interchangeable parts. One guy leaves he plugs in the next guy that has bounced around and wins. That gives me far more confidence that Pop would win with less talent. We've been saying for 5 years it seems. "The Spurs are going to fall off this year" Yet Pop works his magic and they keep winning, he's added probably 3-5 years to Timmy's career. He has been lucky that he has always had a group of guys that only care about winning. Not many superstars would sacrifice minutes and stats for more years like Timmy has.

He lucked out in Chicago, he kind of picked his luck in LA. Tex Winters deserves a lot of props for helping Phil too. IMO

Pop has had 3 really talented guys forever, and a lot of interchangeable parts. One guy leaves he plugs in the next guy that has bounced around and wins. That gives me far more confidence that Pop would win with less talent. We've been saying for 5 years it seems. "The Spurs are going to fall off this year" Yet Pop works his magic and they keep winning, he's added probably 3-5 years to Timmy's career. He has been lucky that he has always had a group of guys that only care about winning. Not many superstars would sacrifice minutes and stats for more years like Timmy has.

But to me, the guys that get plugged into Pop's system are good players. It's not like he's making bad/average players good. I think he does make his players better, but as an organization they do a really good job of finding guys who will fit. They have their core and then they change out role players who can defend, rebound, and shoot 3s and it's no surprise to me that the system keeps working.

BTW, to me having those role players is more important than having your core 3-4 guys. I think you can win with 1 or 2 core guys if you are 8-9 deep. In 4 title runs, Tony Parker was pretty terrible in 3 of them.

But to me, the guys that get plugged into Pop's system are good players. It's not like he's making bad/average players good. I think he does make his players better, but as an organization they do a really good job of finding guys who will fit. They have their core and then they change out role players who can defend, rebound, and shoot 3s and it's no surprise to me that the system keeps working.

I don't think coaches develop players that much, I think its generally on a players work ethic. But a coach puts them in better positions to succeed, and Pop does that consistently. Its no coincidence that Patty Mills efficiency increased a ton under Pop. Or that Green and Splitter became solid players under him. Yes the system is the reason, but its his system. Phil's wasn't even Phil's.

I think I would too. I view them as about even, but Pop is much more my style and I find him a lot more likable. I kind of hate Phil.

I just think if you give them a franchise at ground zero and say "win a title." Pop does it infinitely faster. Think about it, Phil had the GOAT, a top 5 SF, a top 5 PF, a top 7 SG, a top 5 center (who was the most physically dominant guy of our era). Pop had the GOAT PF, and a top 5 C early. Parker is maybe a top 20 PG that was benched in the fourth quarter the first few titles. I do think Manu would have been a beast elsewhere, and sacrificed more than anyone for titles.

If Phil would have been there for Timmy's full career they wouldn't have won last year. IMO He would have ridden him into the ground, unlike Pop who extended his career.

BTW, to me having those role players is more important than having your core 3-4 guys. I think you can win with 1 or 2 core guys if you are 8-9 deep. In 4 title runs, Tony Parker was pretty terrible in 3 of them.

Depends on the coach and system. How many 1-2 star teams have won the last 15 years, how many are serious contenders this year? People often forget how bad Parker was.

One advantage I would give Phil is managing personalities. He was a brilliant manipulator, and could get guys to play together. Until he couldn't and retired till the Lakers got better players. Lol

Fwiw Phil is 3rd behind Pop and Larry Brown for me.

Hey Huff you are a documentary geek like myself, give me a good one to watch.

Print the Legend (3D printer, tech geek awesomeness)
With Great Power (Stan Lee)
Restrepo (if you want your day ruined)

King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters is my favorite documentary all time

VN Store

Back