The Official New York Knicks Thread.

I thought that they would regress, and losing to the Cavs is regression. Amare and Melo just are not on the same page. Oh well, give it 8 more games and we'll see.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Cavs would have a great record if the played the Knicks more often

That was a huge win!!! This team may win a series if they can get it together in time.

Knicks waive Azubuike and are buying out Corey Brewer. Walsh is up to something. Those moves surprise me.

Gotta admit I was extremely skeptical of the Mello trade. But after watching Chauncey Sunday night, I think he might be the leader this team needs. They will go as far as he goes which might be the Eastern Conf. Finals. Not holding my breath on it but it wouldn't surprise me depending on how the seeding shakes out.

Sign Derrick Brown from Charlotte. Avg. 4 pnts a game in 11 min. For those obsessed with fg%, he's shooting 55%. That's means Brown > Melo.

Tough loss against the Magic. Second half was pg play and the Knicks Achilles heel right now is defending the 3pntrs. Dwight Howard showed why he is a top 10 player.

Tough loss against the Magic. Second half was pg play and the Knicks Achilles heel right now is defending the 3pntrs. Dwight Howard showed why he is a top 10 player.

Maybe the Knicks lost cause Melo scored 17 points from the field on 24 FG attempts. Melo missed more shots (16) than anybody else took for both teams (except Amare with 17). Call me crazy...

Last edited:
Maybe the Knicks lost cause Melo scored 17 points from the field on 24 FG attempts. Melo missed more shots (16) than anybody else took for both teams (except Amare with 17). Call me crazy...
I'd say it has much more to do with having absolutely no one to match up with the best center in the NBA and having guys like Bill Walker and Anthony Carter getting meaningful minutes off the bench. That might be just me though.

I'd say it has much more to do with having absolutely no one to match up with the best center in the NBA and having guys like Bill Walker and Anthony Carter getting meaningful minutes off the bench. That might be just me though.

Yeah there's a lot of reasons they didn't win, but Carmelo is the only reason that costs max $.

WTF! happened to my post?

Last edited:
I hate this sorry Droid! I'm standing in line for the new iPhone.

You obviously didn't watch the game. I thought before you just had tunnel vision with your obsession with fg% but now I realize that you're just remarkably ignorant about the game in general.

The reasons the Magic won:
1) Dwight Howard is the best C in the NBA, the Knicks don't have a C.
2) Jameer Nelson got white hot in the 2nd half.
3) Billups got knocked out of the game at crunch time.

fwiw Melo was out of the game a large part of the 2nd qtr. When he returned to end the half the Knicks immediately built a 3 pnt lead to 11 with Melo only scoring 3 of those.
In the 4th, with Melo on the bench for an extended period, the Magic made an 11-4 run that iced the game.

For your #'s obsession, GMs, coaches, and scouts, (the people who actually understand the game) focus on 2 stats, TS% and PER. Melo is one of only three forwards in the entire league with a TS% over 54 (the league avg) and a PER over 20. (the other 2 are Lebron and Durant)

For your #'s obsession, GMs, coaches, and scouts, (the people who actually understand the game) focus on 2 stats, TS% and PER. Melo is one of only three forwards in the entire league with a TS% over 54 (the league avg) and a PER over 20. (the other 2 are Lebron and Durant)

And people that actually understand stats laugh off PER. I don't really know anything about true shooting %.

TS% seems like a legit statistic. The math is solid for FGA (I don't totally understand the methodology for counting a FTA as .44 instead of .5). Melo is over league average (I am taking your word for it) but still only 27th among SF's. I have never said that he was a bad player, just bad for the money he is paid. I knew he was an average scorer, and he is having a pretty dang good season as a rebounder.

Interestingly Wilson Chandler is 18th among SF's

Hollinger's NBA Player Stats - ESPN Insider - National Basketball Association - ESPN

People that actually understand sports laugh off most stats.

People that actually understand sports laugh off most stats.

That probably has something to do with the fact that they don't understand advanced statistics.

Unfortunately there's no science to "understanding" sports. Supposedly some people do and some people don't. The funny thing is everybody in the sports establishment makes horrible decisions from time to time. So do they really understand or is it just a best guess?

NFL Football is not easily explained by stats and is not predictable.

MLB Baseball is a sport that is very well explained by stats, but the sport remains unpredictable.

NBA Basketball on the other hand is very well explained by stats, and is easily predicted.

Berri, (one of the statisticians that came up with the formula) smoked Hollinger and other NBA experts in a playoff bracket challenge a couple years back. I've seen his trophy.

Last edited:
Stats are important to losers that can't play sports. No offense.

Can't argue the truth. Only opinions, ideas, and theories can be argued.

TS% seems like a legit statistic. The math is solid for FGA (I don't totally understand the methodology for counting a FTA as .44 instead of .5).

If anybody cares, I now have a theory. I am guessing that it's because 12% of FT's come from and-1 situations. It's like a bonus FT that shouldn't be counted against you if you miss.

TS% seems like a legit statistic. The math is solid for FGA (I don't totally understand the methodology for counting a FTA as .44 instead of .5). Melo is over league average (I am taking your word for it) but still only 27th among SF's. I have never said that he was a bad player, just bad for the money he is paid. I knew he was an average scorer, and he is having a pretty dang good season as a rebounder.

Interestingly Wilson Chandler is 18th among SF's

Hollinger's NBA Player Stats - ESPN Insider - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Again, if stats are leading you to the conclusion that Carmelo is only an average scorer and that the Nuggets are better off with Wilson Chandler, your stats are letting you down.

Billups is out against Charlotte, we need Toney Douglas to step up big time. Status for Fri against Cleveland is still doubtful.

Again, if stats are leading you to the conclusion that Carmelo is only an average scorer and that the Nuggets are better off with Wilson Chandler, your stats are letting you down.

According to stats, Manu Ginobli is better than Derrick Rose. That's why common sense and logic will always reign supreme.

VN Store

Back