The Official Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Well, welcome to Las Vegas! NFL owners voted in favor of the move 31-1 (Miami being the lone vote against).

As a huge Raiders fan this is a bittersweet moment for me. I fully understand why the franchise wanted to move and I think they were justified in doing so. I think Las Vegas is a good fit for them. However Oakland will always be the Raider's home to me.

I kind of hope they call themselves the "Vegas" Raiders. The name has a bit more swagger to it, befitting of that franchise.

Last edited:
Here's a render of the new stadium to be built for the Raiders. I love the see through roof and I'm pretty sure it's retractable.

http://www.manicaarchitecture.com/projects/stadia/52-las-vegas-nfl-stadium

web1_webraidersrendering4aug25-copy_7025534.jpg

Last edited:
Will Oakland fans still go to games while the stadium is being built ? If I was one I wouldnt

Makes great business sense.. The NFL is about making money from large markets. IF they could, they would get rid of the franchises in Buffalo and Green Bay.. Very small markets

Will Oakland fans still go to games while the stadium is being built ? If I was one I wouldnt

They say they're going to play in Oakland for another two years until the Las Vegas stadium is completed. That said, Bud Adams said the then-Oilers would play two seasons in Memphis while Adelphia Coliseum was being constructed. One season of overwhelming poor attendance later, we saw what happened.

Good question but what's the alternative? Play in UNLV's 15,000 seat stadium?

I thought Sam Boyd held around 35 or 40 thousand?

Reactions: 1 person
They say they're going to play in Oakland for another two years until the Las Vegas stadium is completed. That said, Bud Adams said the then-Oilers would play two seasons in Memphis while Adelphia Coliseum was being constructed. One season of overwhelming poor attendance later, we saw what happened.

I thought Sam Boyd held around 35 or 40 thousand?

Figures though - they finally get a decent team on the field then move -- I have read Oakland fans are not happy at all about this

Figures though - they finally get a decent team on the field then move -- I have read Oakland fans are not happy at all about this

Then they need to place blame squarely on the city of Oakland and their elected officials! The Raiders have tried to negotiate a deal for a new stadium for years with the city of Oakland and were basically told to stick it.

Good question but what's the alternative? Play in UNLV's 15,000 seat stadium?

Sam Boyd's capacity is around 35K. I may be mistaken but someone connected to UNLV suggested a few months back that capacity could be increased to 45K for NFL games. Still an iffy proposition.

Sam Boyd's capacity is around 35K. I may be mistaken but someone connected to UNLV suggested a few months back that capacity could be increased to 45K for NFL games. Still an iffy proposition.

OK, my mistake! I was thinking that stadium was much smaller. Did it expand at some point in fairly recent history? I swear I thought that stadium was much smaller.

OK, my mistake! I was thinking that stadium was much smaller. Did it expand at some point in fairly recent history? I swear I thought that stadium was much smaller.

I'm not sure about recent expansion. One endzone - north or south, idk - is still open where some new seats could be set up. The Las Vegas Raiders...who woulda thunk it?

I'm not sure about recent expansion. One endzone - north or south, idk - is still open where some new seats could be set up. The Las Vegas Raiders...who woulda thunk it?

Wiki says 35k...gotta like a stadium that the Grateful Dead performed in 14 times and one that hosts the Monster Jam World Finals :)

The stadium was completed 46 years ago on October 23, 1971, at a cost of $3.5 million. Originally known as Las Vegas Stadium, the name was changed to Las Vegas Silver Bowl in 1978, Sam Boyd Silver Bowl in 1984 and Sam Boyd Stadium in April 1993. The seating capacity was 15,000 from 1971 until 1977, raised to 32,000 in 1978 and to 36,800 in 1999.[8] Except from 1999 to 2002, the stadium has had an artificial turf surface.[9] A $1.2 million renovation during the summer of 2015 replaced field turf that hadn’t been changed out in more than a decade and was severely worn from usage. Additionally, two rows totaling 860 seats were removed from the east and west sidelines to widen the field and drop Sam Boyd’s capacity to 35,500.[1]

With the the Oakland Raiders move to Las Vegas a new stadium tentatively called Las Vegas stadium will be built. The UNLV Rebels will join the Raiders at the new stadium in 2020 leading to the eventual demolition of Sam Boyd Stadium.[10]

It was 15,000 from 1971-1977. It was increased to 32,000 in 1978 and then 36,800 in 1999.

Edit: A post above beat me to it apparently.

Feel bad for Oakland but seems like everyone is leaving. Raiders are leaving, Warriors are heading across the Bay to San Fran, and the A's have been battling for a stadium forever. If they hadn't have signed a 10 year lease extension a few years ago, they'd probably be gone too.

Hopefully this means Vegas is a potential College football playoff venue. Would be unreal.

It's hard imagining that a town like Vegas could support an NFL franchise. With that said, the Raiders are certainly among the few that have a chance.

Whatever...

In the N.F.L.’s world, displays of principle and common economic sense are for chumps. Las Vegas and Nevada adopted the league’s preferred stance: They rolled belly up. Politicians raised taxes to provide a historic $750 million public subsidy.

This led to unremarked-upon cognitive d:)issonance in Las Vegas. Even as politicians increased taxes for stadiums, Clark County school officials voted last spring to increase public class sizes and to close a school for at-risk students. There was simply no money. “This is the last thing we ever want to do,” Linda Young, president of the school board, said at that time.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/03/...nav=top-news&referer=https://www.nytimes.com/

Feel bad for Oakland but seems like everyone is leaving. Raiders are leaving, Warriors are heading across the Bay to San Fran, and the A's have been battling for a stadium forever. If they hadn't have signed a 10 year lease extension a few years ago, they'd probably be gone too.

It's not about Oakland .. follow the money

Makes great business sense.. The NFL is about making money from large markets. IF they could, they would get rid of the franchises in Buffalo and Green Bay.. Very small markets

No way the packers leave, that fan base may burn down the whole city, but buffalo where would they go

Vegas is just under 5 hours away and my Broncos will play there once a year. This is good for me but I hate it. I hate the politics of major sports.

VN Store

Back