Week 11- HOUSTON TEXANS- 1:00 PM- CBS
Week 12- @ San Diego Chargers- 8:15 PM- NBC
Week 13- @ Cleveland Browns- 1:00 PM- CBS
Week 14- CINCINNATI BENGALS- 1:00 PM- CBS
Week 15- DETROIT LIONS- 1:00 PM- FOX
Week 16- @ Jacksonville Jaguars- 8:15 PM- NFL Network
Week 17- TENNESSEE TITANS- 1:00 PM- CBS

5 Primetime games

Pretty tough schedule, though... especially to start the season. The AFC South will be tough to win for the 6th consecutive season... but if they do, they'll definitely be ready for the playoffs by playing these good teams. Either that or they'll be real beat up going into the playoffs. Hopefully not, though, haha.

Colts and Jags in J-ville Thurs. night Dec. 18. I hope that is for the South Championship.:)

Colts don't have a selection in today's NFL Draft until 59th overall, which is late in the 2nd round.

Mayo just went to the Pats with the 10th overall pick. As a die-hard Tennessee and Indianapolis fan, this puts me in a tough spot. I'm happy as hell that Mayo went No. 10 overall. He's going to get paid, and he deserves it. But why New England?

Crap.

With the Colts' 2nd-round pick, they select...

Mike Pollak, C, Arizona State

Don't know much about this guy.

2 time All Pac 10 player. Can play both Center and Guard. Will play guard this year. Could be Saturdays replacement beyond that.

Analysis of Pollak per espn.com:

He isn't an overwhelming drive blocker and is going to have some problems when nose tackles line up directly over his head. However, he's the best center available. He gets into position quickly and has the balance to sustain his blocks. He also has the upper-body strength and lateral mobility to hold up in protection.

The Colts seem to be pretty good at evaluating O-Line talent. Also, Howard Mudd is a great coach. So I'd say in a few years this guy will be a valuable contributor.

So hopefully tomorrow we can pickup a DT, LB, and WR? Anything else we need?

Here are some guys I like:

LB: Ali Highsmith (why's he rated so low on draft boards?), Xavier Adibi, Tavares Gooden, Dan Connor, maybe Wesley Woodyard

WR: Earl Bennet, Early Doucet, and maybe Keenan Burton

DT: Pat Sims maybe.

Most of these guys are SEC. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones left, but I haven't been able to see them play much.

LB: Ali Highsmith (why's he rated so low on draft boards?), Xavier Adibi, Tavares Gooden, Dan Connor, maybe Wesley Woodyard

Most of these guys are SEC. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones left, but I haven't been able to see them play much.

I wouldn't mind picking up any of those guys you listed. If the Colts do what they usually do, they'll draft a bunch of players I've never heard of from very small schools. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though. Most of them seem to do pretty good in the Colts' system.

I would love to see them pick up Earl Bennett.

Espn.com's Round 3 mock draft has the Colts picking up Dre Moore, a DT from Maryland. I know that doesn't hold too much weight, though.

Last I heard, he ran an extremely slow 40 time. I believe it was around a 4.9 and also throw in the fact that he isn't that big.

I'd like to see them get Dan Connor in the third and Earl Bennett in the 4th if they are available.

I'd stay away from Burton. I really don't think he will ever amount to much in the NFL. I'd like to see them draft 1 WR, 1 DT, 1 LB, 1 RB, maybe a DE for depth and then take the best player available in the later rounds.

I'd stay away from Burton. I really don't think he will ever amount to much in the NFL. I'd like to see them draft 1 WR, 1 DT, 1 LB, 1 RB, maybe a DE for depth and then take the best player available in the later rounds.

Yeah, I wasn't really pencilling Burton in as a starter or anything. But the Colts need depth and I figured Burton would be available in the late late rounds. It'd be nice just to have another body if Marvin and Anthony get banged up again. There's probably someone out there that's a better choice that I'm just not familiar with.

I'd like to see them get Dan Connor in the third and Earl Bennett in the 4th if they are available.

Bennett went to the Bears and Connor to the Panthers already in the 3rd round. Still about 20 picks to go before the Colts select.

Side note: Brad Cottam just got drafted in the 3rd round to the Chiefs. He will have a very good teacher over there in KC.

I was just thinking. Dan Klecko left, right? That means the Colts don't have anyone that can play fullback. Maybe they'll draft Peyton Hillis. He'd be a good one that could also be a really reliable receiving threat as well as a short yardage runner.

Philip Wheeler Scout.com evaluaton:

Strengths: Possesses very good size and is well built for his height. Shows the ability to make plays outside the tackle box. He's athletic for his size. Is able to avoid a lot of block and sift through traffic. Wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler that flashes the ability to deliver the big hit. Times blitzes well, takes the shortest path to the quarterback and displays very good closing burst. Flashes the ability to run through blockers in the backfield and is a relentless pass rusher. Has experience lining up on the inside and outside.

Weaknesses: Is thickly built but doesn't play as strong as his measurables indicate. Can be overaggressive and overruns holes. Does not like to take on blocks and will get out of position at times running around them. Isn't physical or aggressive enough in coverage. Lacks ideal instincts in coverage, as well. Takes some false steps and over commits. Doesn't explode out of cuts, loses too much speed when forced to turn and run and lacks ideal man-to-man cover skills. Displays marginal ball skills and isn't much of a playmaker in coverage.

Overall: Wheeler played in all 12 games as a freshman in 2003, primarily on special teams, and finished the season with six tackles. He was redshirted in 2004. In his next two seasons (2005-'06), he appeared in 26 games (all starts) and recorded 153 tackles (26 for losses), 13 sacks, four interceptions and nine pass breakups. As a senior last season, Wheeler started all 13 games and turned in 89 tackles (nine for losses), six sacks, one forced fumble and five pass breakups. During his Yellow Jackets career, he spent time at middle linebacker, outside linebacker and defensive end. Wheeler has prototypical size for an inside linebacker but he plays a finesse game more conducive to the weak-ide position. Finding the right spot for him in the NFL might be tricky. He played multiple positions and had very good production in college. He also displays enough natural tools to contribute in the NFL. But the more we study him on film the more concern we have that something is missing. His recognition skills are spotty, especially in coverage and his natural instincts are questionable. He also seems to lack a certain degree of toughness. As a result, Wheeler has too many question marks in our opinion to warrant consideration any higher than Round 3.

4th round pick for the Colts:

Jacob Tamme, TE, Kentucky

Strengths: Displays good initial quickness off the line of scrimmage and gets into his routes in a hurry. He possesses outstanding speed for the position. Is fast enough to run past many LB's one-on-one and has the burst to stretch the field vertically down the seam. Displays a very good natural feel for reading coverage and finding soft spots in zone. Displays soft hands; secures the ball well in traffic, can snatch on the run and is able to catch the ball over his head. He gets upfield quickly and is a threat after the catch for his position. Secures the ball well and does a nice job of protecting it as a runner in traffic. He is extremely comfortable working out of the slot and split out wide. Takes good angles as a blocker and has great feet to get into position on the second-level. At his best as a blocker when working in space. He has been durable throughout his career and he has a good overall work ethic.

Weaknesses: Vastly undersized for NFL TE and is even a bit undersized for NFL H-Back. Plays with a narrow base and will seriously struggle to hold up at the point of attack as an in-line blocker in the NFL. Gets rag-dolled by bigger DE's and LB's when working in the phone booth. Even when he locks on in perfect position he struggles to sustain blocks. He can get held up at the line of scrimmage when LB's lock onto him in press coverage. He's not a physical runner after the catch and doesn't break as many tackles as he should. Durability is also an issue.

Overall: Tamme arrived at Kentucky in 2003 as a wide receiver. He redshirted his first year and late in the 2004 season was moved to tight end. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 35 games (24 starts) and amassed 77 receptions for 798 yards (10.4 average) and five touchdowns. He played through the 2005 season despite a labrum tear in his right shoulder, and then tore the labrum in his left shoulder in November of that season. (Both required surgery in the offseason.) Tamme also missed a game in 2006 because of a right hamstring strain. As a senior, he started in all 13 games and delivered 56 receptions for 619 yards (11.1 average) and six touchdowns. Tamme also has some special teams' versatility, having blocked two punts and served as the Wildcats' backup holder on placekicks during his college career. Tamme is essentially an overgrown wide receiver with outstanding speed for his size. He clearly needs to add bulk and improve his strength in order to hold up as even an H-back in the NFL. Tamme projects as a mid-round pick but only for teams in search of a one-dimensional pass-catching H-back.

VN Store

Back