The Official #9 Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN2

I think LSU has lost 3 or 4 in a row and will lose again tomorrow night against Auburn. We are catching them at a good time

I would argue we are catching them at the worst time. Just like Kentucky. You don’t want to play desperate teams. All that said, we should still win.

It's almost as if Barnes sees Edwards every day in practice and has a good idea of what he can / can't do.

If Barnes is smart, he'll set up a phone in his office so you can call him directly with your gems.
So because Barnes knows what he can/can’t do, that means he shouldn’t be getting more playing time in the multiple blowout wins we’ve had? Ziegler and edwards are the only two true point guards we have. He may not be great or ready at all, but what is the downside to getting him more playing time in these blowout wins? Surely that wouldn’t make him any less ready than he is. If I had to guess, that would only make him more ready. Is that thought difficult for you to follow? That’s all I’m questioning. God forbid Ziegler goes down, we’re gonna be in a bad position at pg.

So because Barnes knows what he can/can’t do, that means he shouldn’t be getting more playing time in the multiple blowout wins we’ve had? Ziegler and edwards are the only two true point guards we have. He may not be great or ready at all, but what is the downside to getting him more playing time in these blowout wins? Surely that wouldn’t make him any less ready than he is. If I had to guess, that would only make him more ready. Is that thought difficult for you to follow? That’s all I’m questioning. God forbid Ziegler goes down, we’re gonna be in a bad position at pg.

Or perhaps Barnes has rules for practice that you have to meet in order to EARN PT in a game. That’s part of the culture, which is more valuable than giving someone garbage minutes if they haven’t earned them during practice.

I’ll answer your question, although it has been hashed and re-hashed over and over. Barnes has specifically reserved some of that “garbage time” for getting reps for those 9-10 rotation guys. He believes that 3-5 minutes can be very important tinkering with different options, and adds value to improvement as a team down the line. The goal is not to get everyone minutes every blowout. It’s to get better as a team with 10 guys that will be playing at crunch time.

Reactions: Kas232323
Kenpom rating is better when we dominate teams also, which may factor into seeding. If Edwards isn’t ready it could kill his confidence

Reactions: cardvolfan
His 2nd half performance doesn’t cancel out the first half. If he does that against a team that’s good enough to take advantage of it we’re in trouble. Absolutely horrific first half play from him. Credit to him though, he didn’t let it get in his head and had a fantastic 2nd half.
Got the perfect cornerback mentality. Put him in a 6'+ body and he's all-SEC caliber.

Reactions: RockyTop140
I would argue we are catching them at the worst time. Just like Kentucky. You don’t want to play desperate teams. All that said, we should still win.
Depends on health. Key is sick. Vescovi and uros are hurt. ON is on a milk carton more often than not. Not sure we can hang with many teams with a roster so compromised. Plus, the place seems to bring out the worst in us. Hoping for a win, but not that confident we can get it.

I think it’s safe to assume it’s possibly a culture decision.

Barnes has a history of letting very talented young players ride the pine because in his opinion, they aren’t meeting the standards he demands to earn minutes.

And when it’s your job to balance egos and maintain a culture, you can’t compromise.

This is true however KY has more talent than “most” teams in the SEC.

Any team can “get it together” for a game especially after they’ve been embarrassed……however KY has the “talent” to beat just about anyone…….if/when they “get it together.”

If Tennessee plays bad……especially if they are down SV LSU could definitely win; however they don’t have near the talent as KY to try and get something together.

I do agree Tennessee should handle them.

This is true however KY has more talent than “most” teams in the SEC.

Any team can “get it together” for a game especially after they’ve been embarrassed……however KY has the “talent” to beat just about anyone…….if/when they “get it together.”

If Tennessee plays bad……especially if they are down SV LSU could definitely win; however they don’t have near the talent as KY to try and get something together.

I do agree Tennessee should handle them.
LSU is bad. A bunch of athletes but no real basketball players.

It wouldn’t necessarily surprise me to see LSU beat either Auburn tonight or Tennessee Saturday, especially if we are still short.

i rewatched last nights game and i was thinking about BHH transferring. If he hadn't left we wouldn't have Tobe Awaka. That dude if he continues to work and puts in the effort he is going to be a monster. Love watching this guy play.

i rewatched last nights game and i was thinking about BHH transferring. If he hadn't left we wouldn't have Tobe Awaka. That dude if he continues to work and puts in the effort he is going to be a monster. Love watching this guy play.
We had an open scholarship, both could’ve been here.

Except... you implied his lack of playing time is hindering us now with Vescovi and Key out.

VN Store

Back