The Official #9 Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#9 Tennessee Volunteers: 14-3 (4-1 SEC)
FmdKoWdaYAEpxH4

@

Mississippi State Bulldogs: 12-5 (1-4 SEC)
ss_20230114_214156090_2157891.jpg

GAME 18 | TENNESSEE at MISSISSIPPI STATE - Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023 | 7:01 p.m. ET | Starkville, Miss. | Humphrey Coliseum (10,575)

Line: UT -6
O/U: 123.5

TV: ESPN2 / Watch
Radio: Vol Network / Listen / Live Stats
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM: 158 / Internet: 962
Online: WatchESPN.com

Miss State Game Notes

FmnhlFaWQAEu_v3

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads its all-time series with Mississippi State, 89-44, dating to 1924.
• When the series is contested in Starkville, the Vols own a 31-29 advantage.
• The Vols have been victorious in seven of their last 10 trips to The Hump. That dates to 2008.
• Tennessee has won eight of the last nine meetings overall.
• Tennessee defeated MSU, 87-53, in Knoxville on Jan. 3. The Vols also beat the Bulldogs twice last season, logging wins in Starkville and Tampa.
• Tennessee is 2-1 in games for which Chris Jans is a member of the opposing coaching staff. That includes a home-and-home series split with Wichita State in 2012 and 2013.
• The Vols have won four straight SEC road games, dating to last season (not including three neutral-site wins in Tampa).

SCOUTING REPORT

• The Vols have been No. 2 in the NCAA's NET ratings since Jan. 3.
• Tennessee ranks among the top 10 nationally in six different statistical categories.
• These Vols have won eight games by 30 or more points.
• During conference play, Tennessee leads the SEC in scoring defense (57.0 ppg), field-goal percentage (.504), assists (19.4 apg) and assist/turnover ratio (1.49).
• Zakai Zeigler is averaging a league-best 7.4 assists during SEC play.
• Santiago Vescovi is averaging 15.2 points in SEC games, shooting .509 from the field and .419 from 3-point range.
• Starting forwards Olivier Nkamhoua and Uros Plavsic have combined to shoot .694 in SEC play.
• Over Tennessee's last three games, Uros Plavsic is UT's top rebounder (5.7 rpg) while ranking second on the squad in scoring (12.0 ppg).
• In Tennessee's 14 wins, true freshman Julian Phillips averages a team-best 6.1 rebounds per game.
• UT's bench is giving the Vols 23.8 points per game.

ABOUT MISSISSIPPI STATE

• Mississippi State (12-5, 1-4 SEC) has dropped two out of three games since its first meeting with Tennessee two weeks ago on Jan. 3—defeating Ole Miss at home before falling at Georgia and Auburn.
• Overall, the Bulldogs have lost five of their past six games after starting the season 11-0 and ascending to No. 15 in the AP Poll.
• Mississippi State is 7-1 at home in Humphrey Coliseum this season, with the lone loss coming to the current No. 4 team in the nation, Alabama.
• The Bulldogs' defense ranks near the top of the SEC and nation in several statistical categories:
• Scoring Defense: 57.5 ppg (5th in D-I/2nd in SEC)
• Field-Goal Percentage: 38.5% (15th/3rd)
• Steals: 10.1 spg (8th/2nd)
• Mississippi State also ranks eighth in the nation in offensive rebounding with 13.8 orpg.
• Redshirt junior forward Tolu Smith, a preseason first-team All-SEC selection, has been a force this season for the Bulldogs—averaging team-high totals of 14.0 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.
• Smith was limited to just nine points and two rebounds by Tennessee on Jan. 3—his season-low in rebounding and one of just five times this season he has been limited to single-digit scoring.
• Smith's 58.8 field-goal percentage leads the SEC, while he is also elite at getting to the free-throw line—ranking 13th in the nation and first in the SEC in free-throw attempts this season (120).
• Just behind Smith statistically for the Bulldogs is senior forward D.J. Jeffries, who averages 9.4 points and 6.3 rebounds per game.
• Tennessee Director of Video and Analytics Luke Schapker served as a manager at Bowling Green during Jans' lone season as BGSU's head coach in 2014-15.

This is going to be a hard fought game. They were embarrassed at TN. They will be fired up.
Signs we have righted the ship...
  1. Santi plays more than 15 minutes before he picks up his 2nd foul.
  2. ON rebounds the ball a lot and does not look lost on offense.
  3. Tolu does not go off.

I hope this team doesn't have a hangover from Kentucky, but I fear they will. I think Miss State will beat them by 5, they are not as bad as the first game suggests.

I hope this team doesn't have a hangover from Kentucky, but I fear they will. I think Miss State will beat them by 5, they are not as bad as the first game suggests.
Don't know if they'll be hung over, but I think the fans certainly are. The UK debacle left a mark. It certainly put a less than enthusiastic/optimistic light on this team. I know I'm approaching the rest of the season with some degree of skepticism. Guarded is the best way to describe it.

I won’t be able to watch tonight, which is maybe a good thing. Ha. But, totally agree. We need to hit the boards. Get on the glass on the road if you want to win.
It's on ESPN2 and that's not part of my package which means I'd have to exert some effort in order to watch 'em. Not sure how I'll feel tonight. Guess it's a game time decision on my effort.

Road game against a desperate team that has to start winning now if they want any chance at making the dance in March...short turn around from the embarrassing performance Saturday on Lofton's retirement day.

Hope to see a great bounce back game from a focused team. Against Kentucky Phillips only played 18 minutes and Olivier/Aidoo both only played 14. We're not as good of a team when Key is playing 30+ minutes so need to see those three players be far more productive tonight.

Road game against a desperate team that has to start winning now if they want any chance at making the dance in March...short turn around from the embarrassing performance Saturday on Lofton's retirement day.

Hope to see a great bounce back game from a focused team. Against Kentucky Phillips only played 18 minutes and Olivier/Aidoo both only played 14. We're not as good of a team when Key is playing 30+ minutes so need to see those three players be far more productive tonight.
I've been unpleasantly surprised with Key's performance. Really thought he'd be a veteran presence we could count on. Instead, it's almost like he's saving himself for the defensive end and it's impacting his offense? Just can't explain what I'm not seeing from him. Maybe the jump up to play in this league is simply more than he's capable of handling? He's been the most disappointing player for me so far. I'm used to seeing ON and Plavi disappear, but didn't think that would be an issue with Key.

Love these Vols but, Saturday was a kick in the head. We really need Awaka, Aidoo, On, and Zeigler to get the ball to go through the hoop and not just bounce off. Zeigler had a horrible game Saturday. Vescovi‘s threes evaporated. Play like that tonight and get beat. Keys to a win? Score more than they do. Simple as that.

I've been unpleasantly surprised with Key's performance. Really thought he'd be a veteran presence we could count on. Instead, it's almost like he's saving himself for the defensive end and it's impacting his offense? Just can't explain what I'm not seeing from him. Maybe the jump up to play in this league is simply more than he's capable of handling? He's been the most disappointing player for me so far. I'm used to seeing ON and Plavi disappear, but didn't think that would be an issue with Key.

I think between missing all of last season and jumping from Indiana State to Tennessee he's just not in condition to play full out like some of the other guys with a year or more in the system. If the entire team had the conditioning/motivation that Santi and ZZ have we'd be undefeated right now.

Key in SEC play: 5.4 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.8 apg while shooting 28.6% FG, 31.6% 3PT, 71.4% FT

Really wish we had pulled in one of the other true PGs we were after (Yuri Collins or Tyrese Hunter) but gotta roll with who we have was hopeful Mashack would see more playing time in SEC play, but he's nearly fallen out of the rotation in the past 2 games he's only gotten 5 minutes also confused why Awaka hasn't played more than 8 minutes in last two games. He had 9/6 in 16 minutes against Mississippi State and then followed that up with 5/6 in 11 minutes against South Carolina. Unless I'm missing something not sure why he went from those two games to just 2 minutes against Vandy and only 6 against Kentucky.

Reactions: CAVPUT
This is going to be a hard fought game. They were embarrassed at TN. They will be fired up.
Signs we have righted the ship...
  1. Santi plays more than 15 minutes before he picks up his 2nd foul.
  2. ON rebounds the ball a lot and does not look lost on offense.
  3. Tolu does not go off.
4. Uros dominates in back to back games.

Another game against a team likely to be playing desperate, but this time on the road. Going to have to play a good game and play smart, avoid early foul trouble. Just find a way to win, idc the margin or how ugly it looks, just figure out how to get out of there with the W.

VN Store

Back