The Official #5 Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, SEC Network

I was referring to smith getting all the whistles. Don’t try to turn this around
Oh so Smith played in a bubble? Tons of physicality and contact but it immediately stopped when they fed Tolu in the post? Lol.

We saw this same thing with Edey. We physically couldn’t match so we fouled every possession, some which weren’t called.

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
We had a chance to move up possibly 3-4. With this loss we will move down to #17
Miss St isn’t that great.
Provided Tennessee beats Alabama (Georgia*) on Saturday, they will almost assuredly remain in the Top Ten. There's still a lot of basketball left to play this week and losing to State isn't exactly losing to Amherst.

Last edited:
Reactions: EasternVol
Well, not a bad loss on the road. I'm not even upset. Kenpom had MSU at # 30 before this game. Proud of the fight in the 2nd half and we didn't wither after getting smacked around in the 1st half. I still like this team alot and we can learn from this effort. Goal is to get everyone contributing consistently. Full court press and up tempo got us back into the game when MSU bullied us in the halfcourt.

ZZ was incredible all game (26 pts and 7 assists) but took some questionable deep shots early late in the game. Knecht showed us what he is capable of again and really is the key player for a deep run later in the year. When he gets on a run, it is a thing of beauty. Needed 2 of those FTs that he missed late however, but otherwise everyone who was giving him grief on this thread in the 1st half.....he made look stupid. 28 pts/6 rebounds/3 steals/1 assist and only 1 TO.

Officials didn't help but too be expected on the road. It is what it is. Next up is Georgia in Athens.
Too bad he gave up at least 2 layups & 2 dunks on the defensive end. Still hasn't figured out how to play D.

Aidoo cannot play with physical big men. He's proven time and time again he is not up to the challenge. Jonas will continue to struggle with these types of players. Just too weak.

Reactions: Hoggervol
The biggest concern I had in the offseason is proving to be our biggest issue. We cannot defend any team with an above average 5. It’s time to start giving Estrella more minutes because we cannot count on aidoo and awaka to stay out of foul trouble with teams that have posts that can play. We need a third big man in the rotation.

Looks like we need to play our Freshman center some at the 4 position. Awaka has a problem with athletic big guys. JJJ is not very consistent and should lose some minutes. Gaineyis just going down hill and cost us a lot of points with missed shots and turn overs .

Last edited:
Vescovi gotta chill on the early fouls. He cannot get into any rhythm offensively when he has to sit on the bench for long stretches. Just needed a couple 3s from him tonight.

I think that’s a game where JP & Cade probably should have been given some minutes. May not have changed the outcome, but I know both would have given more than 0-5 & 1 TO that Gainey gave us.

We need someone that can pick up the slack on defense when Santi is out, Gainey & Freddie both failed to do it.

Especially in the first half. Obviously there was some momentum in the second half despite Vescovi and JJJ playing sub-optimally, but I could have done without the Gainey clown show and nothing was going right after the first media timeout anyway.

VN Store

Back