The Official #4 Tennessee vs #14 Alabama Game Thread, Saturday 8pm/ESPN

So many moments:
1. Santi with 3 steals in a row to break their rhythm
2. Mashack with that ridiculous corner dagger followed by the over the middle interception
3. Barnes for managing the fouls and personnel and making multiple in game adjustments
4. Someone (Santi? He was drawing up plays during timeout) who adjusted the offense late which led to open 3s and open drives b/c Knecht was swinging the ball instead of trying to force it
5. The FREAKIN defense the last 12 min
6. Gainey giving us 9pts in a half that saw 40% of our usual players limited by fouls
7. JJJ with one of his best ever games--key shots, defense, and critical rebounds
8. ZZ controlling the game late, putting Sears out of business again
9. The ridiculous mental toughness to win this in their house against their A game

Wow. Wow. Wow.
I don’t think it was their A game. You know why? Because we freaking took it away from them! The first 28 minutes we definitely got their A game and then our defense put them over our knee and gave them a whoopin! The last 14 minutes or so was more like a F game as Bama scored 16 points over the last 14 minutes (just under 14 I believe) and it was because of our defense. Very impressive.

We won this game--again--with our defense. And, believe it, this kind of defense is what we will need come NCAA tourney time. It can make the difference when you're not shooting well.

We were poor offensively---DK, Ziggy and Gainey--had bad shooting nights, but we played tough and physical, and toughed out a victory, which is a good sign. Amazed that we took 40 Treys tonight--too many, for sure--and only made 12. Lousy. Gainey was 0-6 from the 3-line: He never fails to disappoint with his shooting, though he did end with 9 points and the supporting cast came through with points--JJJ w/11 and a dagger trey, Santi with 8 and Mashack with 8. To get 36 points from those 4 guys was huge.

To beat both bama and kentucky on their courts is super-sweet. As good as it gets...almost.
At least it’s better than 9/37! I agree far too many though. We’re usually at our best offensively when we’re 50-60% of that attempt number.

Reactions: walkenvol
Well, I've learned my lesson about picking against the Vols in these big road games, even though I believe SC will be a more difficult environment than Coleman. I don't know of another team in the country that will have played as challenging a schedule as UT over the final 2 weeks of the regular season. I have to remind myself that last year at this time ZZ had been sidelined with that season ending injury, otherwise, who knows how far that team might have gone? His presence and contribution to this team cannot be overstated. In fact, it appeared to me that Oates took a moment to address ZZ personally after the game. I am just thankful that everyone is healthy at this point and pray they remain that way. I truly hope and believe that this team will make history for UT this year! Keep going Vols! Wish I could be there in person in Colonial Life on Wed.!!!!
SC will certainly be tough but they’ve lost to UGA and LSU at home. Bama’s only home loss was Clemson early in the year and Clemson is better than both UGA and LSU. Bama is just better than SC so if we can win at Bama we can win at SC.

“Gainey was 0-6 from the 3-line: He never fails to disappoint with his shooting”

You’re not running your mouth about final fours without Gainey

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Bama is a 3 point shooting team or drive for layup or dunks by their bigs. Nothing else no 6 footers , no 10 footers, no elbow shots, Oats don't believe in it, his metrics says shoot a layup or dunk or a 3. This is why I don't think they'll make the F4 and I said the same thing last year when they had that killer player Miller. You just cant win 6 games against NCCA 64, in a row living by the 3. JMO
Their defense isn’t built for a deep run. Like you said, those 3s don’t fall one night in their large and weird arenas, a pretty common occurrence, and it’s lights out.

I wasn’t able to watch live, finally finished watching recording of the game. It was obvious Pat Adams hates TN, commentators desperately wanted Bama to win, Bama fans, players and coach wanted refs to cheat for them. It was a very stressful game to watch but oh so satisfying at the end.
As often do, I went back to rewatch some of the game to see if my ORANGE lenses during the action altered my view of reality.

First, go back to the DK foul call on the three point shooter that both Bilas and Coach roasted him for. Their hips were 2-3 feet apart as DK flew toward the corner, and the only contact was fingers to fingers with the shooters arm NOW parallel to the sideline NOT following his shot and his hand well outside his cylinder. Similar to throwing your foot out. Freeze frame it to see the truth. The disparity of application of judgement of incidental contact is evident.

Second, go back to 10 minute mark and see the contact allowed on Aidoo on the play under the goal when he had a couple of rebound putbacks, to almost exactly a minute later when he was whistled with multiple replays showing clearance with him purposely avoiding contact. Hate this.

Flopping and Sears being allowed to create clearance on drives, especially at the key, with his off arm outside his cylinder are not far behind. To let him by with it and then whistle a foul on a flop a couple of steps later is eyerolling UGH worthy.

As often do, I went back to rewatch some of the game to see if my ORANGE lenses during the action altered my view of reality.

First, go back to the DK foul call on the three point shooter that both Bilas and Coach roasted him for. Their hips were 2-3 feet apart as DK flew toward the corner, and the only contact was fingers to fingers with the shooters arm NOW parallel to the sideline NOT following his shot and his hand well outside his cylinder. Similar to throwing your foot out. Freeze frame it to see the truth. The disparity of application of judgement of incidental contact is evident.

Second, go back to 10 minute mark and see the contact allowed on Aidoo on the play under the goal when he had a couple of rebound putbacks, to almost exactly a minute later when he was whistled with multiple replays showing clearance with him purposely avoiding contact. Hate this.

Flopping and Sears being allowed to create clearance on drives, especially at the key, with his off arm outside his cylinder are not far behind. To let him by with it and then whistle a foul on a flop a couple of steps later is eyerolling UGH worthy.

The refs were intimidated by the Bama crowd. You knew going in Vols were not getting any breaks from the officials. Sears has gotten away with what he does all season. Be interesting to see if he still gets away with it in the NCAA tourney.

If you think the officials are bad in the men's game, your head would explode watching a LV's game. I think those officials all come from a local rec league.

SC will certainly be tough but they’ve lost to UGA and LSU at home. Bama’s only home loss was Clemson early in the year and Clemson is better than both UGA and LSU. Bama is just better than SC so if we can win at Bama we can win at SC.
The biggest obstacle against SC is getting back up after such a gutsy emotional win. But they’re the only opponent to win in TBA this year. So we should be motivated.

Slow down buddy. We still have two very tough games left. I think we go 1-1. Which I'd be happy with
If we can win, why not roll with positivity versus being Debbie Downer. I'll deal with a loss when we lose. It will likely happen. Go Vols! I want Coach Barnes to score the NCAA Championship Trophy. He deserves it. So do the Vols.

His positive comments were at least 65% slanted towards bama. He also kept calling fouls against us but I don’t remember any he commented on against bama. Dude really is biased, and a total douche canoe slobbering all over the team that just lost at home!
Yep, when Knecht got fouled in the corner, Bilas said the fans are furious and I can't blame them. Then they showed it over in slow motion and defender karate chopped DKs forearm, then Bilas 🤔said, there may have been a foul there.

Suck it Bama inbred trash we just swept you. Blew you off the court in Knoxville and ripped your hearts out on your home court. I say it’s great to be a Tennessee Vol and we don’t give a damn about the whole state of Alabama!!!!

VN Store

Back