The Official #4 Tennessee vs #14 Alabama Game Thread, Saturday 8pm/ESPN

Thanks for posting that! Fascinating! Where did you find that feed? Does our radio crew offer the same?

Having not yet seen any of the game--except for a replay of Mashack's 3 from the corner and then immediate interception of Bama's next pass--I looked for and watched the Bama radio crew in the minutes leading up to that critical point in the game. Very satisfying.

Also interesting was the lone, short sleeve orange shirted guy in the background, who showed no reaction at all. Just kept his arms crossed.

Must've been at the game with his father-in-law who also bought the tickets.

Self control is always to be admired.
I was looking for the Bama post game show with Oats and that radio broadcast YouTube video popped up. It was interesting to see the announcers agonizing over the game just like all fans. That was indeed a superb national ESPN tv game as was the Auburn game. I thought the Tide broadcast was good overall.

However, ultimately the stage was set for a huge Bama victory celebration but the Mighty Vols sealed the clutch win and marched out of the arena to wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Bilas is an arrogant SOB, par for the course for a Dukey. It was ridiculous how everything was from an Alabama point of view all night long. Give me Dykes, Bradshaw, or Bradley any day.
His info is usually pretty accurate but i swear he said Aidoo was a transfer from Marquette. Where'd he get at?

Reactions: vol94 and walkenvol
Seems like Aidoo verbally committed (maybe just leaning that way) but didn’t sign with Marquette and then we hired the Marquette assistant coach who was his main recruiter? I’m sure someone will correct me if my memory has failed me!

His info is usually pretty accurate but i swear he said Aidoo was a transfer from Marquette. Where'd he get at?
I heard him mention Marquette at some point but was only half listening. He mostly sounds like the Teacher from Charlie Brown to me calling our games……”wah, wah, wah, Tennessee is too physical, wah, wah, wah, physical, wah, wah, physical”

I have tried several options to avoid the TV commentary. Since the radio coverage on 99.1 and Sirius are way out of sync, I turn off the TV sound and leave it off during play, when play stops I turn on the UT commentators. This avoids the bias coverages and is more enjoyable.
If you have pause and if the video is ahead of the audio (two big ifs), I wait until a ball hits the net on a made shot or it goes out of bounds. Pause at that point (stream WIVK) and start it back up when Kessling desctibes the made basket.. It works. Now if the audio is ahead of the video, it won't work.

Reactions: StarRaider
didn’t see a game thread so i guess ill make it. if yankee vol decides to make one this can be merged or deleted with that being said here’s tonight’s refs.

You don't think Pat Adams missed the call, Sears foot Clearly out of bounds with 10 seconds to go. Game was over but just shows you what to expect.

Attachments

• 20240303_154734.jpg
    20240303_154734.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 42
If we can win, why not roll with positivity versus being Debbie Downer. I'll deal with a loss when we lose. It will likely happen. Go Vols! I want Coach Barnes to score the NCAA Championship Trophy. He deserves it. So do the Vols.
It's okay to be positive and not be unrealistic.

It's a fact: He's not shot well all season. I was a Gainey booster early in the year, when he wasn't shooting well. I
said no worries, he'll come 'round and be an important player for us,
because he's got a nice-looking jump shot, is athletic and can defend. His defense has been his strong suit,
but it's not happened offensively. He's been a bust as a shooter: 34 percent total, and 28% from the 3-line, the worst percentage among
our main rotation. Mashack, who's supposedly our weakest guard offensively, is shooting 38% from the 3-line--10
points better. When you play 13 minutes and take 6 threes during that brief time--only 1 fewer than DK took in 28 minutes--and miss them all, you're not helping that much. He did give us some points in the first half, and I'm sure he'll keep playing to give Ziggy a blow--but he'd help
us more by concentrating on defense and taking fewer shots.

Even when Gainey is ice cold, he never sees a shot he doesn’t like. I’m not down on him, but when it’s not working he needs to do better at creating something for one of his teammates.

James hit some big shots tonight. SV had so many steals... Mashak though was huge. Sometimes different guys have to step up. When your 2 bigs don't play for 70% of the first half and your best scorer is off, and you still find a way to win against a really good team on the road, that's huge. We definitely weren't at our best tonight which makes me feel even better considering we grinded this one out.
Gainey kept us in the game in first half with nine points. Great coaching by Barnes as he said the coaches prepared to play small ball” due to Bama’s offensive style.

Even when Gainey is ice cold, he never sees a shot he doesn’t like. I’m not down on him, but when it’s not working he needs to do better at creating something for one of his teammates.
Barnes tells him to take the open shot. If he doesn’t, then Gainey will see the bench.

Reactions: Caculator
As often do, I went back to rewatch some of the game to see if my ORANGE lenses during the action altered my view of reality.

First, go back to the DK foul call on the three point shooter that both Bilas and Coach roasted him for. Their hips were 2-3 feet apart as DK flew toward the corner, and the only contact was fingers to fingers with the shooters arm NOW parallel to the sideline NOT following his shot and his hand well outside his cylinder. Similar to throwing your foot out. Freeze frame it to see the truth. The disparity of application of judgement of incidental contact is evident.

Second, go back to 10 minute mark and see the contact allowed on Aidoo on the play under the goal when he had a couple of rebound putbacks, to almost exactly a minute later when he was whistled with multiple replays showing clearance with him purposely avoiding contact. Hate this.

Flopping and Sears being allowed to create clearance on drives, especially at the key, with his off arm outside his cylinder are not far behind. To let him by with it and then whistle a foul on a flop a couple of steps later is eyerolling UGH worthy.
Something did alter your view of reality with respect to DK's third foul. It's okay to watch through Pantone 151 glasses or Bacardi 151 glasses, but not both.

I asked this in another thread, but it might get more views here:

Who does Bama lose next year? I don’t know who has eligibility left or not with the Covid stuff. Assume Spears leaves and Estrada is a grad transfer. Does Nelson have eligibility left? What about Pringle?

I want to continue beating them. I know they have a good recruiting class coming in.

Yep, when Knecht got fouled in the corner, Bilas said the fans are furious and I can't blame them. Then they showed it over in slow motion and defender karate chopped DKs forearm, then Bilas 🤔said, there may have been a foul there.
It did look like a bail out in real time. When they showed the replay it was clearly an arm chop.

I thought I heard that too but convinced myself that he must have been talking about one of the Bama players. I don't always pay that close attention to the announcers if I'm really into the game. I don't have to be told what's going on I've been watching for about 40 years now.

His “Money” calls are the most annoying thing I’ve ever heard from a sports broadcaster. Thankfully I don’t have to listen to him during the games.
I agree. It's really annoying, especially in highlight videos because it's like every other word.

I thought I heard that too but convinced myself that he must have been talking about one of the Bama players. I don't always pay that close attention to the announcers if I'm really into the game. I don't have to be told what's going on I've been watching for about 40 years now.
He said it about Aidoo. It was weird.

Reactions: ColinS
Something did alter your view of reality with respect to DK's third foul. It's okay to watch through Pantone 151 glasses or Bacardi 151 glasses, but not both.
Well......
1709568247209.png

1709568397663.png

Notice the shooter's hand out towards the baseline, not following the ball to the basket. AT THE 13:43 MARK IF INTERESTED.

EDITED TO ADD....

As far as the FAIRNESS issue.... EXACTLY 10 seconds earlier on his drive to the basket, notice the contact on his arm.....

1709569668334.png

OR JUST EARLIER, NOTICE THE SEARS BODY CONTACT ON HIS STRIP ATTEMPT OBVIOUSLY STILL CUTTING IN FRONT OF HIM...
1709570201729.png

Last edited:

VN Store

Back