The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I’ve noticed since Awaka last missed a monster dunk attempt, that he’s been getting the ball quickly on the backboard which reduces the chances of being blocked. Any thoughts on whether that same style can be effective against Creighton’s center? If so, I’d call that play until Creighton proved they could stop it.

You’ve seen something I’ve missed if you view Dillione as an option right now, and I typically respect your opinion.
I prefaced it by saying "in a vacuum" meaning I don't think there's any way that it happens with all outside factors present (his youthful mistakes, his lack of experience, his slow development with principles of team defense).

I just think of our available options for the role I described, offensively, he has the best blend of size (he's 6-5), ball-handling ability, attacking mindset, and finishing ability (he's 10-16 from 2, most have been drives at the basket).

Everyone else I mentioned has a severe limitation in one (or more) of those areas.

Reactions: Lefteye
I obviously will probably change my tune if we win, but I really right now just want to get to another EE. As I said in the other post, we gotta get over this hump, and Barnes really needs this. If we do win of course I'll be like "I just want a Final Four" but man, just let us win this and everything else will be gravy.

I obviously will probably change my tune if we win, but I really right now just want to get to another EE. As I said in the other post, we gotta get over this hump, and Barnes really needs this. If we do win of course I'll be like "I just want a Final Four" but man, just let us win this and everything else will be gravy.
Maybe it’s silly but I don’t want to lose to another lower seed in our region. If we lose to Purdue in the elite 8 so be it, but I’m gonna be aggravated if we lose to Gonzaga, while still grateful for the run we did have

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Friday's game is the ultimate crucible for Barnes. His entire career's narrative largely hinges on the outcome - not saying that it's right or fair, but it is what it is.

Maybe it’s silly but I don’t want to lose to another lower seed in our region. If we lose to Purdue in the elite 8 so be it, but I’m gonna be aggravated if we lose to Gonzaga, while still grateful for the run we did have

I can understand it. Mostly I want and EE becaues it's the last think Pearl slurpers hold over Barnes.

It is quite the exaggeration actually.
Is it? We lose Friday, this board's gonna be lit up with drive-by Barnes bashers, media narratives about how Barnes just can't get it done in March (and once again lost to a lower seed) will abound. We win, and the curse is broken, second elite 8 in school history, hang a banner, etc. I'm not saying I agree - I think Barnes is an excellent coach and we're lucky to have him regardless of what happens Friday. But all y'all know how the unwashed masses are gonna react if UT gets bounced for the second year in a row to a mid-major team.

He wouldn’t. Do they only run drop coverage with Kalkbrenner? The post didn’t exactly specify, but it mentioned that’s their general defense. You can run a pick and roll with folks other than Aidoo. I like Aidoo’s ability to shoot, but he has not been consistent with it late in the year.

The 2 point midrange shot is the worst in the game, so I assume that is part of their overall defensive strategy, regardless of Kalkbrenner.
It’s mostly just a Kalk thing, teams typically 1/5 screen to create a switch which Creighton doesn’t do and plays the drop coverage. If you try a 3/4 PnR they would just switch it.

Reactions: berryvol
Is it? We lose Friday, this board's gonna be lit up with drive-by Barnes bashers, media narratives about how Barnes just can't get it done in March (and once again lost to a lower seed) will abound. We win, and the curse is broken, second elite 8 in school history, hang a banner, etc. I'm not saying I agree - I think Barnes is an excellent coach and we're lucky to have him regardless of what happens Friday. But all y'all know how the unwashed masses are gonna react if UT gets bounced for the second year in a row to a mid-major team.
Where have you been? That's just another day on this forum 😆

UT was ranked 6th in polls, top 2 seed, many thought should be a 1 seed.

Based on the above, why shouldn't everyone expect UT to win Fri.?

I will be very disappointed if UT loses. Vols need to meet expectations this season.

Play pick and roll with JJJ and DK. On 2/3 of those videos, the screener is wide open for 3. Let JJJ drive the ball (midrange is his bread and butter), and tell DK to float to the 3 line. If Kalkbrenner drops, then Aidoo won’t be near as effective in the pick and roll.
Was going to post the same...would definitely love to see DK as the pick man see how they handle it.

Thise same drive-by posters will be in here raking Barnes over the coals if he loses in the national championship game, so you shouldn't put any stock in their opinion, and their manic reaction to a potential loss on Friday certainly won't define the 30-year career of a HOF coach.

Sure, losing Friday will be disappointing if it happens. Losing at any point is disappointing, but Creighton is an excellent team. This won't be like losing to FAU or Loyola Chicago. Suggesting that his career narrative will be defined by a singular loss to an equally talented team in a Sweet 16 game is reactionary.

This won't be like losing to FAU or Loyola Chicago. Suggesting that his career narrative will be defined by a singular loss to an equally talented team in a Sweet 16 game is reactionary.

I understand the point you are making.

But I want to pedantically point out that both FAU and Loyola were ranked as good or better than Creighton is on Ken Pom prior to the tournaments those years.

Loyola was top 10 IIRC.

They were two of the most underseeded teams in tournament history.

But I want to pedantically point out that both FAU and Loyola were ranked as good or better than Creighton is on Ken Pom prior to the tournaments those years.

Loyola was top 10 IIRC.

Right, they were both underseeded. I'm just talking purely from the perception of losing to vastly lower seeds in that we were a 4-seed losing to a 9-seed (FAU), or a 3-seed losing to an 11-seed (Loyola Chicago).

A 2 losing to a 3 is technically underperforming, but not in a surprising or shocking manner.

FWIW, Creighton was #11 on KenPom heading into the tournament. FAU was #17, last year. And Loyola Chicago was #31 in 2018.

Reactions: walkenvol

Yeah but do they really matter? The window licker fans and the hot take "sports journalists" will spout about it but anyone serious would be laughed at for saying Friday in any way defines Barnes' career. And in the scope of UT basketball history he's at worst tied at the top imo. So while I will be pissed if we lose, that's a kneejerk reaction that will fade after a week or so.

Let's be clear....we're getting upset that we "only" are making the Sweet 16. For any long term UT basketball fan, let that sink in a second.

Loyola was top 10 IIRC.

Both years we had a great chance to make a deep run. It blows me away we ran into those teams. Seriously unlucky.

VN Store

Back