The Offical Selection Sunday Thread

It absolutely does. If we were Ole Miss, we would have played a bad schedule to get to 22 wins before the tourney. It is a cop out, and the committee historically favors teams who go out and play good competition.

Good grief. Losing helps nothing

We're in; I have a feeling, I had a dream, etc.

Sorry had a Dooley flashback.

But seriuosly, we're in.

Isn't there usually a leak before the show so we know ahead of time?

God Jimmy Dykes blowing his load all over Rocky Top on ABC right now! Hopefully he's right! GBO!

I agree and if ole piss doesn't win today I don't see them getting in. But, you can't get in just because you schedule good teams and lose them all.

Well that I agree with but this year we beat two top 55 teams (Wichita and UMass) and a top 100 team (Xavier). If we didn't have those wins, then I agree that our résumé is weaker. But Ole Miss can't touch those wins.

Wilbekin palms the ball when he dribbles Like every PG at Michigan State is taught to do. Pet peeve of mine they don't call that.

Jimmy Dykes just said we should be in over 4 or 5 teams projected to be in. He said he thinks we will end up getting in.

Don't think we make it honestly. We had a chance to take it out of the committee's hands but came up just short. I really think we should replace MTSU however.

I know this is off topic but can anyone explain to me what the difference is between RPI and BPI is?

I haven't totally researched it, but the BPI is something created by ESPN. My understanding is that it takes into account when teams have injuries. So, for instance, our win over UK wouldn't be as good because Noel was out.

There really is no logical reason to think that Mtsu is in over us. The only way we miss out is if Kentucky gets in bc they are Kentucky. Our strength of schedule will put us over the top.

anyone else think it's better if Ole Miss beats Florida? Wouldn't that take them off the bubble and put us in?

I know this is off topic but can anyone explain to me what the difference is between RPI and BPI is?

BPI is interesting because it makes me laugh. Bilas used to rail against the RPI, so he did his own with some other factors put in (such as a key injury when the game was played). Came out almost exactly the same as RPI. So he put a bunch more weight to point differential. I agree that it can matter. I also agree with him that beating teams should matter more than just having inflated ranking from playing great teams on the road and losing to them. But that's where the human analysis comes in rather than the spreadsheet. By trying to quantify the eyeball test, he put too big of a premium on point differential. Why penalize a team for going to its bench and doing some teaching once a game's in or out of hand? Why encourage bad sportsmanship by putting a premium on blowouts? Why penalize teams for a slower pace of play that yields fewer points and, therefore, closer victory margins?

The selection committee doesn't use BPI and it shouldn't. But it should also be careful to only use RPI as a tool and consider other factors the spreadsheet doesn't capture.

There really is no logical reason to think that Mtsu is in over us. The only way we miss out is if Kentucky gets in bc they are Kentucky. Our strength of schedule will put us over the top.

For your sanity I hope MTSU doesn't get in over us

VN Store

Back