The "Occupy" Rallies

yeah shutting down traffic has that effect on police

Everything I've read and the videos I've seen shows that 5-6 NYPD policemen led the protesters onto the road because the pedestrian walkway was being cramped. Once a few of the protesters sat down to intentionally block the path, they arrested them and then started arresting everyone else.

Philosophical query of the day - Is it really civil disobedience if you don't suffer consequences from the system you are trying to change? (e.g. get arrested for protesting)

I was driving through Toronto last year and a bunch of African (not sure what country) immigrants were protesting on a busy street about getting more relief money from Canadian government.

I'm unaware if they knew or not - but they protested on the same day that gov't was driving a fallen Canadian soldier on highway through TO, holding it up. This painted immigrants in a bad light for me. Might be bad for me to judge - but I am under the impression that immigrants come to our countries USA and Canada for a better life.

When they come here and act like all our country is good for is foreign aid...well it ticks me off. We accept you and give you all the rights we offer - and you throw it in our face with selfish crap. We will give the money we want to give to foreign countries - if you want to protest - do it somewhere respectful or ****.

/rant

Philosophical query of the day - Is it really civil disobedience if you don't suffer consequences from the system you are trying to change? (e.g. get arrested for protesting)

Good point. I wouldn't have had a problem with the protesters being arrested if they had all disobeyed and made a stand.

I kind of went off the rails there. I apologize. Was an infuriating day for me. We constantly get criticized for not giving enough money to 3rd world - but we give A LOT. People don't realize this.

Everything I've read and the videos I've seen shows that 5-6 NYPD policemen led the protesters onto the road because the pedestrian walkway was being cramped. Once a few of the protesters sat down to intentionally block the path, they arrested them and then started arresting everyone else.

wait so the cops led them into the road then arrested them for being there? Sounds plausible

I kind of went off the rails there. I apologize. Was an infuriating day for me. We constantly get criticized for not giving enough money to 3rd world - but we give A LOT. People don't realize this.

IIRC GWB gave more money in AIDS relief to Africa than anyone else.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

wait so the cops led them into the road then arrested them for being there? Sounds plausible

Just like college. Cop A breaks up the party. Cops B-Z arrest people leaving the party for public intoxication.

I think it is if you reasonably anticipate some kind of punitive action, even if you ultimately don't get it. Its being willing to take the risk which is itself symbolic of setting aside personal well-being or comfort to advocate for a cause.

I think it is if you reasonably anticipate some kind of punitive action, even if you ultimately don't get it. Its being willing to take the risk which is itself symbolic of setting aside personal well-being or comfort to advocate for a cause.

I would agree. That's partially why the dude with the raincoat is so funny - he'll be down there when it doesn't interfere with going to school and stuff. Hardly giving it all for the cause

Entirely plausible if the cops want to scare away the protesters. Just like the cop that walked up and maced peaceful women for no reason, then just walked away like nothing happened. Clear video of that, too.

cops B-Z too slow to catch PJ :gone:

Used to pay a friend's kid brother to keep a look out for cops.

Entirely plausible if the cops want to scare away the protesters. Just like the cop that walked up and maced peaceful women for no reason, then just walked away like nothing happened. Clear video of that, too.

I'm no fan of unnecessary use of force but I doubt you description is entirely accurate.

I'm no fan of unnecessary use of force but I doubt you description is entirely accurate.

After watching several of the videos on "Photography is not a crime," actions like the one above don't seem that extraordinary. Granted, of course, that a handful of videos isn't an indictment on an entire profession.

If I wasn't at work I'd link the video. Just Google "Anthony Bologna," watch the video, and judge for yourself. There are two seperate incidents on video of him macing protesters.

If I wasn't at work I'd link the video. Just Google "Anthony Bologna," watch the video, and judge for yourself. There are two seperate incidents on video of him macing protesters.

I saw the second "attack". I saw nothing wrong under the circumstances. If that is what people call crossing the line nowadays, just imagine the outrage if there were fire hoses and German shepherds.

Yeah, I went there.

I saw the second "attack". I saw nothing wrong under the circumstances. If that is what people call crossing the line nowadays, just imagine the outrage if there were fire hoses and German shepherds.

Yeah, I went there.

I was mainly referencing the first video, but did you actually see the slow motion 2nd video? He clearly pulls the pepper spray out and sprays the person recording him and the person right in front of him - as they are walking away from him. They were doing nothing violent, they were not being arrested.

Yeah, I went there.

Have you ever been pepper-sprayed?

I have. Three times. Wrong place, wrong time.

If you haven't, I suggest you try it and then decide if it is crossing a line.

I've been maced and tazered. Mace was an accident, tazer was on purpose. I'd get tazed a million times before I'd ever be maced again.

VN Store

Back