The NHL thread (Buffalo, well at least you are not Cleveland)

RIP Adam Johnson. I’m not going to watch the video, but a lot of comments from those who have seen it said that it looked intentional. The player who cut him is known as a hot head who has a history of being cited for violent conduct.
What is the non-intentional explanation for how that guy's leg ends up that far off the ice? I mean, it's up at Johnson's head, not knee or even waist level. Before he delivers the hit, it looks like he raises it up intentionally.

Reactions: tbwhhs
The video you can tell what happened but it's not super gory.

This is dirty AF. Manslaughter for sure imo.

I've been looking around some hockey forums trying to gauge how others feel about this, because in my friend group/family basically nobody else follows hockey. I'm surprised at the amount of folks who are getting really bent out of shape when someone comes along and suggests that it at least looks intentional. They seem very against the notion that he might have done this on purpose, even though the video looks awful.

I mean, I definitely don't think he intended to kill the guy, but I'm not convinced that he did not intend to throw his leg out to hit him lower, like in the torso or knees, and somehow caught him in the neck.

I've been looking around some hockey forums trying to gauge how others feel about this, because in my friend group/family basically nobody else follows hockey. I'm surprised at the amount of folks who are getting really bent out of shape when someone comes along and suggests that it at least looks intentional. They seem very against the notion that he might have done this on purpose, even though the video looks awful.

I mean, I definitely don't think he intended to kill the guy, but I'm not convinced that he did not intend to throw his leg out to hit him lower, like in the torso or knees, and somehow caught him in the neck.
See this is where I stand, I feel like the leg being up high had to be intentional. How many times in a hockey game do you see someone's leg get up at that high, very rarely if ever. Guys get taken out, lose their balance etc.... and their legs don't go flying like that. I'm not a hardcore hockey fan by any means, but I've watched enough to know this is a little more than a guy losing his balance.

Reactions: tbwhhs
See this is where I stand, I feel like the leg being up high had to be intentional. How many times in a hockey game do you see someone's leg get up at that high, very rarely if ever. Guys get taken out, lose their balance etc.... and their legs don't go flying like that. I'm not a hardcore hockey fan by any means, but I've watched enough to know this is a little more than a guy losing his balance.
Skates only end up that high when someone is tripped. See the Richard Zednik video from several years ago. Clearly an inadvertent, freak occurrence. This video? Eh...I'm not so sure.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Skates only end up that high when someone is tripped. See the Richard Zednik video from several years ago. Clearly an inadvertent, freak occurrence. This video? Eh...I'm not so sure.
The only one I've seen is the one where the goalie got his next cut.
I also remember coming across a video about a college hockey player who's neck got cut.
They both survived but they were clearly inadvertent plays.

The whole thing is horrible, and reckless. I don't know if it's criminal or not; it's just not something I can fathom.
He barely got touched and threw his leg up. He may not have meant to kill him, but it was 100% intentional IMO

He barely got touched and threw his leg up. He may not have meant to kill him, but it was 100% intentional IMO
Could have lost an edge on bad ice, or got a stinger, or made an a-hole move. I don't see anything that says he was out there to slice someone. I'm thinking it's just a horrible circumstance, until shown otherwise.

Dont click the link if you dont want to watch the video, but these are comments from a former NHL player. He believes that the outcome itsself wasnt intentional, but the kick was very intentional.

First time ever the Rangers have gone 5-0-0 on a road trip that long, which is kind of amazing. Igor won one last night, now to keep it up without Fox and Chytil for a little bit

Dont click the link if you dont want to watch the video, but these are comments from a former NHL player. He believes that the outcome itsself wasnt intentional, but the kick was very intentional.

If somebody knows something about stupid, dirty plays in hockey, it's Sean Avery. It's kind of like Jose Canseco talking about steroids. He isn't the most trustworthy source, but it is absolutely a topic he knows something about.

If somebody knows something about stupid, dirty plays in hockey, it's Sean Avery. It's kind of like Jose Canseco talking about steroids. He isn't the most trustworthy source, but it is absolutely a topic he knows something about.
Avery is a great source, and despite his shenanigans is a great student of the game and good at explaining situations

VN Store

Back