The NCAA is a shameful organization.

Charles Robinson‏@CharlesRobinson
Penn State signing "consent decree" is NCAA-speak. What it means is that PSU was fully on board. These are basically self-imposed penalties.

No what it means is they took this or else. It is like saying you agreed to give someone your wallet because they had a shotgun in your face.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally, I don't think it's worse than the death penalty. I think it's as close as the NCAA is going to get to the death penalty again. Look at the difference in money that's involved now, as opposed to 25 years ago. What would the NCAA's answer to that be for the other schools that would become involved if they canceled the season?

When SMU received the death penalty, they were also already on probation for doing the same things they were found guilty of again. The scholarship loss was not as significant, but the bowl ban is longer for PSU. Also, I don't think SMU was monetarily fined at all. $60 million against a university is a BIG deal. Who knows what the effect of that will be?

Personally, I don't think it's worse than the death penalty. I think it's as close as the NCAA is going to get to the death penalty again. Look at the difference in money that's involved now, as opposed to 25 years ago. What would the NCAA's answer to that be for the other schools that would become involved if they canceled the season?

When SMU received the death penalty, they were also already on probation for doing the same things they were found guilty of again. The scholarship loss was not as significant, but the bowl ban is longer for PSU. Also, I don't think SMU was monetarily fined at all. $60 million against a university is a BIG deal. Who knows what the effect of that will be?

Good post. I'm happy with what NCAA dished out. The NCAA used pretty much exactly what I thought they would to justify the penalties, character clause. Good for them.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

When you have to defend your actions with "we are not opening PAndora's box", you just admitted you are.

He was asked that so he answered it. He had 100% support of the executive committe and the D1 board. It's not like he acted on his own.

Good post. I'm happy with what NCAA dished out. The NCAA used pretty much exactly what I thought they would to justify the penalties, character clause. Good for them.

Strange how they never once mentioned the "character clause" in either Emmert's statement or the press release, if that's what they were basing this on.

He was asked that so he answered it. He had 100% support of the executive committe and the D1 board. It's not like he acted on his own.

So it's justified because the NCAA as a group unilaterally violated the bylaws, rather than just Emmert violating them by himself?

VN Store

Back