The NCAA is a shameful organization.

if the ncaa took no action, that would have been an admission of sorts that they had no authority to act. If they instituted the death penalty, it would have been the biggest punishment they could administer.

Either way, it's not being quantified.

I think the NCAA sanctions announced this morning are worse than a 1 yr suspension. These sanctions will bleed the program for a decade at least.

Penn State administration made a mistake in not proactively offering to suspend the football program and institute sweeping changes in how it conducts business (like immediately offering open access to its records).

I think the NCAA sanctions announced this morning are worse than a 1 yr suspension. These sanctions will bleed the program for a decade at least.

Penn State administration made a mistake in not proactively offering to suspend the football program and institute sweeping changes in how it conducts business (like immediately offering open access to its records).

Death penalty's more than a 1 year suspension though. Feels like some of the media's simplifying it for comparison's sake

Death penalty's more than a 1 year suspension though. Some of the media's simplifying

True. My point was that the PSU administration probably could have lessened the blow by imposing their own penalty immediately. It would have required the administration to act quickly and decisively which under the circumstances was too much to ask, I guess.

True. My point was that the PSU administration probably could have lessened the blow by imposing their own penalty immediately. It would have required the administration to act quickly and decisively which under the circumstances was too much to ask, I guess.

The Freeh Report had only been out for 11 days before the NCAA struck.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow.

60Mil
10 scholies a year for 4 years
Paterno's record shattered.
no bowls 4 years

This is beyond harsh. If I agreed that the NCAA had the authority to take this action I would still think it was overdone, but I dont. This will basically kill the town of State College.

One of the few times I'm proud of the NCAA. And they essentially said their ability was because of Character expected of the member organizations. NCAA should be applauded here.
And Sandusky actions and even more so the cover up for 14 years by Joe Pa, the AD, the Prez and VP killed the town of state college.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Agreed. Good example of hypocrisy by the NCAA. Now that we know they can just make up new rules as they go I guess its a different ball game. IMO the NCAA is the one that deserves the death penalty. The courts will sort all this other crap out.

They won't go to court. PSU signed off and have accepted the punishment.

Or they just as likely hired a law firm because they're going to have to be dealing with civil suits now/soon

That would be like hiring a divorce attorney to help you in your embezzlement criminal case, no? The firm handles ncaa appeals cases as a specialty as I understand it.

Charles Robinson‏@CharlesRobinson
Penn State signing "consent decree" is NCAA-speak. What it means is that PSU was fully on board. These are basically self-imposed penalties.

Penn State signing "consent decree" is NCAA-speak. What it means is that PSU was fully on board. These are basically self-imposed penalties.

That's not right! PSU is gonna fight this in court. Just ask bamawriter.

The Freeh Report had only been out for 11 days before the NCAA struck.

Eleven days is an eternity in disaster situations (e.g. Fukushima Nuclear plant). Most large corporations have contingencies if their products are found to be tampered, or a plant blows up, etc. Penn State should have planned since last November that the Freeh Report COULD be very bad.

Maybe they did, but at a minimum, they should have been communicating with the NCAA behind the scenes.

I read Erickson's remarks and he said they were on board. Guess they didn't have much choice.

Eleven days is an eternity in disaster situations (e.g. Fukushima Nuclear plant). Most large corporations have contingencies if their products are found to be tampered, or a plant blows up, etc. Penn State should have planned since last November that the Freeh Report COULD be very bad.

Maybe they did, but at a minimum, they should have been communicating with the NCAA behind the scenes.

It appears that they were.

I've said before that PSU should have had contingency plans in place to respond to whatever the findings show. But I'm not sure that they would, or should, have self-imposed sanctions of this sort.

It appears that they were.

I've said before that PSU should have had contingency plans in place to respond to whatever the findings show. But I'm not sure that they would, or should, have self-imposed sanctions of this sort.

If they were negotiating with NCAA, it must have broken down. Doesn't the NCAA almost always wait to see what a school will do first?

I never said anything even remotely close to this.

At 9:20 am in a reply to allvol123 bamawriter posted "Agreed. Good example of hypocrisy by the NCAA. Now that we know they can just make up new rules as they go I guess its a different ball game. IMO the NCAA is the one that deserves the death penalty. The courts will sort all this other crap out."
The courts will settle it out? Then explain what you meant there. And last night you posted that PSU will fight it in court.

At 9:20 am in a reply to allvol123 bamawriter posted "Agreed. Good example of hypocrisy by the NCAA. Now that we know they can just make up new rules as they go I guess its a different ball game. IMO the NCAA is the one that deserves the death penalty. The courts will sort all this other crap out."
The courts will settle it out? Then explain what you meant there. And last night you posted that PSU will fight it in court.

Wasn't me, chief. You should click my name and search my post history before making yourself look stupid.

Last edited:

LOL thats my comment.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back