The Memphis Postgame Report

I'll add that Richardson is the best leader on this team with Maymon out. He is what Golden needs to be. Some guys are just natural born leaders, and Trae isn't. CJ Watson wasn't either, but I don't remember CJ having these type of maddening performances we are seeing from Trae. He probably did, but it's been too long.

Loved his emotion. Other than TO's, J-Rich was awesome tonight.

Loved his emotion. Other than TO's, J-Rich was awesome tonight.

Yeah. Those and the missed dunk (which likely counted as one of them) were the only glaring negatives. 20 points combined with his defense makes those excusable.

We certainly didn't lose as a result of any of those "bad" plays. We missed 9 FTs...:banghead2: :furious3:

SIAP, but what do those who were there estimate the crowd breakdown was? Seemed like Memphis had a vocal group there on TV (at times at least)

I'm wondering if golden takes it on his own to slow it down. We've heard for probably a month that CCM wants them to run more, but when trae is in we don't see it. Insert BLo and all of a sudden we are running pretty often.

I think it's time to go with a startin 5 of BLo, McRae, Richardson, Hall and Stokes.

tweet that to coach zo he will see it :rock:

Underrated post.

I've had much rather preferred a 50-47 win.

Playing slow-Zo ball we gave up almost 50 pts in the first half so that preference wasnt working. Vols opened it up late and made a game of it

85-80 loss felt a lot better than the first half blowout we were experiencing

It's been said but Josh and Jordy played great tonight. But a shout out to Kenny too, good game, nice energy. This has also been said but McBee needs to get some splinters, he is giving zilch right. Maybe he is a practice warrior, I'm more concerned with game warriors. Also Moore shouldn't see the floor. I know he doesn't play much, when he does it's bad play after bad play. He's out of control, bad d, and his left hand is allergic to the ball. It's been said too, maybe it's time for Lopez to start. But what does this do to Golden psychologically? We lost, but our guys kept fighting. For that I'm proud of them. Can't wait till Reese and Edwards get back. I still have faith that we make the tourney.

Let's face it, this season has been derailed by numerous injuries, some major (Maymon) and some nagging (Golden, McBee). The rest of this season should be used for players like McRae, Yemi, Richardson, etc. to develop and gain valuable experience. We will at least make the elite 8 next year with Maymon, Stokes, Hubbs, Golden, McRae, Richardson, Yemi, Reese, Edwards, Chevious, and Lopez.

Playing slow-Zo ball we gave up almost 50 pts in the first half so that preference wasnt working. Vols opened it up late and made a game of it

We weren't playing that slow in the first half, and part of playing slow is making them also play slow, and we definitely didn't do that in the first half.

I'm with Z in that I'm not worried about our defense.

HOWEVER, if tonight's defensive performance IS an indicator rather than a fluke, I'm not sure how far we'll make it this year. I still have faith in this team, but we've gotten this far because of our defense. If it turns out we can't even rely on that anymore, then maybe we just aren't a good team.

The talent level between UT and Memphis was one sided. We were playing with 1 walk on , Lopez and 1 former walk on , McBee most of the game against a team with mostly 4 and 5 star recruits. No one on our team would start for Memphis.

Memphis certainly imposed their will in terms of tempo. Tennessee fell behind by trying to fight back with a slower tempo, which they were unable to control. When we decided to abandon the slower pace and just run with Memphis, we mounted our comeback.

Hopefully, this is a learning experience for CCM. Big, athletic, teams like Memphis, that want to run and gun, will be difficult to slow down for a relatively unathletic Tennessee team that can't hit from outside, nor work the ball inside with any consistency. We may have to "go with the flow," so to speak, in games like this, and let our players make plays in transition.

It's been said but Josh and Jordy played great tonight. But a shout out to Kenny too, good game, nice energy. This has also been said but McBee needs to get some splinters, he is giving zilch right. Maybe he is a practice warrior, I'm more concerned with game warriors. Also Moore shouldn't see the floor. I know he doesn't play much, when he does it's bad play after bad play. He's out of control, bad d, and his left hand is allergic to the ball. It's been said too, maybe it's time for Lopez to start. But what does this do to Golden psychologically? We lost, but our guys kept fighting. For that I'm proud of them. Can't wait till Reese and Edwards get back. I still have faith that we make the tourney.

Pretty spot on analysis of Moore. He looks like a lost ball in high weeds out there, and right now, he looks a lot like a taller version of Washpun. He needs to improve greatly in the offseason, or he could see the same fate.

Let's face it, this season has been derailed by numerous injuries, some major (Maymon) and some nagging (Golden, McBee). The rest of this season should be used for players like McRae, Yemi, Richardson, etc. to develop and gain valuable experience. We will at least make the elite 8 next year with Maymon, Stokes, Hubbs, Golden, McRae, Richardson, Yemi, Reese, Edwards, Chevious, and Lopez.

At least make the Elite 8?!?! Lofty expectations for a program that has done that exactly once in it's history.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but you sound like you expect it and will be disappointed otherwise. Lots of fluid variables a year and a half out to have those type expectations IMO.

Memphis certainly imposed their will in terms of tempo. Tennessee fell behind by trying to fight back with a slower tempo, which they were unable to control. When we decided to abandon the slower pace and just run with Memphis, we mounted our comeback.

Hopefully, this is a learning experience for CCM. Big, athletic, teams like Memphis, that want to run and gun, will be difficult to slow down for a relatively unathletic Tennessee team that can't hit from outside, nor work the ball inside with any consistency. We may have to "go with the flow," so to speak, in games like this, and let our players make plays in transition.
And I think, if he doesn't learn, he's finished.
His style of offense would stifle even Hubbs.

And I think, if he doesn't learn, he's finished.
His style of offense would stifle even Hubbs.

You may be right. There is certain to be a happy medium between Pearl's offensive philosophy, and Martin's.

It's really quite simple, if Maymon plays we win. If Hubbs is on the bench instead of the stands we win. If we get both next year do I really need to spell it out for you. Just think of what our expectations were for this team last year going into the season. If you would have told me we are at this point with are BB program at this time 2 years ago, I would have taken it and ran with it.

The Vols looked like a completely different (and much improved) team in the second half when they had to run with Memphis.

What did the Vols score in the second half? 53 points or so? That's 33% more than they've scored in entire games this season.

Martin has to spark the offense with some transition scoring. It'll be imperitive for the Vols going forward.

It's really quite simple, if Maymon plays we win. If Hubbs is on the bench instead of the stands we win. If we get both next year do I really need to spell it out for you. Just think of what our expectations were for this team last year going into the season. If you would have told me we are at this point with are BB program at this time 2 years ago, I would have taken it and ran with it.

You guys don't win this game with Maymon, not if Black is healthy.

It's simple to assume that, but having either of them available changes the entire dynamic. If either plays, you likely don't get 20 & 24 from Richardson & McRae respectively. Its also not like the guys who played in their (Maymon and Hubbs) stead cost us a chance at winning. Kenny had his best game of the season in the post, Yemi played well in limited time, and I've already listed the guards contributions.

You'd have a more valid point if we played without Stokes, and Chievous in his place went 1-9 with 6 TOs. That's a more simplistic and probable, impact changing switch.

VN Store

Back