The Memphis Postgame Report

Bama is free falling. If Reese and Edwards play, I like our chances against Ole Miss and Bama.

I would like to see this lineup (if possible): McRae, Richardson, Reese, Edwards, Stokes. That would help spread the floor.

McBee doesn't need to start. He's a bench player. McRae should start with Reese being the 6th man and not McRae.

I hope Golden gets better. We'll be hard pressed to beat anyone with him playing bad/awful.

Also, remember we play at Bama. We have stunk on the road.

Reactions: 1 person
They have Sweet 16/Elite 8 talent. They have NIT coaching.

Pastner couldn't coach a team on defense if his life depended on it. When UT puts up 80 on you then that tells me a lot. I highly doubt we get that total again this year.

Memphis will go as far as their talent will take them. Once they match up with comparable talent and better coaching, they're done. See the Louisville game for proof.

Honestly, their athleticism is the only reason they won the game. I'm not saying that's bad. Bruce did the same thing for six years. A lot of coaches have done that and have great success.

McBee doesn't need to start. He's a bench player. McRae should start with Reese being the 6th man and not McRae.

I hope Golden gets better. We'll be hard pressed to beat anyone with him playing bad/awful.

Also, remember we play at Bama. We have stunk on the road.

Agree with you there. Reese can at least shoot and play D. We need that.

I like Trae, but if he doesn't shoot well, everything goes into a funk. You can't have that.

I know. Hopefully we can get a couple road wins. I know UVA and G'Town weren't pretty but they were close unlike last year OOC.

McBee is CCM's Steven Pearl. McBee shouldn't even be playing, he just isn't a division I talent.:crazy:

Two coaches have decided that McBee deserves playing time. I wouldn't off what I've seen from games, but he apparently is in beast mode at practice and as a coach you are in a tough spot.

McBee is CCM's Steven Pearl. McBee shouldn't even be playing, he just isn't a division I talent.:crazy:

He's a role player who isn't fulfilling his role. Hopefully he gets it figured out because this team doesn't have any sort of consistency from three point range.

Honestly, their athleticism is the only reason they won the game. I'm not saying that's bad. Bruce did the same thing for six years. A lot of coaches have done that and have great success.

Pearl loved those type of games. That's why he won most of them against Fla, Memphis and the like. Any team that doesn't play a lot of defense, Pearl's teams feasted on.

started slow. no guard play. Mcbe is terrible. Did play well once we figured out who our players were. Need to start games with more intensity which can be done by changing lineups.

started slow. no guard play. Mcbe is terrible. Did play well once we figured out who our players were. Need to start games with more intensity which can be done by changing lineups.

I like this idea. Remember when we changed lineups before the UF game and it worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, Stokes isn't even two times better than last year. Better player development by Pastner?

Stokes the good and the bad:

The Good- strong- good hands- can be a good rebounder
The bad: Slow and can not jump. poor foul shooter and foul prone

Disappointed in his development so far but he is just 18 or 19 years old.

Look how much Joe Johnson has improved over the years, hope Stokes does the same!!!

Scored 80 points.
Cuonzo needs to watch the film and rethink his offensive scheme.
These guys can't play slow.
Entertaining game though.

Trae's playing with a bruised shoulder.

Right now, it's time to push the pace and let Richardson/McRae's athletic ability be the offense with Stokes as the half court option.

I'm wondering if golden takes it on his own to slow it down. We've heard for probably a month that CCM wants them to run more, but when trae is in we don't see it. Insert BLo and all of a sudden we are running pretty often.

I think it's time to go with a startin 5 of BLo, McRae, Richardson, Hall and Stokes.

Unfortunately, Stokes isn't even two times better than last year. Better player development by Pastner?

Actually thought stokes played pretty well, was aggressive. He was playing some of his best ball the first 10 minutes until a flop cost him his second foul.

He plays 32 minutes and he probably has 15pts 12rbd.

1. Lopez is your starting pg.

2. McBee needs to start his GA career, he's just not D1 talent.

3. Cuonzo has this team playing way too slow.

4. Trae Golden needs to ride the pine a while.

5. Stokes got the ball and immediately reacted. That's nice progress.

You could see Josh Richardson's confidence building throughout the second half. This could pay big dividends later. He's got a hell of a midrange game.

McBee at 100% is marginal at best. McBee at 75% shouldn't see the floor. He's a liability at both ends, especially against athletic, quick teams like Memphis.

What, exactly, is the status on Reese and Edwards? Reese would have been a huge help, especially when Stokes had to sit and Memphis blew the game open.

No such thing as moral victories, but we competed hard for 40 minutes against a more talented (albeit poorly coached) team. If Richardson doesn't miss the dunk, the roof blows off TBA, and who knows what happens? 11-5 in the SEC isn't out of the question for us, and that should get us into the Dance. Not giving up on this season just yet.

BTW, the uniforms were absolutely awesome! I love those! Not a hint of hideous black on them anywhere. Kudos to whoever designed them.

To all the people complaining about our slow, low-scoring, 'boring' style of play, I have one question:

Does this feel better?

I preferred the pace of the 2H (scored 52 pts and won the half) to the sluggish 1H (scored 28 pts and lost the half). Two completely different halves, IMO, and not reflective of one "style".

You could see Josh Richardson's confidence building throughout the second half. This could pay big dividends later. He's got a hell of a midrange game.

McBee at 100% is marginal at best. McBee at 75% shouldn't see the floor. He's a liability at both ends, especially against athletic, quick teams like Memphis.

What, exactly, is the status on Reese and Edwards? Reese would have been a huge help, especially when Stokes had to sit and Memphis blew the game open.

No such thing as moral victories, but we competed hard for 40 minutes against a more talented (albeit poorly coached) team. If Richardson doesn't miss the dunk, the roof blows off TBA, and who knows what happens? 11-5 in the SEC isn't out of the question for us, and that should get us into the Dance. Not giving up on this season just yet.

Reese rolled an ankle in practice. According to Martin, he has a tough, legitimate sprain. No timetable on his return.

Edwards has a knee sprain. Was questionable tonight and didn't play.

McBee has a UCL tear and Golden hurt his non-shooting shoulder in practice awhile back. He hasn't been the same since.

ZJC, I didn't see your report and posted my thoughts in OMG's thread. Since I busted your balls for no reports recently, I am pasting my thoughts in here too. Appreciate the effort as usual...

If you had told me that Memphis forced their tempo, we would miss 9 FTs and at least 10 shots within 2', and allowed Memphis to shoot season highs from the field and from the 3-point line, I would have guessed we lost by 20+ points.

-The good news is we didn't give up.
-We discovered that we are not allergic to playing an uptempo pace. Our post players (Hall and Stokes particularly) fought for, and established position with authority, and the guards fed them well when opportunities presented themselves.
-McRae played offensively with purpose and looked to want to be a leader.
-Richardson is becoming the most complete player on this team with every passing game. -Kenny Hall played his best game of the season (maybe his career) and did so without fouling on every other possession.
-Yemi is solid on defense, yet unspectacular on offense. Richardson was last year too. If Yemi makes the same transition by next season, he could be a heck of a player. His lack of experience playing the game shows against teams like Memphis. I have faith that another offseason for him could make him a real threat offensively.

-The bad news is, asking this team to come back from 21 down is asking too much. There is just not enough offense.
-Our glaring lack of athleticism was grossly exposed tonight, and is the reason we will struggle against teams like UK, Florida, and Missouri. We may find a way to beat those teams, but it won't be because we are more athletic.
-Skylar McBee is killing his team right now, on both ends of the court.
-If Trae Golden had Lopez's leadership abilities, he'd be twice the player. Conversely, if Lopez had Golden's skill-set, he'd would be too. Can we combine them?

In terms of Memphis, I imagine this is what their fans imagined them looking like. They seem to play to their level of competition. Pastner didn't necessarily out-coach Martin tonight, but he didn't find a way to lose this game from the bench. If nothing else, he has assembled a great group of athletic players with dynamic skill sets. Sometimes, you just get beat by a team that makes shots, despite your best effort. Joe Jackson is becoming a helluva PG. I thought the Rondo comparison by the announcers was pretty spot-on. He really played well. PG play was probably the biggest difference in the game.

ZJC, I didn't see your report and posted my thoughts in OMG's thread. Since I busted your balls for no reports recently, I am pasting my thoughts in here too. Appreciate the effort as usual...

If you had told me that Memphis forced their tempo, we would miss 9 FTs and at least 10 shots within 2', and allowed Memphis to shoot season highs from the field and from the 3-point line, I would have guessed we lost by 20+ points.

-The good news is we didn't give up.
-We discovered that we are not allergic to playing an uptempo pace. Our post players (Hall and Stokes particularly) fought for, and established position with authority, and the guards fed them well when opportunities presented themselves.
-McRae played offensively with purpose and looked to want to be a leader.
-Richardson is becoming the most complete player on this team with every passing game. -Kenny Hall played his best game of the season (maybe his career) and did so without fouling on every other possession.
-Yemi is solid on defense, yet unspectacular on offense. Richardson was last year too. If Yemi makes the same transition by next season, he could be a heck of a player. His lack of experience playing the game shows against teams like Memphis. I have faith that another offseason for him could make him a real threat offensively.

-The bad news is, asking this team to come back from 21 down is asking too much. There is just not enough offense.
-Our glaring lack of athleticism was grossly exposed tonight, and is the reason we will struggle against teams like UK, Florida, and Missouri. We may find a way to beat those teams, but it won't be because we are more athletic.
-Skylar McBee is killing his team right now, on both ends of the court.
-If Trae Golden had Lopez's leadership abilities, he'd be twice the player. Conversely, if Lopez had Golden's skill-set, he'd would be too. Can we combine them?

In terms of Memphis, I imagine this is what their fans imagined them looking like. They seem to play to their level of competition. Pastner didn't necessarily out-coach Martin tonight, but he didn't find a way to lose this game from the bench. If nothing else, he has assembled a great group of athletic players with dynamic skill sets. Sometimes, you just get beat by a team that makes shots, despite your best effort. Joe Jackson is becoming a helluva PG. I thought the Rondo comparison by the announcers was pretty spot-on. He really played well. PG play was probably the biggest difference in the game.

Memphis controlled the game until about 10 to go in the second half. They forced their pace on UT in the first half and UT didn't combat it.

I'll add that Richardson is the best leader on this team with Maymon out. He is what Golden needs to be. Some guys are just natural born leaders, and Trae isn't. CJ Watson wasn't either, but I don't remember CJ having these type of maddening performances we are seeing from Trae. He probably did, but it's been too long.

Memphis controlled the game until about 10 to go in the second half. They forced their pace on UT in the first half and UT didn't combat it.

Agree, and when Tennessee finally decided they could play with Memphis in a fast-paced game, they made their comeback.

VN Store

Back