The media praises new and improved Butch Jones

I was waiting for him to say something bad but he didn't. He did a good job today. Hope he continues to be this way going forward.

as someone that's never been shy about criticizing CBJ when in front of a mic, and while i'll also concede that nothing said today translates in to a single W come fall.....i thought he was as good as he's ever been in front of an audience taking questions.

seemed genuine, while also staying true to himself. he didn't placate anyone, but he was as honest as he probably could be. he acknowledged several things that i didn't think he was capable of, one important one being the ability to not only take feedback, but demand it, from the other coaches.

i thought he was genuine in discussing the expectations of the program and of the fans, while also still acknowledging the progress that's been made.

maybe best off all, he avoided any/all wtf moments that could have generated a social media firestorm....

good day for cbj.

Can't remember who said it on Nashville radio last week but essential, "the less anyone is talking about UT football next week the better."

Mission Accomplished.

Reactions: 2 people
Can't remember who said it on Nashville radio last week but essential, "the less anyone is talking about UT football next week the better."

Mission Accomplished.
yep, agreed.

even better if the narrative is going to be "they suck out loud".:thumbsup:

Witch Doctor say he finally understands the knocksville/SEC sports media is not your friend. Dont give them red meat

BNL

Y'all are nuts. He just repeats firstandforemost..9wins...consecutivebowls...blahblahindividualblahblahButchJones garbage. He even tried saying South Carolina and Vandy were good teams. How is any of that any different than what he's always done.

A-ROD are you serious. What is he going to say, USCe and candy suck and give them locker room material along with the entire media being on him for saying a team that we lost to last years sucks. Seriously, when Saban plays some little team we know they are going to beat for Homecoming in his press conferences the week before the game, it sounds like Bama is playing the New England Patriots, Belichek (sp) and BRADY.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch has had a quiet intensity to him all offseason and I really like it. He knows what's at stake and it looks like he's in full put up mode.

I've seen plenty if his interviews, I've heard him speak in person a few times, the only issue I've ever had was,"Behind the chains.", he didn't use that, so I'm good.

Overall it seemed similar to his past interviews but now he gets praise instead of bashed. Good for him means good for the Vols.

So go out and win the east, beat bama again in Atlanta, win the Sugar Bowl and give a good ole fashion thrashing to somebody in Atlanta on January 8th.

It time to Rock the boats of the SEC and The NCAA.

I'm ready. Now is the time for the players and coaches to get to work and put their stamp on the world of college football.

Last edited:
look, getting paid while learning on the job is pretty cool...:)...he has made some changes as coach, each year, trying to get better...we've won bowl games, and he's still selling Tennessee and apparently, somebody is buying...I like the "new" Butch...so, give'em heck Butch...:pepper::pepper::pepper::clapping::rock::rock::salute:

As we all know, the media often bashes Butch for his cliches and coachspeak (not saying it's undeserved at times). I think it's worth pointing out the overwhelmingly positive reviews he received from his appearances at SEC Media Day this afternoon.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF0ajAVqSF8[/youtube]

Dari Nowkhah: "I thought what we just saw from him was the best media moments we've seen in five years from Butch Jones. I thought he was fantastic."

Booger
: "I thought he was outstanding."

Greg McElroy: "I think he handled everything today beautifully. He showed humanity, he showed humility, and he also showed a great understanding of the progress that needed to be made."

Booger:
"What's the biggest criticism of Butch Jones? Always got slogans. You didn't hear that. All you heard was a coach who talked about the process, talked about what he needed to get done and how he was going to do it. That's the Butch Jones we've been dying to hear for the last two or three years. Today we finally heard it."

Dari: "And he was personable! That's the other thing we needed to see." (Booger in the background: "YES! YES!")

Jordan Rodgers: "The thing I love is that I think you're starting to see a transition in him realizing you can't continue to do the same things over and over again and expect a different result and that's obvious in his coaching hires: bringing Brady Hoke on, talking about Fulmer. He's looking for people to invest in this program and teach him how to do it a different way, or see it just slightly different than he does and that's going to create progress and I think they are moving in the right direction, at least within that locker room."

It's hard to realize that you cannot have the best coaching staff in the USA because of the limitations and obstinance in the HBC...

The SEC has a way of humbling MAC coaches....just ask Jim Donnan....

I'm much happier having Butch as our coach than some Lou Holtz/Steve Spurrier quote machine. As long as opposing coaches respect our coach, I don't care what the media thinks of him.[/QUOTE]

I would've taken Spurrier with all of his quotes and faults here at UT--along with his 228-89-2 college record...and 8 SEC East titles and 7 SEC Coach of the Year awards on the hill....:salute:

Butch has a way to sell players on themselves. Come play for the Vols to be best you can be. We have world class facilities. Any student athlete will be as great as they are willing to work and commit to the team. That's hard to do. Look what it got those that stayed. All got injured and still got drafted. Could it be Butch has that part figured out and just need to "Let it eat."

What Jordan Rodgers said is what sticks out to me the most. The coaches that flame out are the ones who never seek outside advice and help and who never change. However, the great ones are always trying to adapt and learn what they can and do things better. This shows me that Butch is doing what's needed to get there. I really think we're going to be okay. Butch's biggest fault thus far has been his arrogance in being unwilling to change. But he's shaken almost every single staff position up except for Thigpen and Gillespie, and I think that's a positive thing. In our most desperate year for a spark, he's brought in 6 brand new, high energy, fantastic teachers/coaches that have already paid dividends on the recruiting trail, and bringing in Rock has apparently been a good move as well.

I think Butch is getting it together. And I really think that if just a few young guys step up, we may have a solid year.

Reactions: 5 people
I was impressed by what I heard from Jones and feel a bit better about the upcoming season. The thing that stuck out to me is he talked a lot about the value of having former head coaches on staff. He even implied they will be given freedom to share in making decisions. That is a good sign in my opinion.

Butch has had a quiet intensity to him all offseason and I really like it. He knows what's at stake and it looks like he's in full put up mode.

I think that this quiet intensity has more to do with the knowledge he has of the makeup of this team and what they can accomplish. I fully expect a much better year than anyone outside the program can foresee. I just have that gut feeling. Time will tell, but better buckle them seat belts. :twocents:

Hopefully Butch just lets his new assistants do their job instead of trying to take control of everything. I think his main problem last season was overthinking everything and trying to coach not to lose.

Hopefully he's changed for the good.

I am with you on this, Butch may not be the best coach, but he is a good administrator, he can recruit, now get good coaches and let them do their job. If they can't do it fire them and move on to the next one. Had Fulmer been willing to change assistants quicker he might have still been there. When you find good coaches do whatever it takes to keep them, never lose a coach to a lateral move.

I knew he was changing when he hired 3 coaches with HC experience. That is huge imo, and shows he is willing to listen to others. I think he grows a bunch as a HC this fall. I really believe we win 9-10 games. The S/C hire was the best hire in all of CFB. Shoop will have that D playing much better, and that was the reason we lost 3 games last year. Bama just went Bama on us. I feel optimistic this year.

Reactions: 3 people
At the end of the day this season is not about Butch. It is all about the guys in the trenches, especially our offensive line.

Will they finally play up to their potential and stay healthy?

If they do, we will have a surprise year and get to Atlanta by just wearing the majority of our opponents down.

If we get a repeat of last year's under-performance and injuries, then we will likely have a losing record and some injured QBs.

That is SEC football, though, where there will only be a few moments between glory and ignominy in any year.

VN Store

Back