The Majesty of Atlanta Falcons Football

Penix was a very interesting selection and Cousins could have some sort of injury.

The quarterback room just became very competitive.
Penix will be a high paid clipboard holder and coffee gopher for Cousins for the next 3 years. The Falcons had the #8 pick and did absolutely nothing to help their team win games.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Way over drafted. We went chips in with Kirk. If that's the case you do all you can to win now with him. This does nothing to win now. We've been shat at pass rush for so long. Just a waste.
I do agree it’s odd with the addition of Cousins. It would make more sense if they were looking at Cousins as a 1 season player but that’s not the case given the money they’re shelling out. I just like the kid and no doubt he was one of the best players in college football. Whether that translates to the NFL not we shall see!

No doubt 8 is high but with the run on QBs I’m guessing they didn’t feel he would still be there by the next pick.
I don't think they would have had to trade back very far. I think you could have dropped even a couple spots and picked up a second or third and still been able to get a QB.

it just doesn't make sense with all the money they just spent on Cousins. Whatever they are going to be paying Penix is wasted money for 2 years. Dead money that could have been helping the team during the Cousins window.

Heck even another WR would have been a better pick that Penix at 8.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Cousins' agent Mike McCartney told ESPN's Pete Thamel that the Falcons only notified the quarterback that they would pick Penix while the team was on the clock. McCartney said there is frustration and confusion coming from Cousins' camp because Atlanta did not use its first-round pick to make the team better in 2024.

I don't think they would have had to trade back very far. I think you could have dropped even a couple spots and picked up a second or third and still been able to get a QB.

it just doesn't make sense with all the money they just spent on Cousins. Whatever they are going to be paying Penix is wasted money for 2 years. Dead money that could have been helping the team during the Cousins window.

Heck even another WR would have been a better pick that Penix at 8.
I feel you there. Trading back would certainly make sense. I do like the kid and think he’s a special player so that’s the only reason I like taking him. Where they took him and the weirdness with the massive Cousins deal is not great at all.

Ouch! That was funny though. They just need to look at past drafts for teams like Cleveland and the Jets. They have certainly had some rough ones. The Falcons have historically not been great either. I’ll give them credit for Matt Ryan though. I thought they reached on him and that turned out great.

VN Store

Back