The Hunting Thread

I am a hunter.

I am probably at least partially a yuppie.

I am adequately endowed.

I am confused.

Nah, you're fine. OV thought it might be fun to throw in a PETA propaganda piece that tied hunters and genital size together with the same logic one might apply by assuming all tall people are basketball players because basketball players tend to be tall. I found it hilarious since it could only be taken seriously by an idiot. (it is therefore my sincerest hope OV submitted it as a joke)

PETA has some fantastic displays of crazy. In addition to the fish as "sea kittens" thing I mention above they, for example, chastized the president for swatting a fly during a tv interview. (and no, I'm not kidding)

Haven't been out for deer since rifle season started, heading for Vermont for a few days next week to look for something big.

Archery Deer was a success, and small game has been fun, gotta love squirrel stew. Birds have been more looking for dogs than hunting, that kind of year.

Saw a doe and a small forked 4 point making a rub.

I saw a bobcat too but he saw me at the same time and he disappeared.

Had deer all around me before daylight.

Stayed in and watched the LSU - Bama game instead of hitting the woods this afternoon.

Going back in the morning.

Is it taboo to shoot does down there in bow season?

Not at all. You can legally kill three does a day depending on what part of Tennessee you're in during any season.

The rut usually starts around the second week of muzzle loader or first of rifle here.

It's hard for me to kill a doe in November simply because there's usually a buck trailing here.

Saw one doe this morning. Not much shooting, so the deer were not moving good this morning

Where are you hunting at? Middle, West or East TN?

I'm in middle TN and had does moving all morning. The only buck I saw chasing a doe was a little basket rack 5 or 6 pointer.

I had three does directly underneath my stand at one point.

I held off because I've got pics of 3 nice bucks that have been hanging around all summer. I was hoping one would come out after a doe but no luck.

I'll be back in the woods Thursday afternoon at the latest.

Where are you hunting at? Middle, West or East TN?

I'm in middle TN and had does moving all morning. The only buck I saw chasing a doe was a little basket rack 5 or 6 pointer.

I had three does directly underneath my stand at one point.

I held off because I've got pics of 3 nice bucks that have been hanging around all summer. I was hoping one would come out after a doe but no luck.

I'll be back in the woods Thursday afternoon at the latest.

West TN. Hardeman County

I heard all of 4 shots this morning. Havent seen a buck chasing a does yet, but I heard a small one grunting yesterday.

We are at the very beginning of the rut. They should be on about the 1st week of gun.

West TN. Hardeman County

I heard all of 4 shots this morning. Havent seen a buck chasing a does yet, but I heard a small one grunting yesterday.

We are at the very beginning of the rut. They should be on about the 1st week of gun.

I hunt an 85 acre spot in Houston County as well as a 100 acre spot in Robertson.

I've been wondering what they were doing out in West TN.

The rut hasn't hit full bore here yet in middle TN. You see some dumb young bucks chasing does but the big boys aren't out and about yet.

This guy only comes around during the early morning when it's raining.

I can't figure him out.

181.jpg

176.jpg

I hunt an 85 acre spot in Houston County as well as a 100 acre spot in Robertson.

I've been wondering what they were doing out in West TN.

The rut hasn't hit full bore here yet in middle TN. You see some dumb young bucks chasing does but the big boys aren't out and about yet.

I hunt 650 acres. We dont shot anything under 8 points and we've been doing that for 10 or 15 years. Most of the other guys around us do the same. There are some good ones roaming around.

The bad thing is, if you dont get them during the rut, they go nocturnal on you.

This guy only comes around during the early morning when it's raining.

I can't figure him out.

That is a nice one and he's still probably only a 3 year old deer.

Hes probably passing through on his way to his bedding area. Are there any fields or food plots close by?

I see more big deer on cloudy, slightly windy days, than I do on clear blue days.

One stand I hunt, like clock work, the deer wont move through there until around 8:30. After that, you may see them moving through up until lunch.

Last edited:
That is a nice one and he's still probably only a 3 year old deer.

Hes probably passing through on his way to his bedding area. Are there any fields or food plots close by?

I see more big deer on cloudy, slightly windy days, than I do on clear blue days.

One stand I hunt, like clock work, the deer wont move through there until around 8:30. After that, you may see them moving through up until lunch.

It's mostly all hardwood ridges.

One of the bottoms was planted in alfalfa last year. What's odd is that I never saw deer down there.

They stick to the sides of the ridges eating acorns and persimmons.

There's two ponds on the property that see a lot of traffic.

I've seen a lot of deer on bluebird sky days there. I've never seen this guy, either on trailcam pics or in person, unless it's rainy.

It's mostly all hardwood ridges.

One of the bottoms was planted in alfalfa last year. What's odd is that I never saw deer down there.

They stick to the sides of the ridges eating acorns and persimmons.

There's two ponds on the property that see a lot of traffic.

I've seen a lot of deer on bluebird sky days there. I've never seen this guy, either on trailcam pics or in person, unless it's rainy.

Maybe he will mess up and chase a doe through there and give you an opportunity.

I've seen a lot of bucks during the rut that I have never seen before on a regular basis.

Maybe he will mess up and chase a doe through there and give you an opportunity.

I've seen a lot of bucks during the rut that I have never seen before on a regular basis.

That's what I'm hoping for.

I'm going to be in the woods a lot starting this weekend and for the next two weeks.

VN Store

Back