The Halfway Point

Just a VOL fan who loves baseball. Losing series like this is disappointing, but I'm still going to Hoover! Nothing like the SEC Baseball Tournament. Surely Tennessee can be in the top 12 to qualify! :clapping:

You are the go to when it comes to Hoover! Where will you stay? Eat? Chill?

Reactions: 1 person
Final thought.

There has to be an upside.

I believe.

really can't say much that already hasn't been said. Good topic 66. Bottom line is we probably had 'just enough" talent to make a regional if everything went our way this season, unfortunately with injuries and inconsistent play it hasn't.

I'm still believing though......

My prediction for the second half is we are going to start hearing a lot about Cliff Godwin

Goodwin definitely will be talked about by numerous larger schools however I'm just not sure if he would leave ECU right now. He has a top 25 program which has great support from the University and community. ECU has a lot going for it right now and it may be a perfect job for a baseball coach.

I know common sense says money and ego, but the SEC can be a death wish for coaches that don't work who had reasonable success at their previous school.

Going to be an interesting off season, my gut tells me CDS gets 2-year extension with 1 year guaranteed....and for the record and noted previously, I'm a huge CDS fan and hope it works out long term for him at UT.

Two beers left...any takers?

Sorry I missed you 66, I was asleep by 10:05 last night.....had to get up early this morning. Not sure about you but I'm feeling pretty good right now. Nice little workout, few cups of coffee, knocked out some quick paperwork from the weekend and watched the sun come up and enjoyed all the blooming flowers. Life is good my friend......

Last edited:
Goodwin definitely will be talked about by numerous larger schools however I'm just not sure if he would leave ECU right now. He has a top 25 program which has great support from the University and community. ECU has a lot going for it right now and it may be a perfect job for a baseball coach.

I know common sense says money and ego, but the SEC can be a death wish for coaches that don't work who had reasonable success at their previous school.

Going to be an interesting off season, my gut tells me CDS gets 2-year extension with 1 year guaranteed....and for the record and noted previously, I'm a huge CDS fan and hope it works out long term for him at UT.

Good point on Godwin and a other thing is he is an alum at ecu and played on their CWS team.

As far as the contract how does one get a 2year extension but only 1 year Guarenteed?
Never heard of that

Good point on Godwin and a other thing is he is an alum at ecu and played on their CWS team.

As far as the contract how does one get a 2year extension but only 1 year Guarenteed?
Never heard of that

happens all the time in business and probably in sports but we just don't here about it. Sort of like an NFL player signing a 6 year deal knowing well that he won't be there but 4....

A contract is given for 2 years, however in the "fine print" kept "private" and agreed upon by all party's, the second year is not guaranteed and can be terminated without cause and no damages paid.

It'a a potential win win for both sides. CDS stays another year getting a chance to turn it round, his son probably stays, recruiting is enhanced as signees feel more comfortable and if things don't improve the University can cut ties without paying the 2nd year.

happens all the time in business and probably in sports but we just don't here about it. Sort of like an NFL player signing a 6 year deal knowing well that he won't be there but 4....

A contract is given for 2 years, however in the "fine print" kept "private" and agreed upon by all party's, the second year is not guaranteed and can be terminated without cause and no damages paid.

It'a a potential win win for both sides. CDS stays another year getting a chance to turn it round, his son probably stays, recruiting is enhanced as signees feel more comfortable and if things don't improve the University can cut ties without paying the 2nd year.

Thanks

Haven't heard of that with coaches. Just thought those were standard non Gaurenteed contracts for players

Last edited:
Thanks

Haven't heard of that with coaches. Just thought those were standard non Gaurenteed contracts

the one thing I've learned over the years about contracts is nothing is standard when you don't have negotiating power...:)

Surely Tennessee can be in the top 12 to qualify! :clapping:

Once, again, to get in the top 12, the Vols are gonna depend on a couple of teams having complete collapses coming down the stretch. In fact, the Vols' pitching depth is so thin, any scenarios getting them to Hoover may involve a bus wreck or two.

You are the go to when it comes to Hoover! Where will you stay? Eat? Chill?

Stay in Homewood, chill with LSU fans in the hospitality suite.
Eat at various places, but at least once for breakfast at the Salem Diner in Homewood; owned by Bammers, but food & service amazing! Mike Slive is a regular, & we talked about the SEC last year. Wife & son started going 12 years ago, & now that I am retired, it is my quest.:hi:

I'm not sure exactly which post Vol66 was referring to, but I did say something a while back to the effect that firing coaches is like selling stock: you should do it only if you have a chance of getting a better replacement.

I'm not sure that's the case right now. Who do you know who is better than Serrano that we could actually get?

(Since he has already been mentioned, Godwin may or may not be in the first category, but I don't think he's in the second.)

That's why I think Serrano may get an extension even if we end the season with another brief trip to Hoover.

I'm not sure exactly which post Vol66 was referring to, but I did say something a while back to the effect that firing coaches is like selling stock: you should do it only if you have a chance of getting a better replacement.

I'm not sure that's the case right now. Who do you know who is better than Serrano that we could actually get?

(Since he has already been mentioned, Godwin may or may not be in the first category, but I don't think he's in the second.)

That's why I think Serrano may get an extension even if we end the season with another brief trip to Hoover.

I may have confused you with someone else and as I said the post simply got me to thinking, which good posts should.

I am firmly in the "I don't know what we should do" camp.

I may have confused you with someone else and as I said the post simply got me to thinking, which good posts should.

I am firmly in the "I don't know what we should do" camp.

The only thing I can think of, Tennessee has really already done.

I was going to suggest that Tennessee plant a flag and squeeze everything they can out of Eastern Tennessee, Western Carolina, and North Georgia.

Looking up their roster, as I said, it looks like that's what they've been trying to do.

Chris Hall, Nick Senzel, Vincent Jackson, Kyle Serrano, Derek Lance are from that area. Other guys are too, I just don't know what role they currently have with the team or what role they will play in the future.

Cox and Rodgers are from West Tennessee.

The only general statement I would make is that there aren't enough Georgia kids on that roster. With the Georgia schools not being premier baseball powers right now, that has to be an area where Tennessee is able to tap into that talent pool.

If Serrano goes, I would suggest a coach with strong ties to baseball programs in the State of Georgia or somewhere where a pipeline(s) can be created.

The problem is talent, not coaching.

JMO

Do you ever get out to see the Bucs, Glacier Pilots versus the Miners in the ABL summer League?

I'll watch just about any baseball I can up here. I was thinking about being a host for the kids that come up, but I'd want it to be a UT player lol.

Last edited:
I really want(ed) CDS to succeed and I thought he would, but it hasn't been good to this point. I would like to see him get one more year (unless we can make a HR hire, which is unlikely).

The only thing I can think of, Tennessee has really already done.

I was going to suggest that Tennessee plant a flag and squeeze everything they can out of Eastern Tennessee, Western Carolina, and North Georgia.

Looking up their roster, as I said, it looks like that's what they've been trying to do.

Chris Hall, Nick Senzel, Vincent Jackson, Kyle Serrano, Derek Lance are from that area. Other guys are too, I just don't know what role they currently have with the team or what role they will play in the future.

Cox and Rodgers are from West Tennessee.

The only general statement I would make is that there aren't enough Georgia kids on that roster. With the Georgia schools not being premier baseball powers right now, that has to be an area where Tennessee is able to tap into that talent pool.

If Serrano goes, I would suggest a coach with strong ties to baseball programs in the State of Georgia or somewhere where a pipeline(s) can be created.

The problem is talent, not coaching.

JMO

Cox, Lance, Rodgers and Jackson are starters and seniors, so they are gone.

Senzel is the starter at 3B and of course some say he might be the #2 player taken in the draft, so as a junior, he will be gone.

Rodgers is having his most productive year, and of course Serrano probably would have been gone if hadn't gotten hurt, normally I'd expect them both back...but I don't think this is normal.

They got Daniel Neal, voted Mr. Kentucky baseball and the #1 SS in Kentucky, ranked second best player in Kentucky by Perfect Game...he's a freshman.

Last year we had Christin Stewart, he was from Georgia, current freshman Bryant Harris is from Georgia.

Obviously he has a pipeline in California as well.

They go everywhere...it's a head scratcher.

The pitching...I just can't articulate in an adequate way...how inconsistent the pitching has been for the last 5 years, yet he is universally, well respected as a pitching coach.

It...I just can't figure it out.

Last edited:
I'll watch just about any baseball I can up here. I was thinking about being a host for the kids that come up, but I'd want it to be a UT player lol.

I'm sure that could be worked out, all you have to do is contact the Bucs or the Pilots and tell them you would host some Tennessee players.

Might actually help us get some more up there.

Now that I've doled out a healthy dose of criticism I think the thing to do is dole out some positives...

We have a great relationship with USA Baseball and for CDS to be able to point that out to recruits can only be a positive and that is something that Coach brought with him and has developed and obviously has maintained.

The academic side of things is in the best shape it's been in a long time and he seems to get a lot of compliments on how the players behave. He also doesn't seem to put up with any BS in that department.

He's repaired a lot of relationships.

Last year's MLB draft and the upcoming one. He can/will be able to show examples of how a kid can come here and really improve his stock.

Probably the biggest compliment I can put forward for Coach is that he's made changes to his staff all along the way and I'm not sure we can quite grasp how painful that probably was and he basically dumped a philosophy that was part of the reason he had been successful. Hiring Slim and the turn around in hitting is quite obvious. There have been others that fly below the radar. Bringing Chip Dill aboard to help with pitching. Last year for the first 2/3rds or so Dill did the visits and CDS only brought the hook. For whatever reason, that changed and that's just one example.

Sure, maybe it took too long, but many coaches would have just gone down with the ship, many do...that may only prove one thing. He really wants to be here and he really is trying his level best to be successful.

I've heard Coach Glanville say something along the lines of, before you tell me what a player can't do, you have to tell me three good things about the player. That one stuck.

Reactions: 1 person
Yankee...You are in luck!

Will Neely, Bryant Harris, and Zach Reid are on the Bucs roster...Neither the Pilots or Miners have posted rosters yet...but, those guys are really important guys for the future.

VN Store

Back