The Grill and BBQ thread

Tried my hand at sausage making for the first time, ended up being a fairly frustrating 2 hours but I chalk it up to inexperience plus the low quality $10 pork butt I got at Walmart to practice on. Managed to get 4 sausages made plus leftover ground sausage we put on pizza tonight. Silver lining - the ground sausage tasted great, way better than store bought pre seasoned ground sausage.

Tried my hand at sausage making for the first time, ended up being a fairly frustrating 2 hours but I chalk it up to inexperience plus the low quality $10 pork butt I got at Walmart to practice on. Managed to get 4 sausages made plus leftover ground sausage we put on pizza tonight. Silver lining - the ground sausage tasted great, way better than store bought pre seasoned ground sausage.

Had two of the sausages for lunch today, big thumbs up from the wife and I’m usually a harsh self critic, but I thought it was pretty great as well.

Might have to do an easy pork butt on the smoker next to erase the memory of trying to stuff crappy Walmart meat through a grinder

Got any good tips on seasoning and cleaning it?
I use grape seed oil to season mine. Start the burner on medium heat. Once you can feel the heat on the griddle turn all burns on high. Let it get hot, I mean really hot. It will start to turn colors. Pour a thin stream of oil around the surface of the griddle. Fold a paper towel into about a three-inch square. Pinch this between a set of tongs and spread the oil evenly over the griddle. I do the entire griddle, even the outside. Let this burn until it stops smoking. Then repeat 2 more times. Turn the heat off and allow to cool. Then pour a small amount of oil on the griddle surface and wipe it down. You are now ready to cook. As far as cleaning, I always clean mine after every cook. Remove the food. Turn the heat off. Take a scraper and gently scrap any loose particles off. Take a small cup of water and pour it on the griddle. It will steam up. The steam will remove the stuck-on food. Gently scrape this off. Then wipe dry. Make sure all water is wiped off. Apply a small amount of oil on the griddle and wipe it down with a rag or paper towel. Make sure you cover the entire surface. Doing this will preserve all the hard work you did seasoning it and it will be ready for your next cook. I hope this helps. I use mine several times a week. You can cook a huge breakfast and look like a chef at the Waffle House. Enjoy.

There’s this place here in Nashville that is strictly Cosco consignment deals. Went a couple weeks ago and got a Weston 9” meat slicer for $40. It usually retails just over $100. Weather has been too bad this weekend plus I didn’t have the time to give it a proper trial run and smoke my own meat to slice so I went and bought a pre-cooked Turkey breast to test slice. Works really well. Can’t wait to smoke my own to slice next time. Also, time to cure some pork belly and try my hand at making my own bacon.

1707691870683.jpeg

1707691900130.jpeg

I have a friend ready to sell a Large BGE with wooden wheeled cart and many accessories. I am going to go fix one section of wood and replace the caster this weekend.

I think the table needs to be refinished, but that's an easy job.

I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

BIL works for Clorox in logistics. They make kingsford. He sent my wife this today

From my brother:

FYI there was a big fire at a manufacture that produces kingsford, treager and other wood pellets. It will impact availability of wood pellets for months. Better tell x to stock up now

Reactions: KptVFL
BIL works for Clorox in logistics. They make kingsford. He sent my wife this today

From my brother:

FYI there was a big fire at a manufacture that produces kingsford, treager and other wood pellets. It will impact availability of wood pellets for months. Better tell x to stock up now
I bet that fire smelled fantastic

From my brother:

Good thing I don't use pellets. Or Kingsford for that matter.

Bought an Oklahoma Joes pellet smoker a year and a half ago. Apparently there no such thing as a user manual on it. Start back in August and began to have trouble. Could not finish a cook without an error code messing things up. Quality control must be a problem because every time I call about the most recent problem, they want me to inspect the wiring. It has become completely unreliable. Friday, I was able to finish one butt, but second was almost disastrous.

Tired of the Lowe’s/Home Depot quality grills. Going to outdoor furniture and cooking shop down in Chattanooga. Other recommendations?

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Bought an Oklahoma Joes pellet smoker a year and a half ago. Apparently there no such thing as a user manual on it. Start back in August and began to have trouble. Could not finish a cook without an error code messing things up. Quality control must be a problem because every time I call about the most recent problem, they want me to inspect the wiring. It has become completely unreliable. Friday, I was able to finish one butt, but second was almost disastrous.

Tired of the Lowe’s/Home Depot quality grills. Going to outdoor furniture and cooking shop down in Chattanooga. Other recommendations?
I have had a pittboss from Lowes that I use at least twice a week. Have had it for 4 years and have only had to change out an auger motor because I didnt make a habit of cleaning out the bowl regularly. I hightly recommend the pittboss.

I have had a pittboss from Lowes that I use at least twice a week. Have had it for 4 years and have only had to change out an auger motor because I didnt make a habit of cleaning out the bowl regularly. I hightly recommend the pittboss.
Got mine from Lowes. I want one where a local dealer services it and I am willing to pay.

Very happy with my Camp Chef pellet smoker. Found a good deal on it from Amazon. Zero trouble with it so far. Knock on wood.

Have had it almost a year.

I've stayed away from pellet smokers becasue I felt like they had to many moving parts to break. Hard to beat a classic charcoal grill/smoker or a kamado. There just isn't much to go wrong.

I've stayed away from pellet smokers becasue I felt like they had to many moving parts to break. Hard to beat a classic charcoal grill/smoker or a kamado. There just isn't much to go wrong.
I have both. I use the pellet smoker for convenience and speed. I use my BGE when I want something to be really good and I have time to wait. Just got a Traeger griddle that I am starting to like.

Reactions: jp1 and JCHateSteve
I have both. I use the pellet smoker for convenience and speed. I use my BGE when I want something to be really good and I have time to wait. Just got a Traeger griddle that I am starting to like.
I use a Pit Barrel Cooker when I don't want to babysit the smoker. I use the Weber Kettle when I want to be extra. I have so many attachments for that thing.

VN Store

Back