The Golf Thread

Just Demo'd the Nike SUMO2, Square head..

It sounds horrible..and I couldn't get use to the look and feel..

It sounds horrible..and I couldn't get use to the look and feel..

i agree with you on the sound. Hit in a simulator one time. Sounded awful, looks awful, felt awful. While I can't imagine ever buying one, the Callaway FTI sounds and feels a lot better. Still can't get used to looking at it though.

Their having Calloway Demo days in July at teh course I play, I'll hit one then.

I was told they don't sound anything like the Nike..

I got a new driver over the winter. After hitting about 10 of the new issues on a monitor, I discovered that the one I hit best was last year's Cleveland Launcher. Thanks to the introduction of the Hi-Bore, the thing had a sticker on it of $129.

It is a significant upgrade over my 7 year old GBB II, and I expected to have to shell out 2 or 3 more bills to get new technology. The moral, I guess, is not to overlook last year's technology for a flashy new '07 paint job.

I think that is excellent advice. I'm still using a 4 year old driver made from a component head and a ProForce shaft. I paid all of $75 for it.

What I need is for somebody to recommend a putter. I 3 putted 4 times on Saturday. It was awful. What's even worse is I hit the ball great. :angry:

What I need is for somebody to recommend a putter. I 3 putted 4 times on Saturday. It was awful. What's even worse is I hit the ball great. :angry:

I am not the person to ask about putting. Shot 85 and 86 respectively this weekend with at least three of those nasty three puts each round. It was atrocious. I am still pondering a return to my oak shafted blade putter.

do you prefer a traditional blade putter or a mallet/alignment putter? I use an old school Ping Anser4 way before the idea of inserts came into play and i love it. It has great feel and touch for me. Now if you put an alignment putter in my hands you get two possibilities: 4 feet short of the hole, or 22 feet past it.

I got a new driver over the winter. After hitting about 10 of the new issues on a monitor, I discovered that the one I hit best was last year's Cleveland Launcher. Thanks to the introduction of the Hi-Bore, the thing had a sticker on it of $129.

It is a significant upgrade over my 7 year old GBB II, and I expected to have to shell out 2 or 3 more bills to get new technology. The moral, I guess, is not to overlook last year's technology for a flashy new '07 paint job.

The Launcher is a heck of a driver. is it the 460 model? I almost bought that thing until a friend offered up his 905T for 150 for me. he upgraded to the new Titleist D2 and I couldn't say no. Makes my third or fourth Titleist driver. One day I figure I'll splurge and buy myself my first ever brand new driver. until then i'll keep playing cheaper used models.

I am not the person to ask about putting. Shot 85 and 86 respectively this weekend with at least three of those nasty three puts each round. It was atrocious. I am still pondering a return to my oak shafted blade putter.

What is crazy is that it's not like I have zero touch. I have what I would consider to be an above average short game as far as pitching, chipping, sand play . . . but I have no clue with the putter right now.

do you prefer a traditional blade putter or a mallet/alignment putter? I use an old school Ping Anser4 way before the idea of inserts came into play and i love it. It has great feel and touch for me. Now if you put an alignment putter in my hands you get two possibilities. 4 feet short of the hole, or 22 feet past it.

That sounds just like me. I putted forever with a Ping Anser and then with a Ping Pal 2. I switched to a Callaway 2 ball about a year ago and I can't find any consistency on fast greens. I'm OK on slower bermuda, but on bent I have no clue.

I switched from the Ping B-60 to the Taylor Made Rossa Corsa. Not sure if the switch was necessary. The Rossa has more weight and is better for long lag putts but I was a bit more consistent from 4' and in with the Ping.

My driver is the Taylor Made R540 (none adjustable screw). Paid $90 used and it is the best (most consistent) club I've ever bought.

Fairway woods are Callaway Big Bertha - I use a 5 and 9. My driver goes about 220 - 250, the 5 goes about 190-210 and the 9 goes about 175-180. I can hit my driver more consistently than any 3 wood I had so I just dumped it. The irons go 4-10 instead of 3-9, so the 9 fills in as my 3 iron.

Irons are Callaway Big Berthas - feel heavy at times but very forgiving on some really bad hits - I've heard they are hard to work but my game isn't at that level.

Wedges - Cleveland 53 and 57 SW.

That sounds just like me. I putted forever with a Ping Anser and then with a Ping Pal 2. I switched to a Callaway 2 ball about a year ago and I can't find any consistency on fast greens. I'm OK on slower bermuda, but on bent I have no clue.

If you are looking for a new putter, I've found and even heard from course and pro shop PGA pros that the best bet is to just try different models out until you find one you are comfortable with. Odyssey has some nice models out right now ranging anywhere from 90 to 200+ all depending on what you want to spend. I actually used to toy around with a Cobra putter when I worked in the golf dept at a Dick's Sporting Goods and it felt great.

(or you could always go visit scotty cameron)

What I need is for somebody to recommend a putter.

Best advice I can give is to find somebody who knows what they are doing and get fit for a putter. Whatever type of putter you prefer will work, but getting it fit makes all of the difference. My putting improved dramatically with an inch longer shaft and 1 degree upright. The big golf chain stores usually do a competent job and usually do it for free if you buy your stick from them.

The Launcher is a heck of a driver. is it the 460 model?

Yes, it is. I haven't actually tested it under game conditions yet, only on the range and on the monitor, but as I said, it worked for me better than the newer offers.

Hit the range yesterday and hadn't hit worse in my life. Oh well, need one bad day.

First round of the year is Sunday. I have really poor inherited clubs. My driver is a 3rd generation Big Bertha with 9 degrees of loft.

My irons are Dunlops, 3rd generation as well.

Should I go to a Ping demo day later in May to get my specs?

It's always good to know your specs . . . but at this point, I'd probably borrow a decent set of clubs and invest in a few lessons before I went out and spent a lot of money. Then after a couple of lessons, let the pro help you pick out some clubs.

Has there ever been a putter in the history of the world that didn't roll it well on one of those in store putting surfaces?

Those first five minutes when you are playing with them no. but when business was slow, which was most nights, we'd have putting contests, and I always seemed to have the best luck with the Cobra. That was a great job. Testing out new clubs as they came out was always fun. Plus, you could set up the simulator and play a round at Pebble Beach, Harbour Town, or any number of premier courses. It was rough work, let me tell ya.

I have an old persimon (sp) five wood, and a wooden putter that I pull out every now and then. My 5 wood has earned the nickname "Honus Wagner" among my golfing bretheren.

Those look like blades. I wouldn't go that route for my first set. You could get a better deal at a yard sale.

VN Store

Back