The Game Plan - 8 in the Box?

Worley is the best back in the nation he will get his 150 to 175, just don't let nobody else beat you.

Put 8 in the box and try to slow down their run game. We need the O to put up some quick points and force them to throw the ball more. Basically we need to minimize the impact of their running backs in any way possible. Our WR core vs their secondary favors us if we can just give Worley a little time to throw. If we can just jump out to a lead and get them passing more we can pull the safety out of run coverage and try to cause some turnovers.

Everyone keeps talking about how our defense is going to stop Gurley, but I think it really boils down to whether or not our offense can eat up the clock with long drives and keep Gurley on the sidelines for as long as possible.

The best defense is a good offense, but we must establish the run to win the TOP battle.

Reactions: 1 person
Worley is the best back in the nation he will get his 150 to 175, just don't let nobody else beat you.

Rex-WTF.gif

Reactions: 2 people
If UT plays 8 in the box, Bobo will do one of two things.
Go to 3 wides and run Gurley inside.
Go deep off play action.

I believe Gurley and Michel are each averaging over 7 ypc. They're going to get their yards. Our best hope is to contain/limit the big plays.

The best bet is to force Mason to beat you with his arm. Stack the box and leave the corners on an island until UGA shows they can beat us with their passing game.

AJ needs to have his best game,and hopefully the Defensive line can hold there own against the Dawgs,of course the D has shown major improvement this year

the Offensive line will determine if the Vols will win or not,they have to give Worley some time,to be able to go thru his reads,and have some semblance of a running game

I hope they don't do a lot of the hurry up Offense,the Defense will be gassed in the 3rd quarter,if there are a lot of 3 and outs in less than a minute,they just don't have the depth for that

and a major improvement happens on special teams,Darr needs to have a good game and somebody needs to be able to return a punt,just fair catching everything isn't going to cut it,what is it ? they have only returned 2 punts so far this year ?

Doesn't matter. Mason will have his breakout game. Its the UT way.

Sarcasm (or is it)

That is exactly what we have been accustomed to past few yrs. Hopefully with the improvement on defense that changes this wkend

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't our base defense usually a 4-2 nickel package with Justin Coleman on the field in place of a third linebacker? We may switch to a base 4-3 for this Georgia game with Weatherd or Bates starting in place of Coleman, but I doubt we'll need to crowd 8 men in the box to keep Georgia's run game under control.

heavy pressure in the box and bring the heat on Mason on 3rd down. Make Mason win the game for them. On offense use a lot of two TE sets to protect worley and establish a ground game. Hit them with medium to deep crossing patterns in the middle of the field because they will be open all day. Wolf needs 6-7 balls this game because he can def be a game breaker for us. No mistakes on STs!

Gurley could really give his Heisman campaign a boost if he single handily beats UT. I hope not, but he's pretty dang good.

Establishing an early run game is crucial IMO. And is it just me or do our screen plays end up with a loss of yards or only a 1 or 2 yd gain 9 times out of 10? Let's get the ball up the field. GoVols!!!

We have to load up the box with deep penetration.

They have a very good offensive line and infinite 5* running backs. We have what has been a pretty impressive defense. We just need to contain them and keep them somewhere around the 20s in total points to give our offense a chance, because our o-line is in for another beating.

Turnovers will be so key in this game for us IMO. We HAVE to have some and pickup good field position with them.

Hu hu, you said load up the box with deep penetration, hu hu.

I'm a mother lover, you're a mother lover.......................

Every mother's day, needs a mother's night.
If doing this is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

That being said, here is to hoping that I look a bit like this because of UT's performance on Saturday.

90330f59_justin-timberlake-jizz-in-my-pants-12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The easy way is to make Gurley earn every yard he gets and to do that he doesn't need big runs by loading the box with 8 and breaking contain. Make him pay by hitting him every chance you get and have the safety running 10 yards to hit him. Make him have to block. I'd expect him to get 100-150 yards as long as they are between the 20s I'm fine with that. I want him to have 20-25 carries to earn that 100-150 yards not 10-15.
Offensively we need to run the ball and punish their LB, safeties and CB every chance we get so we can open the passing game for bigger plays. Malone and TEs (Wolf and Helm) need to have big games too.

Doesn't matter. Mason will have his breakout game. Its the UT way.

Sarcasm (or is it)

Unfortunately history does show that, especially against UF and teams with average QB's. Hopefully that trend ends the next 2 weeks.

You may be correct. Didn't we make Driscol look like a heis(t)man candidate in the 2012 FL game?

And Tyler Murphy last yr and Brantley back to back yrs before that. Not to mention various other QB's. Im sure USA's QB last yr, Troy's the yr before, UK's WR turned QB 2 yrs ago and the list goes on. Time to end that trend!

Bring the house on every play (complete havoc), man to man coverage, fill every hole and challenge their QB to beat them with his arm. Snuffs any running plays and shortens the QB decision time hopefully causing turnovers. If they beat you over the top so be it.

VN Store

Back