The four-game stretch ahead

The road games will be tough to win. This was really bad scheduling not to break these games up someway but we'll be a better team when they are over whether we win or lose.

The road games will be tough to win. This was really bad scheduling not to break these games up someway but we'll be a better team when they are over whether we win or lose.

THEY JUST HAVE TO LOOK AT IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO SEE IF THEY ARE AS GOOD AS WE/THEY THINK THEY ARE. 2-2 IS THE MENDOZA LINE, 3-1 IS GOOD AND 4-0 IS PROOF WE GOT SOMETHING VERY SPECIAL FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS. (Sorry Caps on...not rewriting)

Reactions: 2 people
I have no idea how anyone could schedule 4 tough games close to each other.

Tennessee controls their OOC scheduling. The SEC office controls the SEC portion of the schedule. Tennessee has no input on how the games are done. They just have to provide the OOC schedule in case there are any OOC games during conference season i.e. Notre Dame.

In other years, we have played Georgia and Kentucky, along with Vanderbilt, twice in the season so a four game stretch like this wouldn't have been likely.

This year, we have TAMU, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt twice. That threw a big wrench into the layout of the schedule.

A really good test on whether this team and this coaching staff is better this year than last, for me, will be whether or nit the players start looking lost and confused (like they often used to) when facing tough defenses.

If on posession after possesion they are standing around until the final seconds of the shot clock, only for the last person with the ball to throw up an awkward desperation shot, then that will be too painfully familiar to me as a fan and will shake my confidence going forward.

I'm gonna need to see some offense design and obvious results of teaching when facing the better teams to convince me that this team has been taught well and are not just playing well because they are superior athletes.

Hope this team passes my eye test. I'm crossing my fingers that I never see, either from the players or from Holly, those glazed-over looks of desperation and "What in the world can we DO?!" during this stretch.

Seen enough of those to last a lifetime.

I'd also like to add that this team will need to have learned how to defend the three-pt perimeter if they ever want to sniff the Final Four again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
A really good test on whether this team and this coaching staff is better this year than last, for me, will be whether or nit the players start looking lost and confused (like they often used to) when facing tough defenses.

If on posession after possesion they are standing around until the final seconds of the shot clock, only for the last person with the ball to throw up an awkward desperation shot, then that will be too painfully familiar to me as a fan and will shake my confidence going forward.

I'm gonna need to see some offense design and obvious results of teaching when facing the better teams to convince me that this team has been taught well and are not just playing well because they are superior athletes.

Hope this team passes my eye test. I'm crossing my fingers that I never see, either from the players or from Holly, those glazed-over looks of desperation and "What in the world can we DO?!" during this stretch.

Seen enough of those to last a lifetime.

I'd also like to add that this team will need to have learned how to defend the three-pt perimeter if they ever want to sniff the Final Four again.

Looking lost and confused is a common phenomenon...I have seen ND and the Connies do this at times...It is how long the funk lasts and if it affects the play effort on the court that you have problems.

You are living in last year's team's glow...It's over, this is a new storm!

People keep comparing this to a tournament run, but I don't see how. If they are expecting a 1 or 2 seed for the NCAAs the first 2 games are gonna be cakewalks. Rarely if ever has there been a team with the talent that Tennessee has that didn't beat a 15 or 16 seed by 30+. I'm pretty sure the average MOV of a team that was seeded 1 or 2 for the 1st 2 rounds is well over 20 ppg.

Even if you were comparing it to the SEC tournament I don't think it equates. Even as a 5 seed Tennessee got Alabama as their 1st game last year. This 4 game stretch in my opinion is actually harder than either of those tournaments. If they make it through unscathed and with growth then they should feel great about it. Don't just survive and move on to the next game. Learn something that you can use later in the year. That has to be the goal. Just because you are winning doesn't mean you have learned anything. Are your stats/analytics improving?

People keep comparing this to a tournament run, but I don't see how. If they are expecting a 1 or 2 seed for the NCAAs the first 2 games are gonna be cakewalks. Rarely if ever has there been a team with the talent that Tennessee has that didn't beat a 15 or 16 seed by 30+. I'm pretty sure the average MOV of a team that was seeded 1 or 2 for the 1st 2 rounds is well over 20 ppg.

It's roughly the equivalent of Games 3 through 6 of a championship run in the Tournament.

I think most here are confident that the Lady Vols will win their first two games in the NCAA Tourney. This four-run stretch that begins tomorrow night is a good practice run for the higher rounds of the same Tourney.

I'd love to know what armchair thinks of this team. They always had a good perspective (people were unfairly critical towards them).

Count me in. I was wondering the same thing, too.

I'd like his opinion on how the team is doing thus far.

He tells it like it is. No sugar coating. He is definitely not a Holly sycophant, that's for sure. Those fans can be sooo annoying sometimes. They come at you like a gang of squirrels if you even mention Holly's name. :p

Where you at armchair?

Last edited:
We have the wise old owl Mercedes Russell she can play at least even with any 5 in the country. Jaime Nared can play with any 3 or 4 in the country. Cheridene Green is as good as any 6 lady in the country. I'll take Rennia Davis with anyone 3 . Now to the guards, Anastasia Hayes, Evina Westbrook and Meme Jackson are as good as any set of guards in the country. We have some more on the bench that can help if needed. These young lady's have more will to win as any team in the country, and don't want to lose either. I see no reason why we won't win the next four games.

:good!:

GOLadyVols!

It's roughly the equivalent of Games 3 through 6 of a championship run in the Tournament.

I think most here are confident that the Lady Vols will win their first two games in the NCAA Tourney. This four-run stretch that begins tomorrow night is a good practice run for the higher rounds of the same Tourney.

You mean in level of competition? I could possibly see that, although I think this 4 game stretch would actually be stiffer competition than you would even see there as a 1 or 2 seed, especially 4 games in a row. The games are closer together than they would be and you certainly wouldn't be playing anyone at their place. This is a really really really good test.

Albeit there isn't the pressure of win or go home but still. I think it's great for them. This schedule I think worked our brilliantly. The game tape will be so valuable because some of the things they haven't been doing well if they don't do it one of those 4 nights could actually cost them the game. Unlike in the games that they ended up pulling out like Marquette or Auburn.

I can't really imagine they lose all 4 but even if they did they still have guaranteed revenge games with TAMU and SCar & a possibility to see State in the SEC tourney. This seems like a win/win/win scenario. If they will all 4 then just don't get complacent the rest of the season and I can't see how you don't get a 1 seed.

I can't really imagine they lose all 4 but even if they did they still have guaranteed revenge games with TAMU and SCar & a possibility to see State in the SEC tourney. This seems like a win/win/win scenario. If they will all 4 then just don't get complacent the rest of the season and I can't see how you don't get a 1 seed.

Agreed.

From every angle, this brutal stretch is likely to help the Lady Vols, one way or another. I like it!

Most schedules are made years in advance. Like for instance we may schedule 2 games here to games away one game here one game away for a six-game run with a certain College. At the time we're scheduling there are only as good as they were at that moment.

Thanks for explaining.

Thanks for explaining.

Things do have a way of working out though...We are feeling our oats right now. Coach Jumper included. I think we're ready to see just what we can do.

The perfect storm meets the perfect counter-storm.

Things do have a way of working out though...We are feeling our oats right now. Coach Jumper included. I think we're ready to see just what we can do.

The perfect storm meets the perfect counter-storm.

Yes, and I can't wait to see how all this shakes out. I'm excited!

If this team can keep their focus and avoid pressing that gawd-forsaken PANIC button that was the bugaboo of recent teams' past, then, well... it could be a reeeeaaaaaalllly good season. :)

With 3 out of the 4 are away games ,I am hopeful of a split of the 4 games.Perfectly capable of 4-0 or 0-4 .....ball bounces and refs can be a deciding factor.

I know I’m excited to see how our girls do on this monstorous stretch of games but I do want us to be cognizant of the things we say about them if we do happen to not do as well as we hope during this stretch!

We’ve been a pretty positive board for most part of the season and let’s continue to be that way. It’s going to be tough but here’s to coming out 4-0.....19-0!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
This is where the rubber meets the road. Bring it on! One thing I know about this team - I don’t have to worry which team is going to show up and if they do have some losses during this stretch, it won’t be because they didn’t fight like hell to win. Let’s ride! 😤

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Count me in. I was wondering the same thing, too.

I'd like his opinion on how the team is doing thus far.

He tells it like it is. No sugar coating. He is definitely not a Holly sycophant, that's for sure. Those fans can be sooo annoying sometimes. They come at you like a gang of squirrels if you even mention Holly's name. :p

Where you at armchair?

Don't want.

Reactions: 3 people
We could easily go anywhere from 4-0 to 0-4 depending on how we have played during some stretches. If they show the poise they had against Texas or the 4 turnover performance they had against Alabama State, then I lean towards 4-0. If they show the carelessness they had against Auburn with 28 turnovers or playing down to the competition for most of the Vandy game, they could end up 0-4.

My gut tells me they will mostly rise to the occasion @ 3-1 with the lone loss to Notre Dame. I like the Mississippi State game is at home. I like that we are ranked better than both TAM and South Carolina plus I think both Mississippi State and South Carolina rely too much on one player (Vivians and Wilson respectively) and aren't as well rounded of a team as the Lady Vols. With Notre Dame, though, it's going to be tough to go on the road against a team ranked better and coached better that mostly plays as a team - no room for mistakes in that game.

At any rate, for better or worse it's a good opportunity. After this 4 game stretch, things get a little easier with the last 10 games only featuring 3 ranked teams and all 3 of those are currently ranked worse than the Lady Vols and they will have already played 2 of the 3 and know what to expect the second time around.

The only game I’m concerned about after these four is Missouri. If the refs let them hold and elbow its going to be hard to overcome. I also think MeMe and Evina are likely to strike back if Missouri tries to go after them. Don’t want to see any of our players T’ed up. If we play up to our potential no reason we can’t go undefeated, but my gut tells me we end up with 3 losses in the regular season. 2 out of the next four and one random let down game. Possibly LSU or Missouri.

We could easily go anywhere from 4-0 to 0-4 depending on how we have played during some stretches. If they show the poise they had against Texas or the 4 turnover performance they had against Alabama State, then I lean towards 4-0. If they show the carelessness they had against Auburn with 28 turnovers or playing down to the competition for most of the Vandy game, they could end up 0-4.

My gut tells me they will mostly rise to the occasion @ 3-1 with the lone loss to Notre Dame. I like the Mississippi State game is at home. I like that we are ranked better than both TAM and South Carolina plus I think both Mississippi State and South Carolina rely too much on one player (Vivians and Wilson respectively) and aren't as well rounded of a team as the Lady Vols. With Notre Dame, though, it's going to be tough to go on the road against a team ranked better and coached better that mostly plays as a team - no room for mistakes in that game.

At any rate, for better or worse it's a good opportunity. After this 4 game stretch, things get a little easier with the last 10 games only featuring 3 ranked teams and all 3 of those are currently ranked worse than the Lady Vols and they will have already played 2 of the 3 and know what to expect the second time around.

I see the difficulty of games, from easiest to hardest, in this order: TAMU, Notre Dame, SC, and MSST.

I don’t think TAMU has the poise or shooting accuracy to beat us.

Notre Dame will be at home but we beat them last year at TBA (Nared’s game-winning jumper). ND lacks depth and is down to 7 scholarship players and a handful of walk-ons. Their defense isn’t as good as previous years and they’ve already shown they’re suspectible to fatigue. As long as we can stay close into the fourth quarter, we’ll be fine. However, we’ll have to prove we learned something from the Vandy game and close out on 3-point shooters.

SC is the defending champ, we play on the road, and Wilson does it all. We beat them there last year but I could see this game being another battle. Hopefully, our guards hold on to the ball and we get Wilson in foul trouble a la Mizzou. It could be a long night.

I view undefeated MSST as the most complete team that we will face in the regular season. They have senior point guard play, a scorer who’s shooting at the beat clip of her career, a post who can score and rebound, and they’re the reigning national runner-up. This should be a Final Four-caliber game and win or lose, it will be the best measuring stick for our team.

If the tourney started today, MSST is the only team of the 4 that I would pick to reach the Final Four.

I see the difficulty of games, from easiest to hardest, in this order: TAMU, Notre Dame, SC, and MSST.

I don’t think TAMU has the poise or shooting accuracy to beat us.

Notre Dame will be at home but we beat them last year at TBA (Nared’s game-winning jumper). ND lacks depth and is down to 7 scholarship players and a handful of walk-ons. Their defense isn’t as good as previous years and they’ve already shown they’re suspectible to fatigue. As long as we can stay close into the fourth quarter, we’ll be fine. However, we’ll have to prove we learned something from the Vandy game and close out on 3-point shooters.

SC is the defending champ, we play on the road, and Wilson does it all. We beat them there last year but I could see this game being another battle. Hopefully, our guards hold on to the ball and we get Wilson in foul trouble a la Mizzou. It could be a long night.

I view undefeated MSST as the most complete team that we will face in the regular season. They have senior point guard play, a scorer who’s shooting at the beat clip of her career, a post who can score and rebound, and they’re the reigning national runner-up. This should be a Final Four-caliber game and win or lose, it will be the best measuring stick for our team.

If the tourney started today, MSST is the only team of the 4 that I would pick to reach the Final Four.

To be good in defending the 3 pointer, we need to shoot
more 3 pointer in practice. We do have many capable shooters!

The only game I’m concerned about after these four is Missouri. If the refs let them hold and elbow its going to be hard to overcome. I also think MeMe and Evina are likely to strike back if Missouri tries to go after them. Don’t want to see any of our players T’ed up. If we play up to our potential no reason we can’t go undefeated, but my gut tells me we end up with 3 losses in the regular season. 2 out of the next four and one random let down game. Possibly LSU or Missouri.

I’m feeling the same about the Mizzou game for the same reasons you stated. If they get away with the same things they did in the SC I may have a stroke. Lord give me strength! Ugh!

VN Store

Back