The Final Fantasy Thread

Just fired this up. The opening scene while have you hooked from the beginning. Really excited to dive into this.

I don’t get the clamoring for a decades long outdated combat system. Yakuza pivoting to turn based combat absolutely ruined the game, and I thought it was the best narrative driven game series in existence. Still do, but I can’t stand that turn based ****. It’s not 1995 anymore. There are better options.

Reactions: Pennheel
I don’t get the clamoring for a decades long outdated combat system. Yakuza pivoting to turn based combat absolutely ruined the game, and I thought it was the best narrative driven game series in existence. Still do, but I can’t stand that turn based ****. It’s not 1995 anymore. There are better options.

Yeah, I didn't finish Like a Dragon because the turn based gameplay was too much of a chore. Like you said, otherwise it was a great story. Hopefully,they continue with Lost Judgement and keep the fun gameplay style. It's simply a case of "if it ain't broke,don't fix it"....

Maybe I'll look into this Final Fantasy though. I haven't played it since 10 or 11.

Reactions: Christian Lowe

Turn based took a level of strategy that is lost in today's games. I don't know anything about Yakuza, but FF was the master of turn-based.

Hacking away by pushing the square button is something that is done in 90% of games, but there was always so much pressure in the decision making of turn-based combat. Decide wrong and it's game over, decide right and you can completely turn the tide of a losing battle.

Turn-based combat is still today one of the best methods of battle systems in gaming.

Turn based took a level of strategy that is lost in today's games. I don't know anything about Yakuza, but FF was the master of turn-based.

Hacking away by pushing the square button is something that is done in 90% of games, but there was always so much pressure in the decision making of turn-based combat. Decide wrong and it's game over, decide right and you can completely turn the tide of a losing battle.

Turn-based combat is still today one of the best methods of battle systems in gaming.
I can tolerate it in persona, but that’s about it.

I really don't miss it honestly. The turn-based mechanic was the product of a bygone era when the limitations of the hardware made it kind of a necessity. I get that some people are nostalgic for that kind of mechanic but once real time combat was introduced in RPG's, I embraced it and never looked back. For me, longing for turn based combat is kind of like longing for the return of text-based dialogue instead of voice acting. There's a certain old school charm to it but I actually like the more modernized sensibilities in RPG's.

This may be a question that I will regret, but for those who have several hours under their belt with this one... it is going to get harder right?

I've fought 3 "boss fights" now, and I'm not sure I even took any damage during them.

I think this game messed up a bit by giving you the Ring of Timely Strikes, if anything that should have been a late game perk.

It's the ring that lets you unleash combos and power attacks by just mashing the attack button over and over. I haven't even bothered to actually learn how to do combos, this ring does them for me.

I know I can just unequip it, but seems silly not to use something that's that overpowered that's in my arsenal. This thing even switches Eikon attacks for you based on what's next available.

Way OP. They shouldn't have put this in the game, or at least made me go through absolute hell to get it. It basically puts the game on Very Easy Mode for you.

Reactions: Rishvol
I think this game messed up a bit by giving you the Ring of Timely Strikes, if anything that should have been a late game perk.

It's the ring that lets you unleash combos and power attacks by just mashing the attack button over and over. I haven't even bothered to actually learn how to do combos, this ring does them for me.

I know I can just unequip it, but seems silly not to use something that's that overpowered that's in my arsenal. This thing even switches Eikon attacks for you based on what's next available.

Way OP. They shouldn't have put this in the game, or at least made me go through absolute hell to get it. It basically puts the game on Very Easy Mode for you.
that's how i feel about the auto dodge rings

Ok, I bit the bullet and removed the ring, I fought Garuda without it.

Much much much more enjoyable combat system this way.

Do yourself a huge favor, just don't equip the Ring of Timely Strikes. It turns the game into a super easy mindless button masher.

Ok, I bit the bullet and removed the ring, I fought Garuda without it.

Much much much more enjoyable combat system this way.

Do yourself a huge favor, just don't equip the Ring of Timely Strikes. It turns the game into a super easy mindless button masher.
Agree. I wish I could play without the slow down evade ring. I started with it and now I’m crippled without it. Can’t believe I beat every souls game but can’t dodge in final fantasy without a handicap

My favorite FF entry in a decade or more

Finished it today and one of my favorite games in the last few years (single player)

I really wish I loved it as much as y'all. Hate to keep crapping on it, but I dunno, it's ok. It's really easy, and really linear. Maybe I'm still not to the meat and potatoes of the gameplay yet.

I really wish I loved it as much as y'all. Hate to keep crapping on it, but I dunno, it's ok. It's really easy, and really linear. Maybe I'm still not to the meat and potatoes of the gameplay yet.
The story is what I played it for. I really liked it. Obvious GOT inspiration, but made it their own

Different strokes for different folks :)

I think it looks/sounds better than XVI, at least in terms of graphics, setting, and gameplay.

VN Store

Back