The Endzone Garden Thread

@VolNExile, when we moved to our present home in 2010, we inherited hundreds of bulb plants. They’ve multiplied. Despite selling and giving away hundreds, I estimate that we have a thousand yellow daffodils, hundreds of paper white narcissus, and hundreds of lilies. Though I dug up a ~600’ squared Iris bed, transplanted a few, and gave hundreds away, there are about a hundred+ left in four more modest patches. If/when we move, it’s likely I’ll only take a few of the smoky pink irises (unless the missus allows me other things).

Reactions: VolNExile
Tree pollen has been increasing the past two weeks. Most oaks are now dangling their ganglia. Alas, pines are pumping out their pollen already. Soon, my deck will be covered in it (I have no pines in my yard, but there are plenty around me.). Perhaps this early Spring will mean an early end to it. My screened porch will be yellow with pollen for the next 4-6 weeks. Years ago, I learned to take the porch furniture cushions inside and surrender to the pollen until it’s done. Here, on the Southern Piedmont, the air will be a soup of pollen for a month or more…

Tree pollen has been increasing the past two weeks. Most oaks are now dangling their ganglia. Alas, pines are pumping out their pollen already. Soon, my deck will be covered in it (I have no pines in my yard, but there are plenty around me.). Perhaps this early Spring will mean an early end to it. My screened porch will be yellow with pollen for the next 4-6 weeks. Years ago, I learned to take the porch furniture cushions inside and surrender to the pollen until it’s done. Here, on the Southern Piedmont, the air will be a soup of pollen for a month or more…
Wife got something similar to these:

At least, the construction dust from the development behind us has ended with the completion of the last house.

Coupla bumblebees with the zoomies in the backyard! They’ve come out a little early due to the wacko temperatures, and there aren’t really enough flowers with pollen for them yet. They seem to be battling for turf - first time I’ve ever seen an aggressive bumblebee. 🐝

Coupla bumblebees with the zoomies in the backyard! They’ve come out a little early due to the wacko temperatures, and there aren’t really enough flowers with pollen for them yet. They seem to be battling for turf - first time I’ve ever seen an aggressive bumblebee. 🐝
Carpenter bees are territorial. The dance is in full swing.

Transfered pepper seedlings to bigger cups and moved to a different light. They are all nice and healthy. I tried these sweet peppers last year and didn't get them germinated and had to buy some. Looking forawrd to getting some of them. Not the typical sweet peppers people plant. All the maters finally came up. Hope they won't be leggy like the broccoli Rabe. The leaf section is taking off but the base is still wire thin and they are laying over. Plenty of time still though. May just do those again. Didn't realize how slow basil is from seed, but looking good. Strawberries got plugged last week, and have since started putting up new leaves. Excited.

Transfered pepper seedlings to bigger cups and moved to a different light. They are all nice and healthy. I tried these sweet peppers last year and didn't get them germinated and had to buy some. Looking forawrd to getting some of them. Not the typical sweet peppers people plant. All the maters finally came up. Hope they won't be leggy like the broccoli Rabe. The leaf section is taking off but the base is still wire thin and they are laying over. Plenty of time still though. May just do those again. Didn't realize how slow basil is from seed, but looking good. Strawberries got plugged last week, and have since started putting up new leaves. Excited.
I have most of the seedlings under full-spectrum grow lights in the basement now. (My better half has his own agricultural experiment station down there but won't be starting any seeds until late May.)

Holy cow, those seedlings are going nuts! Never again with the fluorescent shop lights.

Reactions: Tin Man
I have most of the seedlings under full-spectrum grow lights in the basement now. (My better half has his own agricultural experiment station down there but won't be starting any seeds until late May.)

Holy cow, those seedlings are going nuts! Never again with the fluorescent shop lights.
Both my lights are full spectrum LED. One is a rectange flat light and has the visible red and blue light along with the white. THe other is a 3 bulb light that is full spectrum but doesn't have the visible red and blue. Both are on small tripods than adjust up to 50"H though I don't think one of them really will. Got both on amazon just $4 more total than the $36 one at Lowe's. I introduced the heat mat last year, but no light other than window daylight. Moderate to not so great success. I added the grow lights this year. This forum probably saved me several years of trial and error in my own seed starting.

Why do I see this when I read this post?

560eb48faeb14.image.jpg

Why do I see this when I read this post?

View attachment 631874
Good Lord, how big do you think our basement is?!

It's this (ooo, look, tomatoes in the pic; yeah right):
1712267219875.png
All kidding aside, it's a really good setup, allowing control of air temp, soil temp, and humidity, and it frees up the horizontal space in the kitchen and sunroom for things other than a dozen 1020's. I'll pop up some pics at some point this weekend.

- the door closes with zippers from the top and bottom.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back