The Endzone Garden Thread

In other news, after a couple weeks with the heat mat and growing lamp, 3 of 8 sweet peppers finally broke soil. Slow dang germinators. I might need to go ahead and add a egg plant. Couldn't even get them to germinate on direct sow last year.
I never had any problem getting bell peppers to germinate (although they're def slower than tomatoes), but when I put them out in late May (soil temp 70 or so, air temp in high 70's-low 80's), it took forever for them to get going, and they still weren't much of anything by August. I'm leaving them to the tailgate marketers this year! Jimmy Nardellos were a lot more responsive.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I never had any problem getting bell peppers to germinate (although they're def slower than tomatoes), but when I put them out in late May (soil temp 70 or so, air temp in high 70's-low 80's), it took forever for them to get going, and they still weren't much of anything by August. I'm leaving them to the tailgate marketers this year! Jimmy Nardellos were a lot more responsive.
Me too. It's always mid-summer when the heat kicks in before my peppers wake up and go. And always cayene and jalapeno much better than sweets. Left tons of tobascos on the bush. They were insane.

What part? We probably covered this before.

I was born and raised in Griffin. Moved to Hartwell at 31 for the next 16 years, and passed by Lil' Joey on my way to work every day over in his neck of NGA. Didn't know of him then and wouldn't have seen him in his Flintstone Car at the light anyway. Dad worked for UGA on the Experiemnt Stations...peanut scientist. He was born in raised in Jackson County, TN and returned home to the family place when retired. Which is where I've been since 2014.

What part? We probably covered this before.

I was born and raised in Griffin. Moved to Hartwell at 31 for the next 16 years, and passed by Lil' Joey on my way to work every day over in his neck of NGA. Didn't know of him then and wouldn't have seen him in his Flintstone Car at the light anyway. Dad worked for UGA on the Experiemnt Stations...peanut scientist. He was born in raised in Jackson County, TN and returned home to the family place when retired. Which is where I've been since 2014.
Gwinnutia, as we locals call it.

How bout that. Got my new bush cherry in on Friday. Was gone for the weekend. Shipped bare root bundled in wet newspaper and plastic. Planted on tuesday. Soil was pretty wet and clumpy, and wasn't satisfied with the planting. Pulled it back up Wednesday, cut in some dry garden soil and replanted it. Looked at it at lnch today and it is covered with tiny bloom buds fixin to blow up erry where.

How bout that. Got my new bush cherry in on Friday. Was gone for the weekend. Shipped bare root bundled in wet newspaper and plastic. Planted on tuesday. Soil was pretty wet and clumpy, and wasn't satisfied with the planting. Pulled it back up Wednesday, cut in some dry garden soil and replanted it. Looked at it at lnch today and it is covered with tiny bloom buds fixin to blow up erry where.
World’s best fertilizer: the gardener’s shadow.

(paying attention to your plants)

You can easily turn a couple hundred bucks off that. Perception would have people paying you $6-$7 for a tomato plant that they would pass on at Lowe's for $5.
I'd much rather get plants from a individual, local organization or local garden center than Lowes or HD. I understand that's not an economical option for some of us.

Reactions: VolNExile
You can easily turn a couple hundred bucks off that. Perception would have people paying you $6-$7 for a tomato plant that they would pass on at Lowe's for $5.
It's for our county's Extension Master Gardener plant sale. Some of the newer members, like me, are trying to broaden public perception of EMGs as flowering plant ladies into areas like vegetable gardening, native plants, etc. It's fun being a Young Turk at age 69...

edit to add: I put any extras out on the corner as giveaways. They're usually gone within 20 minutes, haha

Last edited:
I'd much rather get plants from a individual, local organization or local garden center than Lowes or HD. I understand that's not an economical option for some of us.
Similarly, I've almost (almost) given up on growing heirloom tomatoes in this area. The prevailing winds from the south bring up all this crap from the Gulf area. I decided to walk to the local tailgate market on summer Tuesdays and pay more. The farmers are usually young people starting out in a tough economy, and I'm happy to support them as they get (and remain) established.

And let THEM deal with early blight, late blight, septoria, fusarium, botrytis, and on and on...

VN Store

Back