The Elephants in the room

+10000000000000! I really hope by now everyone has picked up on Amb's trolling techniques. He'll take a jab at Holly and Co. every chance he gets. Sprinkle in some good comments about the Lady Vols and HIGH praise of UCONN and *wallah* you have an undercover UCONN troll pretending to be a LadyVol fan.

When he says "our" team, or "we", just know it's all a facade my good people. 😉

Unless my memory has failed or misdirected me, I will have to disagree with you on this one LV1908. I'm pretty sure I have met Amb personally and am aware of his Lady Vol roots. We disagree about the best path for the Lady Vols in our current situation, but that doesn't mean we aren't all fans at heart.

Jim

Reactions: 5 people
What Diamond did was a bit on the selfish side, but you have to wonder how bad things would have got for Tennessee had she NOT been here the prior two seasons. She saved the lady vols in a number of games, and without her point production, i dont think tennessee makes the ncaa tournament. Losing 26 games the past two seasons is bad enough, but w/o diamond it would have been much worse.

With the talent coming in this season , think tennessee can have a great year, but i think the play of the freshman and how quickly they come along will determine that success. If they struggle like tea did her freshman year, things could get rough. Its one thing to watch highlight vids of these frosh, but its an entirely different matter when they actually play in a competitive collegiate game. Teas highlight vids from hs were amazing, but we saw firsthand how she struggled adjusting to the college game.

With the burden of diamond and coop's soap opera drama now lifted from Holly's shoulders, i think team chemistry can greatly improve. I guess we all just have to stay tuned and hope for the best

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
unless my memory has failed or misdirected me, i will have to disagree with you on this one lv1908. I'm pretty sure i have met amb personally and am aware of his lady vol roots. We disagree about the best path for the lady vols in our current situation, but that doesn't mean we aren't all fans at heart.

Jim

🤔

Did Diamond leave voluntarily? Or did Holly finally develop a spine and read Diamond the riot act: If you want to play, you are going to have to change the following parts of your game/attitude....Otherwise you will spend the upcoming season on the bench! Does anyone know what is going on behind the scenes? Is Law gone for the same reason? Is Holly really cleaning house? Are there more changes coming? The timing of Diamond's departure seems strange.

I highly doubt that Holly read Diamond the riot act. I am guessing, but I believe it had more to do with Cooper moving on. I don't believe Holly is cleaning house, I believe it is circumstances based on individual attitude.

If Diamond was subject to leave because her friend was shown the door, it is best she leaves now rather than during the season.

I am so impressed with Dunbar, she could have quite and moved on, and started for a lot of programs, however, being a true Lady Vol, she has stayed. I hope she can garnish some playing time during the upcoming season.

Reactions: 3 people
What Diamond did was a bit on the selfish side, but you have to wonder how bad things would have got for Tennessee had she NOT been here the prior two seasons. She saved the lady vols in a number of games, and without her point production, i dont think tennessee makes the ncaa tournament. Losing 26 games the past two seasons is bad enough, but w/o diamond it would have been much worse.

With the talent coming in this season , think tennessee can have a great year, but i think the play of the freshman and how quickly they come along will determine that success. If they struggle like tea did her freshman year, things could get rough. Its one thing to watch highlight vids of these frosh, but its an entirely different matter when they actually play in a competitive collegiate game. Teas highlight vids from hs were amazing, but we saw firsthand how she struggled adjusting to the college game.

With the burden of diamond and coop's soap opera drama now lifted from Holly's shoulders, i think team chemistry can greatly improve. I guess we all just have to stay tuned and hope for the best
Excellent post.

Amb, I suspect that I recognize the somewhat sarcastic tone in your post, but unfortunately your frequently stated bias against Holly has, once again, in my opinion, taken you too far overboard for the sarcasm to be effective.

I don't consider myself a "Holly apologist", although some may feel differently, nor do I come on the board and make disparaging comments about players for public consumption, but I must say that I am disappointed in Diamond Deshields' decision to leave the team, both because of the timing and the manner in which it was done. Not having been present during any of the conversations, I cannot, nor will not, speak to the circumstances that occurred, but it is intuitively obvious to the casual observer that the action was not based on any "team" consideration. And, in my opinion, displayed a regrettable lack of loyalty and personal responsibility. One simply does not make a public commitment and display of solidarity and three weeks later abruptly, and without explanation, renege on that commitment. That, in my opinion, shows a character fault that I did not recognize before. My personal hope is that Ms Deshields learns and grows from this situation. If not, I foresee a number of instances of quitting on situations and teammates in her future!

As for Holly, of course she shares some of the blame for recent events and the direction of the team. But your characterization is, in my opinion, over the top. It fails to recognize the limitations that the NCAA places on a coaching staff regarding involvement/contact in the off season (and even in season). Surely you are aware that the coaching staff sits down with each player and advises them regarding the things that they need to work on individually during the off season. And, the operative word here is, individually. The staff cannot make the players work on these things. And that brings us to, what I consider, one of Holly's greatest failings. She has allowed the roster to be too much on the thin side, as a result of poor recruiting techniques, to deal with the unfortunate, but as Lady Vol fans have seen in the recent era, but all to often circumstance of roster depletion, either as a result of injury or defection. Does this need to change? Clearly. Have there been positive steps taken? in my opinion, yes.

And, in my opinion, the constant negative harping of some posters, while not as serious an effect as the direct involvement of the coaching staff, can have a detrimental effect on the team (because it has been made extremely clear that both players, family and recruits read this board) and the program. Just my opinion!

Jim
Frankly, I was surprised Tennessee accepted DD after what she did to N. Carolina. She convinced a bunch of players to go with her to NC, and then bailed on them to come to Tennessee. Do you not feel DD was disloyal to NC and the players she abandoned? Leaving Tennessee should not have been a shock.

If Holly shares in the blame, it should be for taking DD in the first place. The risks were apparent.

Reactions: 4 people
That is what it seems like. Her loyalty was to Te'a and not the team so much. Regardless, leaving is a bad decision for Diamond. Had she stayed, she would have a major media spotlight on her the whole season. She would have been one of the marquee players in WCBB and the reality is that status would have done more for her brand, long term, than playing in the relative anonymity of a European pro league. I was hoping that "cooler" heads would prevail before this lose-lose decision was made. I am bummed about this turn of events.

Who cares about media spotlight when you can make 6 figures overseas? She did the right I thing I think she should have enter the draft from the start. It's not like she is learning or getting better with holly. She is a terrible coach so why not go overseas and learn a lot alongside other professionals.

Reactions: 1 person
"clean house"? I thought she very much wanted Cooper to stay, and that her departure was a result of university disciplinary moves? I doubt she "cleaned house" with Middleton either. I'm sure Middleton's decision was her own. She probably left because Warlick did NOT clean house. There were problems on the team and they were not handled strongly, and they festered. That may have been partly why Middleton left--that and not playing more. I suspect DD got in one of her pouty, me-first moves after Cooper left and decided to leave herself, but that is only speculation. And let's not forget that the recruiting debacle of three years ago--problems with Elzy--made the situation worse. If you've got players with bad attitudes or who are playing badly, you bench them or find ways to push them out the door. Warlick couldn't do that---if she wanted to--because we had no players after a year in which we signed nobody but a transfer who played one year and another player who will never play. The problems have been MANY.

Armchair you are on the money, the biggest consistent negative thing to the LV's program has been CHW and until she is gone there is no upturn to the program...she is definitely in over her head!

Who cares about media spotlight when you can make 6 figures overseas? She did the right I thing I think she should have enter the draft from the start. It's not like she is learning or getting better with holly. She is a terrible coach so why not go overseas and learn a lot alongside other professionals.

I agree about the money ... my only thing was the timing. Maybe an offer came along she couldn't refuse and I'm sure anybody would support that decision. I think other posters have it right though that the Te'a situation contributed to it. If she had said in Apri/may she hanged her mind the staff might have looked at some JC prospects or grad transfers but this is a whole 2+ months later that you just drop a decision like that. I believe in doing what is best for you and your family no doubt but I also believe in doing things the right way. Hopefully Diamond did that by having a conversation with her coaches and teammates not just saying I'm out. I'm sure all parties involved would have understood. As far as Holly being a horrible coach she is not the best! Lol but I still think you owe her and your teammates a reason when you made a public thing about them being the reason you wanted to come back. That's just my take and maybe for being s younger person I was raised old school where you say what you have to say and move on. Not this new aged crap lol

I agree about the money ... my only thing was the timing. Maybe an offer came along she couldn't refuse and I'm sure anybody would support that decision. I think other posters have it right though that the Te'a situation contributed to it. If she had said in Apri/may she hanged her mind the staff might have looked at some JC prospects or grad transfers but this is a whole 2+ months later that you just drop a decision like that. I believe in doing what is best for you and your family no doubt but I also believe in doing things the right way. Hopefully Diamond did that by having a conversation with her coaches and teammates not just saying I'm out. I'm sure all parties involved would have understood. As far as Holly being a horrible coach she is not the best! Lol but I still think you owe her and your teammates a reason when you made a public thing about them being the reason you wanted to come back. That's just my take and maybe for being s younger person I was raised old school where you say what you have to say and move on. Not this new aged crap lol

She doesn't need the money. She left in the most gutless, lowdown way possible. I'm embarrassed I was such a fangurl. She has proven she has not one shred of integrity or loyalty. May "God's favorite daughter" reap what she has sown. (She has "God's favorite daughter" on her Twitter account which should have been my first clue.)

Reactions: 7 people
She doesn't need the money. She left in the most gutless, lowdown way possible. I'm embarrassed I was such a fangurl. She has proven she has not one shred of integrity or loyalty. May "God's favorite daughter" reap what she has sown. (She has "God's favorite daughter" on her Twitter account which should have been my first clue.)

No surprise.
Predicted this last year.
If DD doesn't see a trophy, she jumps.

No surprise.
Predicted this last year.
If DD doesn't see a trophy, she jumps.

I hope she is drafted by a WNBA team that consistently wins if that is the case. I would hate to see her drafted by a team like Chicago or San Antonio

I hope she is drafted by a WNBA team that consistently wins if that is the case. I would hate to see her drafted by a team like Chicago or San Antonio

Why do you think she waited until the WNBA draft was over? She can pick and choose overseas. She would have to play for a lottery team if she opted for the WNBA. Over there, she can jump to most any team.

Why do you think she waited until the WNBA draft was over? She can pick and choose overseas. She would have to play for a lottery team if she opted for the WNBA. Over there, she can jump to most any team.

Yeah but if her desire is to play in the WNBA she would still end up on a lottery team and trust me based on her questionable character now, a lot of WNBA coaches (and GMs because many have dual roles) aren't going to want anything to do with her

Yeah but if her desire is to play in the WNBA she would still end up on a lottery team and trust me based on her questionable character now, a lot of WNBA coaches (and GMs because many have dual roles) aren't going to want anything to do with her

I don't predict her playing in the WNBA until she can come into it on her own terms.

She gave her word she was coming back...in a big, multi-page Instagram post. She gushed on and on about mentoring the freshmen, and I believe, referred to them as her "little babies." Your word is your bond. Period. I agree with your assessment that this makes her character look questionable....but a narcissist always thinks they are in the right. I observed her on social media after the season ended and it took me about five minutes to figure out she was not a team player. This latest turn of events confirmed it. Onward we go... so excited for Evina to arrive and complete the "Fab Four!" 💙🍊🏀

Reactions: 9 people
I honestly don't think Diamond has damaged her draftability one iota. GMs want players who have advanced skills, and DeShields can play. GMs also watch NCAA games and, I'm sure, could see just as plainly as we did that she would benefit greatly from a major upgrade in coaching. Pro coaches are better equipped to handle a player/personality like hers since they are paying her to do a job.

I honestly don't think Diamond has damaged her draftability one iota. GMs want players who have advanced skills, and DeShields can play. GMs also watch NCAA games and, I'm sure, could see just as plainly as we did that she would benefit greatly from a major upgrade in coaching. Pro coaches are better equipped to handle a player/personality like hers since they are paying her to do a job.

oh, she'll play WNBA...But it won't be with a cellar-dweller...Not DD.

Do you know how her entry to the WNBA would work? Does she have to enter the draft, or can she sign a contract directly with any team?

I don't think so either. Plenette Pierson was kicked off her college team as a senior and has been involved in at least 2 fights in the WNBA, but she's still sought after as a hard working veteran who provides toughness and leadership. More recently, Riquana Williams was booted from her Miami team shortly before the NCAAT her senior year, and had no problem getting onto a roster because she was talented.

Diamond's crimes pales in comparison. It's like joining a company because you want to work with a friend, giving a wonderful speech about how excited you are to be with such a great company, then turning around and quitting when your friend gets fired. I have my doubts any GM will hold that against her if she's lighting it up in the overseas leagues and can help improve the skills of their team.

Reactions: 3 people
Unless my memory has failed or misdirected me, I will have to disagree with you on this one LV1908. I'm pretty sure I have met Amb personally and am aware of his Lady Vol roots. We disagree about the best path for the Lady Vols in our current situation, but that doesn't mean we aren't all fans at heart.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. We actually haven't personally met, but have interacted quite a bit when I was a regular on The Summit for about 15 years before they went to the pay model. Can't remember f you were on the old ESPN board, but I was a regular there too.

I ignore people like LV1908 to be honest. If she thinks my posting habits reveals me as a UConn fan trolling the board, I just hope she's not in a career that relies on deductive reasoning...

So many of us are upset with DD and her decision[backing out on her word]...[I for one am very disappointed] but I think most of us are much older than she is and may have also made unpopular decisions as a young person...[In saying that] I think the words of many young people today, is just that [WORDS]...it doesn't make them bad people [just undependable people]...she's not the FIRST and definitely won't be the LAST...life is life and people have to do what is best for themselves and may not mean to hurt others...time to focus strongly on what we may be able to accomplish this season with the RETURNERS and the LV FAB4 [when/if Westbrook appears]...Who knows what could happen...GO LVFL

I don't know whats burning inside the program but there certainly is a lot of smoke. Never heard of a top player from a top program dumping their team to go overseas. Maybe its happened before but at least its very rare.

VN Store

Back