The Elephants in the room

And a humblebrag? #soprecious

No bragging would be posting pictures of my houses, life, family. I am just offering you the help you may possibly need. But anyways back to the regularly scheduled posting about the elephant in the room. Feel free to block me if you'd like though!

No bragging would be posting pictures of my houses, life, family. I am just offering you the help you may possibly need. But anyways back to the regularly scheduled posting about the elephant in the room. Feel free to block me if you'd like though!

Keep telling yourself that.

It's fascinating to see how the claws have come out for that despicable, toxic, prima donna Diamond Deshields, as well as her narcissistic, low class sidekick Te'a Cooper.

By my recollection, the only LV who has met/exceeded expectations as a player based on her HS credentials has been Izzy Harrison. There has been much criticism of the likes of Ariel Massengale, Cierra Burdick, Bashaara Graves, Alexa Middleton...even Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russell. None of them have lived up to their lofty billing playing for Holly. Pity that Holly has had such terrible luck with all of these overrated players. I look forward to after next season which of the players the ardent Holly supporters will blame. Will it be the soft Mercedes Russell? The lackadaisical Jaime Reynolds? Perhaps lazy Rennia Davis, out of shape Kasi K., out of control Annie, and overrated Evina...or will those daggers be saved for the following season? I'm waiting anxiously with bated breath.

I for one am very sad for Diamond leaving, but the truth is that based on the fans' reaction here, they weren't deserving of her.

Amb, I suspect that I recognize the somewhat sarcastic tone in your post, but unfortunately your frequently stated bias against Holly has, once again, in my opinion, taken you too far overboard for the sarcasm to be effective.

I don't consider myself a "Holly apologist", although some may feel differently, nor do I come on the board and make disparaging comments about players for public consumption, but I must say that I am disappointed in Diamond Deshields' decision to leave the team, both because of the timing and the manner in which it was done. Not having been present during any of the conversations, I cannot, nor will not, speak to the circumstances that occurred, but it is intuitively obvious to the casual observer that the action was not based on any "team" consideration. And, in my opinion, displayed a regrettable lack of loyalty and personal responsibility. One simply does not make a public commitment and display of solidarity and three weeks later abruptly, and without explanation, renege on that commitment. That, in my opinion, shows a character fault that I did not recognize before. My personal hope is that Ms Deshields learns and grows from this situation. If not, I foresee a number of instances of quitting on situations and teammates in her future!

As for Holly, of course she shares some of the blame for recent events and the direction of the team. But your characterization is, in my opinion, over the top. It fails to recognize the limitations that the NCAA places on a coaching staff regarding involvement/contact in the off season (and even in season). Surely you are aware that the coaching staff sits down with each player and advises them regarding the things that they need to work on individually during the off season. And, the operative word here is, individually. The staff cannot make the players work on these things. And that brings us to, what I consider, one of Holly's greatest failings. She has allowed the roster to be too much on the thin side, as a result of poor recruiting techniques, to deal with the unfortunate, but as Lady Vol fans have seen in the recent era, but all to often circumstance of roster depletion, either as a result of injury or defection. Does this need to change? Clearly. Have there been positive steps taken? in my opinion, yes.

And, in my opinion, the constant negative harping of some posters, while not as serious an effect as the direct involvement of the coaching staff, can have a detrimental effect on the team (because it has been made extremely clear that both players, family and recruits read this board) and the program. Just my opinion!

Jim

Reactions: 10 people
Amb, I suspect that I recognize the somewhat sarcastic tone in your post, but unfortunately your frequently stated bias against Holly has, once again, in my opinion, taken you too far overboard for the sarcasm to be effective.

I don't consider myself a "Holly apologist", although some may feel differently, nor do I come on the board and make disparaging comments about players for public consumption, but I must say that I am disappointed in Diamond Deshields' decision to leave the team, both because of the timing and the manner in which it was done. Not having been present during any of the conversations, I cannot, nor will not, speak to the circumstances that occurred, but it is intuitively obvious to the casual observer that the action was not based on any "team" consideration. And, in my opinion, displayed a regrettable lack of loyalty and personal responsibility. One simply does not make a public commitment and display of solidarity and three weeks later abruptly, and without explanation, renege on that commitment. That, in my opinion, shows a character fault that I did not recognize before. My personal hope is that Ms Deshields learns and grows from this situation. If not, I foresee a number of instances of quitting on situations and teammates in her future!

As for Holly, of course she shares some of the blame for recent events and the direction of the team. But your characterization is, in my opinion, over the top. It fails to recognize the limitations that the NCAA places on a coaching staff regarding involvement/contact in the off season (and even in season). Surely you are aware that the coaching staff sits down with each player and advises them regarding the things that they need to work on individually during the off season. And, the operative word here is, individually. The staff cannot make the players work on these things. And that brings us to, what I consider, one of Holly's greatest failings. She has allowed the roster to be too much on the thin side, as a result of poor recruiting techniques, to deal with the unfortunate, but as Lady Vol fans have seen in the recent era, but all to often circumstance of roster depletion, either as a result of injury or defection. Does this need to change? Clearly. Have there been positive steps taken? in my opinion, yes.

And, in my opinion, the constant negative harping of some posters, while not as serious an effect as the direct involvement of the coaching staff, can have a detrimental effect on the team (because it has been made extremely clear that both players, family and recruits read this board) and the program. Just my opinion!

Jim

All fair points. The thing is, none of us know the circumstances behind what caused Diamond to leave, but people have been quick to pile up on her. At the same time, Holly gets a pass because us same fans don't know the circumstances behind how she has been involved in player development, but are just looking at the outcome...much as what is being done here with Diamond. Except, one is approved of and the other is tut-tut'd.

Diamond nor Alexa deserve the kind of trash talking that has come with their announcements from their fans. Te'a kind of made her own bed and we have more insight into the circumstances of her departure, but Diamond/Alexa deserve better than we as a collective fanbase have given them.

Reactions: 2 people
so, we'll finally get to see some real basketball and not some dramatic opera...sounds good to me...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 4 people

Jim

I have to agree with Amber on this. The head coach sets the direction on everything that is LV basketball. CHW has had the talent to achieve much more than she has. The offense is terrible, the defense is not aggressive, players don't always play hard, and nothing much ever changes. Sugar coat it any way you want, but it lies at the feet of Holly Warlick.

Reactions: 7 people
Too much "me", not enough "we", there's no" I"in team,we're prima donnas and drama queens? Something was definitely wrong. :question:

Jim

+10000000000000! I really hope by now everyone has picked up on Amb's trolling techniques. He'll take a jab at Holly and Co. every chance he gets. Sprinkle in some good comments about the Lady Vols and HIGH praise of UCONN and *wallah* you have an undercover UCONN troll pretending to be a LadyVol fan.

When he says "our" team, or "we", just know it's all a facade my good people. 😉

To rephrase: Losers quit when they get tired,winners don't quit 'til after they've won. That sounds better(?). :)

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results"

Perhaps Diamond chose to be a sane loser rather than an insane winner.

+10000000000000! I really hope by now everyone has picked up on Amb's trolling techniques. He'll take a jab at Holly and Co. every chance he gets. Sprinkle in some good comments about the Lady Vols and HIGH praise of UCONN and *wallah* you have an undercover UCONN troll pretending to be a LadyVol fan.

Awww, your obsession with me is so sweet! ❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: 3 people

Lol 😂

Since the announcement of Diamond not returning people have bashed Holly and put it all on her for Alexa, Te'a, and Diamond leaving! The only person out of that the players have stated that they will miss judging from their twitters and other social media outlets is Jolette Law!

That says a lot if you ask me! They didn't bash Te'a or Middleton many wished them the best, but when it came to Diamond the current players as well as the incoming freshman parents all seemed to breathe a sigh of relief that she has finally made her decision (or the decision was made for her).

From the smiley face from Holly to Mercedes posting the same one to Hayes mom getting in on the action as well as many others like Michelle Vopel saying how bad it looks on Diamond part says a lot!

Has Holly made mistakes and looked clueless (yes) there are many factors that could have lead to that, now I feel it is truly her show and she doesn't have to attend with other folk trying to coach her team or players listening to others and not focusing on what she has asked them to do!

I have been critical of Holly but I have also seen strides! This offseason she has taken an approach that she probably should've taken a couple of seasons ago! It's better late than never imo and I am looking forward to this upcoming season because I truly believe it is going to be a special one! I see the hunger in the players more, i also see the chemistry and them being around each other more, they no longer seem divided!

Kortney Dunbar made a profound statement which summed it all up on her twitter page and I think we should all trust the process and see how this season plays out! I'm sure Holly knows that she will not get a renewed contract if we arent putting a better product on the floor!

The link below is what Dunbar tweeted last night!

https://twitter.com/kdxiii_/status/878474473833476096

What is this "on the job coaching training"? She took the reigns of a top 10 program and she is "making strides"? Players totally out of control are a sign of a weak coach. I could still live with her until she explained 3 times in post game interviews that she had no idea what was wrong. If that was true why would you let the media know? The blood letting may not be over, the fab 4 frosh could change their minds as well. If I was a recruits parent I would be taking a 2nd look at this program.

Reactions: 5 people
What is this "on the job coaching training"? She took the reigns of a top 10 program and she is "making strides"? Players totally out of control are a sign of a weak coach. I could still live with her until she explained 3 times in post game interviews that she had no idea what was wrong. If that was true why would you let the media know? The blood letting may not be over, the fab 4 frosh could change their minds as well. If I was a recruits parent I would be taking a 2nd look at this program.

What..you're not a parent of a recruit? well at least we have that to be thankful for!

You should plead the 5th...yes I think Holly is a little bit too nice/soft, but I see her toughening up...players leave teams for a number of reasons [some good and some bad]...we don't always know the true reasons...Don't be so mad at Holly [that] you summon recruits to maybe look elsewhere...I hope everyone else stays and the entire off-season becomes a blessing in disguise...GO LVFL

I'm fully aware that she's gone and not coming back. I just find it a bit unfortunate with how our fan base is reacting by trashing the character of Diamond and Te'a, and dismissing what Alexa brought to the team. All this b!tching about criticism of Holly scaring off the recruits, but at the same time showing these same recruits how quickly the fan base will turn on them.

I guess the current players who are pleased with where the program is headed are turning on her also.

Reactions: 1 person
This team is going to come together in a very positive way. Team Chemistry is a tremendous asset and will take this team to the Elite 8. I have confidence that the weak link or links have been removed. GO LV!!!

Reactions: 7 people
Did Diamond leave voluntarily? Or did Holly finally develop a spine and read Diamond the riot act: If you want to play, you are going to have to change the following parts of your game/attitude....Otherwise you will spend the upcoming season on the bench! Does anyone know what is going on behind the scenes? Is Law gone for the same reason? Is Holly really cleaning house? Are there more changes coming? The timing of Diamond's departure seems strange.

Did Diamond leave voluntarily? Or did Holly finally develop a spine and read Diamond the riot act: If you want to play, you are going to have to change the following parts of your game/attitude....Otherwise you will spend the upcoming season on the bench! Does anyone know what is going on behind the scenes? Is Law gone for the same reason? Is Holly really cleaning house? Are there more changes coming? The timing of Diamond's departure seems strange.

These are all good questions which I've been wondering about as well. I think Law left voluntarily for a good opportunity at SC and to go back closer to home and family.

My take is that Law left only because an opportunity arose close to home for her.
I think Diamond left because Cooper got kicked off the team. I think she thought more of Cooper than the team and her decision was based totally on what happened to Cooper.
Middleton who knows no reason was ever given seems strange for a person to leave with only one year remaining to play.

My take is that Law left only because an opportunity arose close to home for her.
I think Diamond left because Cooper got kicked off the team. I think she thought more of Cooper than the team and her decision was based totally on what happened to Cooper.
Middleton who knows no reason was ever given seems strange for a person to leave with only one year remaining to play.

That is what it seems like. Her loyalty was to Te'a and not the team so much. Regardless, leaving is a bad decision for Diamond. Had she stayed, she would have a major media spotlight on her the whole season. She would have been one of the marquee players in WCBB and the reality is that status would have done more for her brand, long term, than playing in the relative anonymity of a European pro league. I was hoping that "cooler" heads would prevail before this lose-lose decision was made. I am bummed about this turn of events.

VN Store

Back