The Difference Between A’ja Wilson and Russell

There is no agenda, by the way A’ja can play the 5. Why does there have to be an agenda? Because someone post a post does not mean they are trying to undermine Russell or trying to be argumentative. Russell has played a lot better the last five games than she played last year. She seems to be hustling a lot more and the last five games she seems to be more aggressive.

when you are there and see it in person, you see her footwork is much faster. She is lighter on her feet.

Russell is knock kneed. A condition that can be improved with specific training and conditioning, but seems to have escaped her, the staff and anyone else who trained her coming up. Reduces lateral movement and flexibility.

Russell is knock kneed. A condition that can be improved with specific training and conditioning, but seems to have escaped her, the staff and anyone else who trained her coming up. Reduces lateral movement and flexibility.

Hmmm, this player, surrounded by an outstanding medical and training staff, took a red shirt season for reconstructive foot surgery and a comprehensive re-conditioning program. But only you have detected this "correctable" problem. Truly amazing.

Some aspects of a players gait are structural and can only be corrected so much. I am pretty confident whatever quirks remain in MR's stride, fall into that category.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Hmmm, this player, surrounding by an outstanding medical and training staff, took a red shirt season for reconstructive foot surgery and a comprehensive re-conditioning program. But only you have detected this "correctable" problem. Truly amazing.

Some aspects of a players gait are structural and can only be corrected so much. I am pretty confident whatever quirks remain in MR's stride, fall into that category.

I think MR is much lighter on her feet. This can only by working on your foot-speed. Learning how to move from below the knees.

Two days ago a Fire Holly thread was started.

Today this thread was started in order to criticize Mercedes.

Tennessee fans of football and women's basketball have an inferiority complex. They have a constant and never ending need to b!tch about everything.

Reactions: 7 people
The same thing about coaching can be said about Russell. If our coaches could develop players maybe she would have been a star for us. As it is, she is playing because of her status coming out of HS not because of her abilities as a senior leader at UT.
Please name one player on our squad that isn't better than when she arrived...i will wait and laugh!

Reactions: 2 people
You mean like when she played the five last year after Coates was injured?

Wilson is tough as nails and does what she needs for her team.
I am basically quoting aji herself...if you followed her career you would know exactly what I was referring to and talking about. Again tell her she is a 5...double dog dare you!

Reactions: 1 person
There is no agenda, by the way A’ja can play the 5. Why does there have to be an agenda? Because someone post a post does not mean they are trying to undermine Russell or trying to be argumentative. Russell has played a lot better the last five games than she played last year. She seems to be hustling a lot more and the last five games she seems to be more aggressive.
Because it is basically a negitive assine comparison, and no true fan of Lady Vol basketball would start such a tread about our senior leader who will be an All American. Did you ever want to compare Payton Manning and Hersell Walker? No, why? They also don't play the same position, they also both were great. Walker was probably the most dominate College Player ever, and Payton gave everything for his University but couldn't win the SEC. This tread is mean spirited in nature and only negavol unhappy people would dare contribute to this assine and harmful debate. We are a team. Better individual has no positive energy. Are you related to Diamond or Tea? Only half joking?

Reactions: 6 people
I am basically quoting aji herself...if you followed her career you would know exactly what I was referring to and talking about. Again tell her she is a 5...double dog dare you!

I'm not sure I'm getting your point...... She played 5 with no problem in the NCAA tourney last year and led her team to a National Championship.

Please name one player on our squad that isn't better than when she arrived...i will wait and laugh!

Basharra graves could have been more dominant. She had flashes where she could take over a game, but I think she struggled with confidence issues as time went on.

Basharra graves could have been more dominant. She had flashes where she could take over a game, but I think she struggled with confidence issues as time went on.
she plays in the pros, out of high school no way...obviously she learned and developed her skills...try again. Or...just agree it was a ridiculously wrong statement

Last edited:
Wilson and Jennings are a tougher matchup for teams then Wilson and Coates. Just ask Duke how tough it was to guard them today. Jennings can score away from the basket as well as carve out space in the lane like no other. As far as who's the better players then Wilson and Russell I don't really think you can compare them. Wilson is a Forward while Russell is a Center. McCowan would be a better comparison as well as Kalani Brown for who's the better Center.

Duke has horrible coaching and their post since McCauley has arrived have not been very good. But I understand you're point. Duke (like us) plays a hybrid 4 player (Odom) who is 6'2" and she struggled yesterday offensively. I don't see that being the case in a UT vs SC matchup because Jaime (although she might not be able to defend Wilson defensively 1 on 1) will force Wilson to have to play defense as she is a far better player Odom.

Russell has defended and played quite well against Jennings (can't say the same about Jennings guarding her) but we shall see.

But comparing the two (Wilson and Russell) and their play is foolish (not saying you compared them but in general).

What, because she used to say she was a guard when she was a freshman? And then Dawn proceeded to play her at the high post for two years, then high/low post last year and this year? Seems she doesn't mind.

Duke has horrible coaching and their post since McCauley has arrived have not been very good. But I understand you're point. Duke (like us) plays a hybrid 4 player (Odom) who is 6'2" and she struggled yesterday offensively. I don't see that being the case in a UT vs SC matchup because Jaime (although she might not be able to defend Wilson defensively 1 on 1) will force Wilson to have to play defense as she is a far better player Odom.

Russell has defended and played quite well against Jennings (can't say the same about Jennings guarding her) but we shall see.

But comparing the two (Wilson and Russell) and their play is foolish (not saying you compared them but in general).

I don't think Wilson will mind having to play defense. She's been a regular on the SEC All Defensive teams, and I think she was SEC DPOY at least once.

I suspect that Wilson will spend more time guarding Mercedes if Jennings struggles early. SC could also play Jennings less and give more minutes to Harrigan since she can probably defend Nared better, but she's not as much of an offensive threat.

I think the SC game will be decided by the battle of the guards. The frontcourts will for the most part likely be a wash.

A friend and I were discussing the difference between Wilson and Russell. Wilson is quicker, faster, exhibits more leadership skills, has better vision and can anticipate the moves of opposing players, willing to take a team on her back, more aggressive, more physical, tougher, rarely takes time off while on the court and rarely out of position. I think this is some of the reasons Russell is listed as the third post that will be taken in the 2018 WNBA draft behind Wilson and McCowan.

Except for the speed issue, I believe that Russell has untapped abilities. I believe that speed training can improve her speed. Russell has more athleticism than McCowan but not the toughness, however, I would draft Russell over McCowan. In the post Russell is quicker than McCowan and has much better post moves. Russell can at times be aggressive, however, she is inconsistent. She lacks the vision and anticipation of Wilson. I also believe that if Russell was more aggressive and physical, she would be awsome. She seems to play better against better completion but sometimes loses her focus when playing against lesser competition. Because she lacks anticipation, she can be had when dealing with speedy players. A lot of Russell’s issues, although Holly and Dean fans hate to hear this, is coaching.

The difference between the two is that Russell knows what she is and what she isn't...Wilson hasn't got there yet.

The difference between the two is that Russell knows what she is and what she isn't...Wilson hasn't got there yet.

I'm curious how you've come to that conclusion? Wilson seems to know exactly what she is and plays that way. She rarely takes bad shots.

I'm curious how you've come to that conclusion? Wilson seems to know exactly what she is and plays that way. She rarely takes bad shots.

Wilson is a guard stuck in a post' frame. She would be a Bohemith as a trained small forward. But she often plays Low. . .But for a true down-low post, give me MR as she is playing right now a hundred out of 99 times.

Because it is basically a negitive assine comparison, and no true fan of Lady Vol basketball would start such a tread about our senior leader who will be an All American. Did you ever want to compare Payton Manning and Hersell Walker? No, why? They also don't play the same position, they also both were great. Walker was probably the most dominate College Player ever, and Payton gave everything for his University but couldn't win the SEC. This tread is mean spirited in nature and only negavol unhappy people would dare contribute to this assine and harmful debate. We are a team. Better individual has no positive energy. Are you related to Diamond or Tea? Only half joking?

You are an assine Ahole trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I do not have to answer to your sorry agumentative butt or any other idiot like you. If you don’t like the post then don’t read it. Who made you God and left you in charge of what is negative. It is idiots like you that want to read things into post that are highly inaccurate. I did not mean any of the crap evolving out of your ignorant mind. If you took it that way you are an idiot. To me you are an irrelevant butt hole looking for a fight. I could care less about your idiotic opinion. You are clueless as to if Russell will be an all American or not. Are you related to an over inflated Ahole who thinks he knows everything? You can compare athletics without them playing the same position are you too stupid to understand that? How they affect the game, what they mean to the team, their aggressiveness, their leadership skills, their knowledge of the game, their ability to carry a team, etc. I never said Wilson was a better post than Russell.

Last edited:
Wilson is a guard stuck in a post' frame. She would be a Bohemith as a trained small forward. But she often plays Low. . .But for a true down-low post, give me MR as she is playing right now a hundred out of 99 times.

Your homerism is oozing through the screen. Wilson's skill set allows her to do things a typical post can't do. She's averaging 23.8 ppg and 11.2 rpg while Russell averages 18 ppg and 8 rpg which is off from her double double she wanted to average this year. She came in as the SEC active player for double doubles but has since been overtaken by Wilson and stands three games back. Russell is shooting at better percentage but Wilson leads all other categories.

Your homerism is oozing through the screen. Wilson's skill set allows her to do things a typical post can't do. She's averaging 23.8 ppg and 11.2 rpg while Russell averages 18 ppg and 8 rpg which is off from her double double she wanted to average this year. She came in as the SEC active player for double doubles but has since been overtaken by Wilson and stands three games back. Russell is shooting at better percentage but Wilson leads all other categories.

Clearly you have homerism as well! Name the likes of players Russell had to "share" the spotlight with or play behind during her time at UT compared to those that Wilson's had to.

Since Wilson arrived on campus it's essentially been her show.

You have Tiffany Mitchell, Alaina Coates, Alseigha Welch, Davis and Gray (who she only played 1 season with)

Russell had to sit behind or play with;

Izzy Harrison, Cierra Burdick, Diamond DeShields, Basharra Graves, Meighan Simmons, Jaime Nared, Ariel Massengil, Jordan Reynolds (and I haven't even included the talented freshman that's providing us close to 30 PPG if not more than that.)

It was Wilson's show the moment she agreed to play for SC as the #1 recruit. It wasn't Russell's show and you can say this is probably the first year it's been her show.

Staley's team's have always called for her 4 player to be the spotlight of her team dating back to her Temple days (Candace Dupree). The emphasis in her coaching philosophy has been to go to them first and then everything else happens.

Holly has tried to do the same with Russell but didn't have the luxury of that with all the other talent surrounding her.

They are two different players asked to provide 2 different things for their teams. Losing Russell would be a blow for us but I don't think it ends our season if Wilson is removed from SC that is it for yall.

Best of Luck with Te'a being eligible and replacing Wilson on the grad transfer circuit in the off-season.

Last edited:
Clearly you have homerism as well! Name the likes of players Russell had to "share" the spotlight with or play behind during her time at UT compared to those that Wilson's had to.

Since Wilson arrived on campus it's essentially been her show.

You have Tiffany Mitchell, Alaina Coates, Alseigha Welch, Davis and Gray (who she only played 1 season with)

Russell had to sit behind or play with;

Izzy Harrison, Cierra Burdick, Diamond DeShields, Basharra Graves, Meighan Simmons, Jaime Nared, Ariel Massengil, Jordan Reynolds (and I haven't even included the talented freshman that's providing us close to 30 PPG if not more than that.)

It was Wilson's show the moment she agreed to play for SC as the #1 recruit. It wasn't Russell's show and you can say this is probably the first year it's been her show.

Staley's team's have always called for her 4 player to be the spotlight of her team dating back to her Temple days (Candace Dupree). The emphasis in her coaching philosophy has been to go to them first and then everything else happens.

Holly has tried to do the same with Russell but didn't have the luxury of that with all the other talent surrounding her.

They are two different players asked to provide 2 different things for their teams. Losing Russell would be a blow for us but I don't think it ends our season if Wilson is removed from SC that is it for yall.

Best of Luck with Te'a being eligible and replacing Wilson on the grad transfer circuit in the off-season.

Clearly you are upset LOL. First get your facts straight in Wilson's first year she came off the bench and that was Mitchell's and Welch's team that year. Since then she has been the "star".

I wasn't tearing Russell down I was just assuring CJ that there is no way she's the better post player out of the two.

Your correct it isn't her show because she was never the best player out of her class. She should be dominating in every aspect of the game but she isn't so stop with the excuses yes she played with talented players but even then she still hasn't played up to her billing.

There you go bringing up "next year". Of course after losing your star player you can expect growing pains but Dawn isn't new to this rodeo and I expect SC to be fine. But the same could be said for UT. Who replaces Russell? Or Nared? Yes Davis is good but Green, KK, and Harris has been far less than impressive against teams that doesn't even rank top 50 in RPI besides Marquette and OSU.

Oh and we will welcome Cooper once she becomes eligible. I think she had something in store for everyone who was trying to tear her down. Oh and Good luck Sunday versus Texas. They are legit and it looks like it might be a long day if your Vols don't cut down on the TOs.

Clearly you are upset LOL. First get your facts straight in Wilson's first year she came off the bench and that was Mitchell's and Welch's team that year. Since then she has been the "star".

I wasn't tearing Russell down I was just assuring CJ that there is no way she's the better post player out of the two.

Your correct it isn't her show because she was never the best player out of her class. She should be dominating in every aspect of the game but she isn't so stop with the excuses yes she played with talented players but even then she still hasn't played up to her billing.

There you go bringing up "next year". Of course after losing your star player you can expect growing pains but Dawn isn't new to this rodeo and I expect SC to be fine. But the same could be said for UT. Who replaces Russell? Or Nared? Yes Davis is good but Green, KK, and Harris has been far less than impressive against teams that doesn't even rank top 50 in RPI besides Marquette and OSU.

Oh and we will welcome Cooper once she becomes eligible. I think she had something in store for everyone who was trying to tear her down. Oh and Good luck Sunday versus Texas. They are legit and it looks like it might be a long day if your Vols don't cut down on the TOs.

Clearly your love for our program and what we do is the barometer for what your program only hopes to be.

This is a Lady Vols forum and you are a frequent visitor.

I've never been on anything related to SC because I could care less of what y'all are doing but your (y'all) love fest for what we do is obvious. (Jolette Law and Te'a and it still didn't land y'all any of the recruits that y'all thought she would be able to convince to come there)

Russell dealt with a situation that is known and it took our coaches to correct a problem that many of her coaches neglected (Foot issues). Wilson had no such issue and the only reason you all landed her was because she's a home town kid.

Funny how much 1 title can do for a program and it's arrogance.

Don't concern yourself with how well we perform against Texas concern yourself with how well y'all perform against us. Last year we lost to Texas but that didn't stop us from upsetting y'all and your team with 3 Top 10 draft selections.

Fact is we are what y'all want to be and it's evident.

And there could be an argument that Wilson wasn't the best in her class either. (ever heard of Kelsey Mitchell) but like Russell, and Griner 6'5 and above stands out more than 6'0" and below.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back