The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Hinske got his pitch and absolutely destroyed it . . . complete with the Bonds-esque pose and slow walk out of the batter's box.

Missed the bomb.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Sanchez had an 0-2 count then wasted a couple before serving up a nice juicy beach ball thigh high on the inner half and Hinske hit it like he was playing slow pitch softball.

That makes 5 infield hits tonight for the Marlins. I don't think I've ever seen that many in one game.

Time to fire up the MLB At Bat app for three hours of maddeningly slow updates. Anybody know of some illicit way to watch these Padres and Giants games online?

That's what I've been doing -- I've got the At Bat app running with the radio feed on all the time, with MLB network on so I can unmute it and watch when they decide to go live. Cumbersome, though. I feel like, since we're living in the future and all, I ought to be able to go to some website and just watch the games I want in grainy, craptacular video for nothing.

And right now MLB network is blacked out for me completely. Was the Braves game telecast on it earlier? I was watching on the usual Fox Sportsouth channel.

That's what I've been doing -- I've got the At Bat app running with the radio feed on all the time, with MLB network on so I can unmute it and watch when they decide to go live. Cumbersome, though. I feel like, since we're living in the future and all, I ought to be able to go to some website and just watch the games I want in grainy, craptacular video for nothing.

And right now MLB network is blacked out for me completely. Was the Braves game telecast on it earlier? I was watching on the usual Fox Sportsouth channel.

Yep.

Once 10:30 rolled around, I got the Giants game. So I'm good. CHI/SD on the iPad, AZ/SF on the TV. Beer in the fridge. Man, it's nice to have a pennant race again, however this turns out.

Speaking of which, the Reds are in the playoffs for the first time since the Braves eliminated them on their way to a World Series title about a thousand years ago. Wow, that's pathetic.

I love MLB Extra Innings.

I used to get it, but once we added the second kid it really became impractical for me to take advantage of it during the season, so I dumped it. I can't really watch any more baseball than the Braves games anymore. I wish there were an option to buy just September for $30 or something.

The Atlanta lineup looks positively meager but the playoffs offer a new season, and a precedent - ESPN

Having been a rabid Dodgers fan in the first 24 years of this life, I present to you the championship lineup for Tommy Lasorda's team in Game 5 of the 1988 World Series:

2B Steve Sax
1B Franklin Stubbs
LF Mickey Hatcher
RF Mike Marshall
CF John Shelby
DH Mike Davis
C Rick Dempsey
3B Jeff Hamilton
SS Alfredo Griffin

Lasorda's choices had been greatly altered by injuries to Kirk Gibson, Mike Scioscia and others, but in a short window, this collection of journeymen and castoffs somehow managed to finish off the Mets in the National League Championship Series and then win four of five games from an Oakland team loaded with the likes of Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire and a bunch of other mashers. They rode the brilliance of Orel Hershiser and the Dodgers' pitchers to a title.

If Lasorda had been forced to use that lineup the entire summer, the Dodgers wouldn't have ever had the chance to compete in the postseason, but in a short time frame -- in a small window -- they made it work.

Lasorda's lineup came to mind after word broke about Martin Prado's injury on Tuesday night. Prado is done for the year in Atlanta, and so is Chipper Jones, leaving Bobby Cox to quilt together some young players and veterans around the steady Brian McCann. An example:

2B Omar Infante
RF Jason Heyward
C Brian McCann
1B Derrek Lee
LF Melky Cabrera
SS Alex Gonzalez
3B Brooks Conrad
CF Rick Ankiel

The 2010 Braves look like the '27 Yankees in comparison to the '88 Dodgers, and they have three good starting pitchers and a very deep bullpen. But the mystery every day will be about how the runs can be produced, and some pixie dust will be needed -- the unexpected bolt, the kind that came in the seventh inning on Tuesday night.

I like Conrad too. But the writer over at Capital City Club thinks they should play Glaus or Hinske over Conrad.....

Given the three hitters, it's Hinske hands down. But he hasn't played 3B regularly in years. Depends on how well the Braves think he could handle the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back