The Association Football Thread

Arsenal have definitely been crafty in the transfer market, but to compete for the EPL title, or even top four most seasons, money must be spent and there's really no way around it. Arsenal is trending up but the ceiling is still realistically 4th.

Arsenal have definitely been crafty in the transfer market, but to compete for the EPL title, or even top four most seasons, money must be spent and there's really no way around it. Arsenal is trending up but the ceiling is still realistically 4th.

Definitely.. There is talk that they are finally fed up, and might (for once) invest in a world class player. If I had to guess I would say that player would be Benzema. He fits the Arsene profile. He would fit into the squad like a glove, and with Wilshere slowly making his way back to 100% we would be contenders. For me, it is either that or buy a world class holding midfielder and allow Theo to have a chance up front.

I really don't think that'll work out too well.

He has stepped it up in front of goal and has been finishing his chances.. Also, if he gets a channel there isn't a player in the world that can catch him. I just don't see how trying it could hurt.

I would be happy if Cesc continues to be frustrated with sitting on the bench and makes a move back. I think we put in a clause that makes us the only team in the world that could feasibly purchase him without paying an atrocious amount of money. I know this will never happen, but I always hold out hope. Here's to hoping Xavi pulls a Giggs and just never ages.

Last edited:
With barças luck I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a real chance to step up this year.

Tello has been solid up front but its time for fabregas to get in the game more

He already has gotten that chance to step. He has started every game in the league except for one. He is probably playing his best football since he got here and also very healthy. He's finally starting to fit in and figure out his place in the team.

So what group winner draws Real Madrid? I'll go with Bayern for entertainment sakes.

If we get back into form by that time, I would love to see that. Sounds bad, but I kind of hate to see Gomez back. I think he screws up the team chemistry.

I thought it quite symbolic that Iniesta gave it to him. Greatest set-up players of all time.

Conveniently forget to mention his first goal that he did all himself.

And I find it ironic that an Arsenal fan is saying that considering Messi put 4 past your team with basically no help from his teammates.

February 12 and March 6
Celtic v Juventus
Valencia v Paris Saint-Germain

February 13 and March 5
Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid v Manchester United

February 19 and March 13
FC Porto v Malaga
Arsenal v Bayern Munich

February 20 and March 12
Galatasaray v Schalke 04
AC Milan v Barcelona

Champions League draw. Some great and interesting matchups, particularly Real-United, Shaktar-Dortmund, AC Milan-Barca, and Arsenal-Bayern.

As much as I would like to see United win, Real has too much class for them. I think Ozil and Ronaldo will be too much for their backs and the midfield will be controlled by Real.

Dortmund will be in the midst of playing catchup in the Bundesliga in February and March, so it's hard to see them playing as well as they have been in the CL. Dortmund has clearly been playing well in CL play for a change, but for some reason (maybe Dortmund's push to catch up in the BL or Shaktar's experience) I expect Shaktar to get past them.

Milan is in turmoil. I can't really see them competing with Barca this year. They are so far back in Serie A, that they'll likely be fully concentrating on CL play, but I don't see that making a difference unless they turn their home turf to mud.

Bayern-Arsenal is hard for me to judge because rooting interest comes into play. I like and follow Arsenal since the addition of Mertesacker and Podolski. Wenger can come up with a good game plan, and that game plan against Bayern is to sit back and counter, which Podolski and Giroud can be very effective at. But I certainly believe Bayern's midfield >>>> Arsenal's midfield and will control the game. Bayern as always will have lots of shots, just depends on their capitalizations of those shots.

What think you guys?

VN Store

Back