The Anxiety thread

Absolutely. That's why you need to keep busy. I've been through some of the same things you're talking about. For me, working out/exercising reduces my anxiety. Kind of exerting my nervous energy. Also when I feel something coming on, though it's fewer and far between since medication and time, I usually go in a dark cold room, or call someone you know will understand what you're going through to calm you down.
I Try To Keep Myself busy with work, movies, TV shows and such. Usually my problems occur whenever I'm not doing anything and I allow my mind to wander off and start thinking bad things like tumors and such

I've had those trance like feelings too. Often thought I've experienced somethin called derealization or depersonalization.

I've even got such a weird feeling in my extremities like they are so weak or whatnot and like they don't want to work and I swear it feels like they are weak, but when I test for actual clinical weakness they are definitely not. If you can squeeze/grip tightly and do push ups or jump or what not then you don't have clinical weakness is what I was told so I find myself doing the dumbest self tests. Which probably just fuels it.

I've had those trance like feelings too. Often thought I've experienced somethin called derealization or depersonalization.

I've even got such a weird feeling in my extremities like they are so weak or whatnot and like they don't want to work and I swear it feels like they are weak, but when I test for actual clinical weakness they are definitely not. If you can squeeze/grip tightly and do push ups or jump or what not then you don't have clinical weakness is what I was told so I find myself doing the dumbest self tests. Which probably just fuels it.

I do self tests all the time. I drive myself insane doing it too

I suffered from random anxiety/panic attacks back in 2013-2014. I couldn't tell you how long exactly this went on but it was easily months. Certain things seemed to make it worse, especially driving in my car. To make a long story short I inadvertently learned I had mono and that was the only thing I can attribute the anxiety to to this day. What I've learned about anxiety though is it's mostly psychological. A thought gets into your head, your mind latches on to it, and from that point on it snowballs into a panic attack. The best thing to do is to stop thinking before it gets to that point. Slow, steady breathing in addition to doing something to help take your mind off it. I would start cleaning if I felt a panic attack coming on or call a friend and start talking with them. This makes you think of other things instead of what is bothering you. Talking on the phone can help normalize breathing which can help to stop anxiety. It can vary between people, some hold their breath during anxiety and some hyperventilate and both of these in excess will make things worse. To stop a really bad anxiety attack that you can't seem to shake, fill a large bowl or sink with cold water, throw a bunch of ice in with it(it has to be really cold ice water). Submerge just your face in the bowl for as long as you can stand it(trust me, it won't be long at all).
I'm going to try all of these things. I appreciate the ideas. My anxiety is about my health and my loved ones, however. Does it still effect you to this day?

I Try To Keep Myself busy with work, movies, TV shows and such. Usually my problems occur whenever I'm not doing anything and I allow my mind to wander off and start thinking bad things like tumors and such

Brother, we're on the same page.I had a big scare last year with my eye lid drooping...so of course I thought my anxiety had finally come true. Go blood work done, neurologist, Vanderbilt, etc. I was devastated before even hearing a diagnosis, and basically stopped eating, sleeping, etc. Turns out it was only an auto immune disense. After all of that, sometimes I still don't believe the doctors. But I know it's just the anxiety.

Last edited:
Brother, we're on the same page.I had a big scare last year with my eye lid drooping...so of course I thought my anxiety had finally come true. Go blood work done, neurologist, Vanderbilt, etc. I was devastated before even hearing a diagnosis, and basically stopped eating, sleeping, etc. Turns out it was only an auto immune disense. After all of that, sometimes I still don't believe the doctors. But I know it's just the anxiety.
Exactly. See I'd like to see a neurologist too bc of my minor head pains. However my doctor says migraines, random vomiting, seizures, and part of your body going numb or paralyzed are symptoms of a head problem, not minor head pains. But the anxiety in me says well what if?? When I know there is nothing wrong. It drives me crazy

Why did u think that? Was there any physical reason/symptoms?

That's the thing about anxiety. Anxiety doesn't care if the symptoms match a significant disease. Our brains make us assume the worst no matter what. There's no such thing as I'm having minor head pains maybe they're tension headaches or maybe I'm imagining them. It's I have minor head pains I've got a tumor or dementia or anything horrible.

Anxiety can be frustrating and debilitating, but it is the most "curable" mental illness. The basic solution is understanding the pattern of overreaction to normal bodily sensations/changes and accepting that the "worst" will not happen (passing out, seizure, dying, going crazy). There are many therapy methods, books, and even online resources to guide the process.

Specific phobias can be a little trickier may require a more targeted approach.

Hey everyone, serious thread here anyone here a anxiety sufferer? I just recently had mine triggered and I'm looking for people to discuss it with that may experience it as well. I have health anxiety better known as hypochondria

I used to laugh at people who said they had panic attacks. Figured it was just bs, then I had one. I freaked out and jumped out of bed and spent an hour walking laps around the house in the middle of the night. My wife thought I had lost my mind. It was a horrible feeling.

Anxiety can be frustrating and debilitating, but it is the most "curable" mental illness. The basic solution is understanding the pattern of overreaction to normal bodily sensations/changes and accepting that the "worst" will not happen (passing out, seizure, dying, going crazy). There are many therapy methods, books, and even online resources to guide the process.

Im.supposed to start getting some counseling. We'll see how it goes. I know I'm fine health wise but my anxiety still makes me think what if I'm not? I'm sure it'll get better with time hopefully counseling helps.

I used to laugh at people who said they had panic attacks. Figured it was just bs, then I had one. I freaked out and jumped out of bed and spent an hour walking laps around the house in the middle of the night. My wife thought I had lost my mind. It was a horrible feeling.

Yeah it's not fun. People react differently when I have a attack I feel zoned out like I'm almost in a different world like nothing is real. It's hard to explain honestly without sounding insane

For the record I'm afraid I may have some depersonalization disorder myself. It comes on usually when I allow myself to think about things. No idea how to stop it

I actually don't like crowds anymore either. It's made going to sporting events and concerts pretty difficult, even college and NFL games that used to be a de-stresser.

Same here. Usually having a few adult beverages takes the anxiety away and I'm able to enjoy myself.

My doctor says I'm self medicating to reduce the stress. She's right. I hate taking meds.

That's the thing about anxiety. Anxiety doesn't care if the symptoms match a significant disease. Our brains make us assume the worst no matter what. There's no such thing as I'm having minor head pains maybe they're tension headaches or maybe I'm imagining them. It's I have minor head pains I've got a tumor or dementia or anything horrible.

The specific comments about the neck/throat interested me. In HS I had to see an MD because it felt like my uvula would swell/got stuck to my tonGue and I was choking/smothering. The doc said it was anxiety. My parents has both lost jobs and people who we respected spent a great deal of time/effort trying to hurt my family.
I taught myself how to kind of ignore it for a while then a few years later, in college, I found myself in the middle of a bout of full blown depression and anxiety/paranoia. I got to the point I was afraid to walk thru parking lots during the day. After I finally got so bad I decided to see a therapist but stopped when they recommended medication (I was recovering at that point). Now I just kind of have learned to control it, but social situations and doing things like singing at church are hard for me.

The specific comments about the neck/throat interested me. In HS I had to see an MD because it felt like my uvula would swell/got stuck to my tonGue and I was choking/smothering. The doc said it was anxiety. My parents has both lost jobs and people who we respected spent a great deal of time/effort trying to hurt my family.
I taught myself how to kind of ignore it for a while then a few years later, in college, I found myself in the middle of a bout of full blown depression and anxiety/paranoia. I got to the point I was afraid to walk thru parking lots during the day. After I finally got so bad I decided to see a therapist but stopped when they recommended medication (I was recovering at that point). Now I just kind of have learned to control it, but social situations and doing things like singing at church are hard for me.
Yeah I see where you're coming from. I don't like crowds and I lock every door after entering as a comparison. I lock my door when I go to bed. Sounds extreme I know

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I don't like crowds and I lock every door after entering as a comparison. I lock my door when I go to bed. Sounds extreme I know

Crowds don't bother me. I mean people get on my nerves but going to a place like the mall or an amusement park doesn't trigger me. I have a harder time going to functions where I know people - showers, weddings, funerals, local social events.

Why did u think that? Was there any physical reason/symptoms?

Yes for the past few years I've had palpable lymph nodes. If you look at the first section from the tip of your finger to the first line, then half that. That's about the size. There are a few like that and I was convinced I had lymphoma.

Crowds don't bother me. I mean people get on my nerves but going to a place like the mall or an amusement park doesn't trigger me. I have a harder time going to functions where I know people - showers, weddings, funerals, local social events.

I still go out but I watch my environment like a hawk. I watch everyone around me for the most part.

I still go out but I watch my environment like a hawk. I watch everyone around me for the most part.

Ive read this thread and some of you all sound like I do - Not sure the counseling will work for you unless you find one that wont give up on you - I had several and once I got to know one, the insurance changed, and they told me to go see so and so at this place or that place -- they are not loyal people or a friend like they put on to be. I have taken xanax for almost 15 years now, it seems at this point the only thing that matters in my life is Vol FB

Ive read this thread and some of you all sound like I do - Not sure the counseling will work for you unless you find one that wont give up on you - I had several and once I got to know one, the insurance changed, and they told me to go see so and so at this place or that place -- they are not loyal people or a friend like they put on to be. I have taken xanax for almost 15 years now, it seems at this point the only thing that matters in my life is Vol FB
I'm a little skeptical about the whole counseling thing. I'm not sure how counseling will stop my imaginary pains I feel but I figure it's worth a shot. I'm taking Lexapro and hydroxazine. Just started though not sure if it's doing much

I'm a little skeptical about the whole counseling thing. I'm not sure how counseling will stop my imaginary pains I feel but I figure it's worth a shot. I'm taking Lexapro and hydroxazine. Just started though not sure if it's doing much

You might want to ask your Dr to add xanax - it works pretty well for me - its actually supposed to be used with the anti depressant, but I dont like the way they (ADs) make me feel -- and word of caution, be very careful what you say to the counselor, until you know them well enough and they know you better.

I'm going to try all of these things. I appreciate the ideas. My anxiety is about my health and my loved ones, however. Does it still effect you to this day?

I typically only get them now if I do certain things in excess that I shouldn't be.

This! I meant to say this as well. Despite how worried or freaked out you might be or feel at the time you aren't going to die.

You might want to ask your Dr to add xanax - it works pretty well for me - its actually supposed to be used with the anti depressant, but I dont like the way they (ADs) make me feel -- and word of caution, be very careful what you say to the counselor, until you know them well enough and they know you better.

Noted. I appreciate it. Stick around I'll need all the adevice I can get.

I typically only get them now if I do certain things in excess that I shouldn't be.

This! I meant to say this as well. Despite how worried or freaked out you might be or feel at the time you aren't going to die.

Yeah it's just hard. I know I'm not dying but these imaginary symptoms still occur. It's just going to take me some time.

VN Store

Back