The All Things Cycling Thread

69 riders from Quad Cities, Des Moines, Iowa City, Peoria, Chicago, Dubuque... seriously good time. The bar we rode too had ample time to prep, but ran out of beer and burger baskets. Like, really, best time of my life.

Last edited:
How far does this MUP go?

p1435749872-3.jpg

How far does this MUP go?

p1435749872-3.jpg

Iowa side is about 5 miles straight with another 7 running back through Davenport, Illinois side is about 50 miles with some road sections mixed in. Iowa plans on taking it another 10 miles upriver. There are two bridges you can ride across (Arsenal Bridge has a lane, Centennial has a sidewalk) and the new interstate 74 bridge will have a bike lane, too.

A 50 mile ride like on that would be a nice change of pace, though it might get boring day after day.

It does, trust me. Heavily traveled sections on the Moline riverfront are always too busy with stupid walkers to ride at a constant pace and the trees are too close to the MUP and the roots have destroyed some sections. It's nice to have, though. I can hit a 35 mile loop without really touching the road, maybe two and a half miles of it would be road. Bettendorf has a ton of commuter trail. I usually take the Moline path upriver to Hampton, then cut up onto some back roads and rolling hills.

Heavily traveled sections on the Moline riverfront are always too busy with stupid walkers to ride at a constant pace and the trees are too close to the MUP and the roots have destroyed some sections.

Meh, that sounds like our short MUPs here. The picture above looked like it might be better.

Meh, that sounds like our short MUPs here. The picture above looked like it might be better.

That section is usually never occupied. That's west Davenport. Moline's Butterworth Parkway is usually the worst, but it gets better once you get up onto the levee. A lot of people park at the end of the parkway and avoid it all together or take the road to the levee (which is what I do).

New toys came in today. Feels like Christmas day. X-Fusion Velvet RL2R and White Industries MI6 hubset. :boobies:

And a Surly bottle opener. :pimp_2:

Cold, gusty winds this evening. I was cruising at ~7 mph slower than normal on a downhill stretch, thanks to a headwind. It blows.

Going to Denver in a week and a half to do some riding. Not sure whether to take the road bike or mountain bike. Might be cold and snowing or it might be in the 50's. Gonna do some elevation for the first time.

Going to Denver in a week and a half to do some riding. Not sure whether to take the road bike or mountain bike. Might be cold and snowing or it might be in the 50's. Gonna do some elevation for the first time.

It's still winter here.

VN Store

Back