The All Things Cycling Thread

Tried to ride saturday but the trails were still too wet. Spring needs to get here fast.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thats cool. Have you done it before?

First time. It ends in my city this year on the same day as the Bix 7 road race and Bixfest. Approximately 30,000 people packed into downtown Davenport. They're calling it a "sports explosion."

weather finally broke. road ride saturday on the parkway and mountain biked sunday in the woods. it was fantastic. a little kid yelled saturday - wow mom look how fast he's going.

I'm buying a new bike first week of April and cannot quite decide which one I want. It's either between a 2011 Scott Speedster S20 or an Orbea Aqua T105. Both are equipped with full Shimano 105 gruppo. The Scott is $100 less, but the Orbea has an orange/white paint job. The Orbea is a more aggressive riding style, where as the Scott is between aggressive and relaxed.

images

images

The Orbea's paint job is the best out there, IMO. I ride trails so I think I would go with the Orbea anyways

The Orbea's paint job is the best out there, IMO. I ride trails so I think I would go with the Orbea anyways

Best paint job, Yup. That's why I was so stuck on buying it until I saw the Scott. Major plus with the Scott is that ill get to test ride it before I buy, whereas the Orbea I won't be able to because no one in my area has one in stock.

I've been toying with the idea of a triathlon, but the biking has kept me leery. Do you guys feel safe on busy roads? I've heard horror stories of beer bottles, pickup doors, and rednecks.

I have a Cannondale mountain bike that is currently collecting dust. Would love to get back on the trails, but I don't really have anyone to ride with right now. In the past, I've had great fun at Haw Ridge and Norris...

I've been toying with the idea of a triathlon, but the biking has kept me leery. Do you guys feel safe on busy roads? I've heard horror stories of beer bottles, pickup doors, and rednecks.

I have a Cannondale mountain bike that is currently collecting dust. Would love to get back on the trails, but I don't really have anyone to ride with right now. In the past, I've had great fun at Haw Ridge and Norris...

I ride busy roads all of the time. The risks are there and they are abundant. Familiarize yourself with the streets and people that drive on them. Wear reflective gear and a flashing tail light at all times. Never wear headphones while riding on the streets. Don't swerve and always be predictable.

I've been a victim of a hit and run, I've been intentionally run off the road, and I've also had stuff thrown at me. One time someone even had the nerve to throw a bottle at me as a cop watched. Didn't turn out too well for them. :D

I always wear a RoadID just in case something happens and I get hurt. You just cannot be scared if you're at all serious about it.

Last edited:
I tend to ride either on roads with wide emergency lanes or roads that aren't very busy. Biking is very easy on the joints so it's my preferred cardio workout

Got a new shock for my singlespeed and tried it our for the first time. I didn't realize how trashed the old on was. 2 hrs mountain bike riding on Saturday was awesome. Shorts and a t-shirt, the weather was perfect. 1 1/2 hr road ride on Sunday. A bit chilly and windy.

Best paint job, Yup. That's why I was so stuck on buying it until I saw the Scott. Major plus with the Scott is that ill get to test ride it before I buy, whereas the Orbea I won't be able to because no one in my area has one in stock.

from a looks standpoint, the Scott is awesome. seems like it would be a nightmare, keeping clean, tho.

I tend to ride either on roads with wide emergency lanes or roads that aren't very busy. Biking is very easy on the joints so it's my preferred cardio workout

this is why i dug my bike out and started riding again. started back running, but my legs just dont quite have it like they used to.

Got a new shock for my singlespeed and tried it our for the first time. I didn't realize how trashed the old on was. 2 hrs mountain bike riding on Saturday was awesome. Shorts and a t-shirt, the weather was perfect. 1 1/2 hr road ride on Sunday. A bit chilly and windy.

tri, if you had to choose between biking and running, which would you choose?

I'd chose running.

Finally got out for a quick ride at lunch yestesday. Into the wind on the way back.

I'd chose running.

Finally got out for a quick ride at lunch yestesday. Into the wind on the way back.

there is definately a mental aspect in running that ive never had with other forms of cardio.the natural high is untouchable. i do, however, like being able to cover alot of territory, as i do, on my bike. biking takes more concentration and is not as cerebral as running.

from a looks standpoint, the Scott is awesome. seems like it would be a nightmare, keeping clean, tho.

Yeah, the Scott is even more awesome looking in person. There's a new shop that just opened here and I've been talking with the guy, he's gonna cut me a nice deal on a Felt when he finds out what he'll get from them. He wants me to be one of the first people in the area out on a Felt since we've never had them here before. I'm also going to be working for him on the side for a discount on parts and stuff. I pretty much walked into a sweet situation.

Looking at one of these two now:

Felt Z6
Z6_2011_SMALL(1).jpg

Full Carbon monocoque frame, mixed components.

Felt F75
F75_NAVY_2011_SMALL.jpg

Aluminum frame, carbon fork, full Shimano 105 gruppo

I'm also considering entering my first cat 5 race on Memorial Day. I'm not really anywhere near racing shape, but I figured I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by participating.

Yeah, the Scott is even more awesome looking in person. There's a new shop that just opened here and I've been talking with the guy, he's gonna cut me a nice deal on a Felt when he finds out what he'll get from them. He wants me to be one of the first people in the area out on a Felt since we've never had them here before. I'm also going to be working for him on the side for a discount on parts and stuff. I pretty much walked into a sweet situation.

Looking at one of these two now:

Felt Z6
Z6_2011_SMALL(1).jpg

Full Carbon monocoque frame, mixed components.

Felt F75
F75_NAVY_2011_SMALL.jpg

Aluminum frame, carbon fork, full Shimano 105 gruppo

I'm also considering entering my first cat 5 race on Memorial Day. I'm not really anywhere near racing shape, but I figured I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by participating.

both of those bikes are awesome.. good gig you got yourself into. agree fully about the race. maybe try n get your chops up a little so you dont look like a clown with a really dope bike. lol

both of those bikes are awesome.. good gig you got yourself into. agree fully about the race. maybe try n get your chops up a little so you dont look like a clown with a really dope bike. lol

Well, I shaved for the first time in 6 months yesterday so that should help... :) I gotta get my current bike up and working properly so I can get on the road before I get my new bike. The stationary at the gym is extremely uncomfortable and boring. I have zero race experience. Lol.

Well, I shaved for the first time in 6 months yesterday so that should help... :) I gotta get my current bike up and working properly so I can get on the road before I get my new bike. The stationary at the gym is extremely uncomfortable and boring. I have zero race experience. Lol.

ive thought about switching to road biking, and joining a club. problem is, i think i would freak out in a pack. would have to be 1st or last the whole time to be comfortable. the first Felt you pictured is the better looking of the 2. didnt look so much at specs. just talking bout looks.

a Cannondale collecting dust is a sad sad image, kd. :/ does that bursitis/stress fracture prohibit you from riding as well?

tri, if you had to choose between biking and running, which would you choose?

mountain biking. on a crisp fall day when the leaves have changed and started to fall. the trail is so smooth there is nothing that compares to it.

found a steal on full carbon trek madone last fall and just started road biking. The first few times I dressed like I was riding my mountain bike with shorts and t-shirt and mountain bike shoes. I got a bunch of strange looks from all the roadies. Now I dress like them so I can go faster.

VN Store

Back