The All Things Cycling Thread

I guess it was in the 90's and moderately high humidity on Tuesday. I was going to ride my bike to work today seeing as how it's perfect out side today, but I drank a little too much last night... oops.

Put in 30 miles today on some hilly back roads. I've got a solid sun burn and my tires are full of tar from the first 8 miles. I'll remember to never ride that road again. The extra rolling resistance made a huge difference. I still kept an 16mph average, though. Working my way up to century status again.

I just bought a used Trek Pilot 2.1. It's not an aggressive race geometry, but that's ok with me, I'm just using it for fitness and mabye some occasional long rides. It's in great shape looks barely ridden. It has Shimano 105 brakes/shifters and front derailleur and an Ultergra rear derailleur. Carbon front and rear forks, carbon stem, and carbon seatpost.

In the first two days I've logged 26 miles.

Had to bump this thread cause my road bike is supposed to be coming in today. Found an insanely good deal on Trek Madone on Ebay. Never thought I'd be able to afford Carbon Fiber bike. I'm stoked.

Had to bump this thread cause my road bike is supposed to be coming in today. Found an insanely good deal on Trek Madone on Ebay. Never thought I'd be able to afford Carbon Fiber bike. I'm stoked.

heck yeah, that is awesome!!! i rode one when i was shopping for a bike, and it was so sweet. hopefully you can get some good rides in before the weather changes

That's what I'm hoping. I can see the Blue Ridge Parkway from my house plus tons of country roads. Should be good especially with the leaves changing. I'm dreading the bigger gears but I know it'll make me a better mountain biker.

My wife and I do a lot of camping and both have older bicycles. Anyone have any suggestions on some good bikes for us?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I imagine she won't want to do any hardcore biking. But we do stay in the smokies and in places that have some decent trails.

If your only going to ride on forest roads or easy trails than a decent entry level mountain bike should work. You can buy one new for $800-1000 or on Ebay/Craigslist for half that. The best thing to do is go to a couple of local bike shops. They will let you test ride different models. You will be able to the difference in cost and brand. Figure out which one you like then look online. If your patient you can find one that is only slightly used. Somebody bought it trying out the sport or for a wife/girlfriend and only rode it a couple of times. I did that for my wife who's a casual rider. Her bike new was $700. I got it off Craigslist for $250. Mtbr.com is good review site also. Hope this helps.

If your only going to ride on forest roads or easy trails than a decent entry level mountain bike should work. You can buy one new for $800-1000 or on Ebay/Craigslist for half that. The best thing to do is go to a couple of local bike shops. They will let you test ride different models. You will be able to the difference in cost and brand. Figure out which one you like then look online. If your patient you can find one that is only slightly used. Somebody bought it trying out the sport or for a wife/girlfriend and only rode it a couple of times. I did that for my wife who's a casual rider. Her bike new was $700. I got it off Craigslist for $250. Mtbr.com is good review site also. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I definitely don't want to spend a lot on her bike. I assume it will not get as much use as she claims it will.

Thanks. I definitely don't want to spend a lot on her bike. I assume it will not get as much use as she claims it will.

Yep. My wife is same way. I even started out cheap. You can always upgrade parts or buy better bike later on.

Been a while since I took the mountain bike out. Finally got it back up here at school and rode it on some trails over the weekend.

Still working on the road bike. Hope to finish in the next few months (wishful thinking).

Do me a favor and post a pic after it arrives.

Been a while since I took the mountain bike out. Finally got it back up here at school and rode it on some trails over the weekend.

Still working on the road bike. Hope to finish in the next few months (wishful thinking).

What kinda bike you got T?

Do me a favor and post a pic after it arrives.

Sorry it took me so long to post this.

My new fling:

IMG_4735.JPG

I didn't want my Epic or SS getting jealous. The SS needs a new shock. Hopefully get one in the spring.

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4737.JPG

Anybody else got pics of their bikes?

Anybody ever used rollers to train in the winter? Was trying to decide between that and a trainer. I don't want to spend more than $150 on either. Any thoughts?

I need to get back on the bike. I used to Mountain Bike quite a bit and still have my mid-80s Stumpjumper (Specialized).

My current bike is a mountain hybrid - it has MB geometry with RB/TB sized wheels that are a bit thinner than traditional MB. The gearing is more like an MB.

gary-fisher-utopia-2009-mountain-bike.jpg

Also, I have an older (2001) Marin Rift Zone full suspension MB for sale cheap. It's a small frame so it's for shorties only (or kids or the ladies).

It looks like this

marin-rift-zone1.jpg

Re-locating to Austin, Texas so ordered myself a road bike to replace my old Windsor. Single speed but it has a buggie so you can convert it into a fixed gear with just a flip. Also, the yellow is pretty flashy, I like it. Can't wait to get this beauty on the road. Bought for $230 flat. Lookin' like a steall!!!

7640a40d3f560d51a201d654346a54a1.jpg

Nice bike, Kirby.

Hopefully I'll have myself a nice, new Felt F-series by mid-March. Hopefully an F75, but I could settle for an F85. Unless I find some crazy deal on a Cervelo or something....

VN Store

Back