The All Things Cycling Thread

Put in 27 miles last night before I was hit by a car while stopped a stop light. Bike is destroyed... No injuries except some scrapes... My helmet should be on a poster for wearing helmets. Funny thing is the only reason I began wearing one was to set an example for my 11 y/o daughter. So now the search begins for a new inexpensive bike.

is their insurance going to cover the cost of your bike?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What bike did you have?
Cheap bike, GMC Denali (HEAVY and low end parts) I got from walmart when we first moved here from Knoxville. Wanted to see if I would like riding and didn't have a whole lot of $$$$$ to spend so I went cheap. I got my money out of it as I put on nearly 1000 miles on it in just under a year and saved 45 bucks a month since Jan when was able to stop taking BP med. I kinda miss it already as it sits in the garage in a tangled heap.

Welcome to the "getting hit from behind while stopped" club. I was lucky as it only broke a spoke in the rear wheel, although you made it out better body-wise.

Welcome to the "getting hit from behind while stopped" club. I was lucky as it only broke a spoke in the rear wheel, although you made it out better body-wise.

"rectum hell, tore him all to pieces."

jqK8Nl.jpg

Definitely a weird feeling. Was stopped and just remember thinking what the hell is that right before I hit the hood and windshield. Then it was disbelief that this guy just ran me down and when I looked at my helmet was just thankful it wasn't worse.

Definitely a weird feeling. Was stopped and just remember thinking what the hell is that right before I hit the hood and windshield. Then it was disbelief that this guy just ran me down and when I looked at my helmet was just thankful it wasn't worse.

That is crazy.

Check craigslist for bikes. College kids who just got out will sell their bikes for cheap.

Got off the stationary bike and got on the road for the first time in a while. Rode 10.5 miles and avged 15.5 mph. I'm gonna go on a 22+ mile ride Sat morning. I hope to ride it at least 3 times before my sprint tri on the 25th. The bike portion of the race is 14.3 miles.

That sucks man. That's why I have a hard time getting out on the road. Hope you get another bike soon.

I have a paved bike/walk trail that I ride that is 22 miles out and back. I've seen several bikers just about get hit or run off the rd around here.

I have a paved bike/walk trail that I ride that is 22 miles out and back. I've seen several bikers just about get hit or run off the rd around here.

We're lucky enough to have about 40 miles of trails at our disposal. One is 100+ two way. Starting to make plans to do that soon.

Spent the day in the shop today. Put new orange Vittoria Rubino Pro tires on. Also talked to the owner about purchasing a 2012 Felt AR4 next year... skipping the mountain bike and saving my money now. It's gonna be pricey, but I'll have the hottest bike in town. If I play it right, I could potentially unload my current bike for more than I bought it for ($1350 paid, ~$2200 retail, could sell for $1700) and that would leave me a few hundred shy. Piece of cake. Now, will I want to sell my ZC or keep for rainy days?

Anyways, I spend way too much money on bike stuff. I still can't believe I let him talk me into a $70 set of tires (wholesale).

Hope you guys can get out and ride this weekend, I know I'll try my hardest to.

I would love to upgrade my bike. right now i hve a diamondback insight hybrid bike. it does what I need itto do. eventually I want to get a road bike.

I rode the trail this morning. they added about a 2 mile leg that connects to a rec center. Ended up riding just over 26 miles. I'll prob pay for it tomorrow but it was fun.

im trying to find a good trail, here in Asheville, that i dont have to drive 30 minutes to get to. you would think that living in the mountains, they are everywhere but most of the land here is private property, and the closest trail on mtbwnc.com is the one i mentioned.

im trying to find a good trail, here in Asheville, that i dont have to drive 30 minutes to get to. you would think that living in the mountains, they are everywhere but most of the land here is private property, and the closest trail on mtbwnc.com is the one i mentioned.

Damn. I'm within 20-30 minutes of every trail in the area and this place is extremely flat.

Have you tried mtbr.com?

Its a great site for trail and component reviews. Especially nice if your traveling and want to ride some place new.

Number of miles this week? ZERO. It's been storming all freaking week.

I'm going to strip down, straighten and then send an old frame to get painted in the next couple of weeks. It'll be my touring bike.

Also, I've been put in charge of running the shop on Saturday while the owner is doing mechanic work on the Tour of the Mississippi River Valley. He'll be gone all next week, too, but, unfortunately, I have a real job.

Vt it seems your LBS owner is grooming you to accept more and more responsiblity at the LBS. can only open doors for you. how would i LOVE to run a bike shop..

VN Store

Back