The All Things Cycling Thread

If you got 70% of the way, why did you turn around to ride even further back? Riding at a feverish pace was the downfall. I always warm up for the first 5 minutes of a ride, then speed up a lot.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

i was already lagging from a fairly long ride the night before and i had to be back to go trail hiking, but to be honest, it was mostly just discouragement. i have never ridden in the morning, and i wasnt prepared for it. you are def correct about the pace.

went over the handlebars this evening, riding a trail. nothing too gnarly, but my back has some pretty nice bruises. the kid riding with me, however, went end over, at full speed on a downhill. he wasnt hurt, luckily, so i got to laugh at him. it was awesome. guess he wanted to steal my thunder.

Wouter Weylandt of Team Leopard Trek died today during a descent crash at the Giro d Italia. I had the pleasure of meeting him two years ago at a criterium in Chicago. Incredible man. It's a sad day for the sport and really puts life into perspective. He died doing what he loved.

sad to hear that man.:no:

Yeah... I'm not watching the video.

I got about 8 miles in tonight with a couple of friends. Really slow pace. Like <10mph average slow. Tomorrow I get a half day and it's supposed to be 90* and sunny. I'll get a lot of miles in plus a night ride with the LBS owner again.

Last edited:
id really like to try a night trail ride. have did a couple night rides on the road and its fun. will be the way to go, as summer progresses.

went over the handlebars this evening, riding a trail. nothing too gnarly, but my back has some pretty nice bruises. the kid riding with me, however, went end over, at full speed on a downhill. he wasnt hurt, luckily, so i got to laugh at him. it was awesome. guess he wanted to steal my thunder.

nice. It ain't a ride till somebody bleeds.

25 miles so far, 15-ish left to go. Stopped for beer. I've had a great ride so far. It's perfect outside.

Edit: done. 40 miles and two stops for beer later, I am going to sleep. I should be in shape by no time. I got dropped three times but hammered my way back. So I'm over 100 miles already this week. 30 Friday, 25 Sunday, 10-ish Monday, and 40 tonight.

Last edited:
got in a pretty good ride as well yesterday. biked the steepest of my monster hills, fairly easily, without stop. dont know the grade, but its .6 mile, steep, with no flats whatsoever. maybe childs play to you road bikers, i dunno, but on my tank of a mountain bike, it takes some grit.

got in a pretty good ride as well yesterday. biked the steepest of my monster hills, fairly easily, without stop. dont know the grade, but its .6 mile, steep, with no flats whatsoever. maybe childs play to you road bikers, i dunno, but on my tank of a mountain bike, it takes some grit.

I prefer going down hills. I hit 40mph last night downhill. Then we climbed that hill on the way home after the last beer. Ouch. Steady and slow is how I get up hills. My legs are all mushy today. I love that feeling.

any you guys get your tires dirty yesterday? i got a quick ride in to the ABC store. maybe 10 miles with 1 decent hill

any you guys get your tires dirty yesterday? i got a quick ride in to the ABC store. maybe 10 miles with 1 decent hill

Mine are filthy, but not from yesterday. Had to close so I didn't get any saddle time in. Hoping to put in 40+ tonight if the weather cooperates. I'll hit 150 for the week if that's the case. Last night I really wished I had a trainer.

I'm starting to hit my fitness stride. I've been pulling off hills that I would have just walked up last year. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I get to the top. If I can drop 20-30 lbs, then I'll be flying up hills.

It's perfect outside for a ride and a beer. Hope everyone else was able to ride today.

MUKedl.jpg

Mine are filthy, but not from yesterday. Had to close so I didn't get any saddle time in. Hoping to put in 40+ tonight if the weather cooperates. I'll hit 150 for the week if that's the case. Last night I really wished I had a trainer.

I'm starting to hit my fitness stride. I've been pulling off hills that I would have just walked up last year. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I get to the top. If I can drop 20-30 lbs, then I'll be flying up hills.

good stuf Vt. sounds like and yer Felt are putting it together. if that was you in the one pic you posted, i dont really see you needing to lose 30 pounds.

tri, i think they have one of those yoga biking clubs here in Asheville. maybe time to expand my horizons a little..

good stuf Vt. sounds like and yer Felt are putting it together. if that was you in the one pic you posted, i dont really see you needing to lose 30 pounds.

Which picture? I weigh 245 right now.

How's this for a good time?

tsCgql.jpg

It's called a conference bike and a guy brought it into the shop today to have a bottom bracket replaced. It seats 8 and they use it to go bar hopping.

Last edited:

The Felt and are meshing together quite well. I effed up the clear coat on the seat post, though. I didn't tighten down the seat clamp tight enough and it slowly slid down on Tuesday night. Didn't realize it until I was dropped by the group. Looked down and saw that my knees were nearly hitting my chest. Disappointing to say the least. Oh well, **** happens. Gonna clean and lube the beast tomorrow night.

If I get 10 miles in after work tomorrow, then I believe I will eclipse 150 for the week. If it is decent on Sunday, then I may push for a century. Assuming I'm not reeling from a hangover.

Last edited:
Which picture? I weigh 245 right now.

How's this for a good time?

tsCgql.jpg

It's called a conference bike and a guy brought it into the shop today to have a bottom bracket replaced. It seats 8 and they use it to go bar hopping.

i was referring to one when you were building the Felt. there was a dude in one of the pictures.

VN Store

Back