The Alabama Postgame Report

Martin will get a 3rd year and deserves it, but next year barring horrible circumstances he has to get into the NCAAT.

Maybe this team finally gets angry enough about losing winnable games and responds with a fantastic performance to knock off UK at Rupp. If that doesn't happen, though, our NCAA tournament chances are just about zero.

If that doesn't happen they probably don't have a very good chance of making the NIT. They would be 8-7 and will struggle to stay above 500. The SEC tournament will then be the last nail in the coffin, knocking them below 500. Pitiful, just pitiful. :mf_surrender::yikes::twocents:

As always, I will wait till the end of the season to make a judgment. They shocked everyone last year. They might be able to do it again, just because the SEC sucks so bad.

As long as he finished over .500 this year, he deserves a third year.

I wouldn't say he deserves anything unless his coaching improves. Just as a player learns from his mistakes and becomes a better player, a coach can learn from his mistakes and become a better coach. If he does a better job, he deserves to be retained. If not, then...

1. Turnovers and free throws cost UT this game. If UT goes 12-16 from the line, they win.

2. I want a proper explanation why Jarnell didn't play for the last seven minutes in the second half. Because honestly, I can't find one.

3. Armani Moore needs to play. He brings energy on offense and attacks the basket. His D is suspect, but you saw him make two big hustle plays at the end.

4. Bernard King Player of the Game: Jordan McRae was the only player to score in double digits, and had the unfair task having to play point guard and did admirably till the last three minutes, where the coaching failed him in not preparing for it.

5. If Tennessee wants to make the tourney, Cuonzo better figure out what the hell to do on about the point guard position because it's costing them, just like last year.

6. Again, those three turnovers are on Martin. You can't just say "go dribble" and expect good results, especially with this team.

7. Skylar McBee should not play. Anymore. Any more playing time for him is a mark against Cuonzo, especially with better players in Moore, Reese, and Lopez. How the hell does McBee get 17 minutes while Lopez sits on the bench? I don't care about practice, let's go off 50 games worth of evidence here.

8. The defense was much better today actually. Alabama only shot 42.5% from the field, and only shot 19 free throws. But I wish UT was more aggressive on defense to get turnovers. Look at that run Bama had.

9. I don't know why Martin doesn't realize when he has an advantage in the post, but Bama couldn't stop Stokes or Hall inside. Stokes' presence alone opens up the floor and driving lanes. I know he didn't shoot the ball well, but Bama was so worried about him UT got open looks.

10. This isn't a tourney team. They don't do the little things well enough (like they did last year) to win close games. They had a grand opportunity for them, and they let it go because of two things that continues to haunt them: Free Throws and Turnovers. That's inexcusable. It's been an issue since November 9th. We are two months in the season and they haven't been corrected. That's on Cuonzo. It's weak. They are going to start off the SEC year 0-3, and if they don't get together won't win 10 games in the SEC.

Tennessee will be lucky to go .500 in conference this year!!!

I dislocated a finger in a recreational flag football game and followed the game from my phone in the ER. I probably had a superior experience to actually watching it.

I know this is a change of pace, but how about Armani Moore today?

He had a pretty good game. Offensively, at least. Can he actually shoot? Made a three and missed one, but both times the stroke looked pretty good (I'm no scout). Also had a nice baseline drive, spin move and finish in the second half.

He's looked pretty terrible most of the year (maybe not terrible, just not ready); is this something we should expect to continue, or is it just a fluke performance? If he can give us solid minutes, that'd be huge.

Free throws, free throws, free throws. I get sick of saying it. 50% FT shooting won't get it done for this team. Every game we play will likely be close (within 10 points), and we will lose more than we win shooting 50% from the line.

A 5:11 Asst:TO ratio from your guards is abysmal.

There was a stretch in the first half (about the 14:00-8:00 point of the half) where we looked like a competent offensive team. It may have been one of the better stretches of the season, esp on the road. It was followed by a six minute stretch where we didn't make a FG. We can't continue that, but I know we will.

Armani Moore isn't a PG. Not even close. He played pretty well sans his pitiful defense, but he isn't a PG. Quite frankly, we don't have a PG on the roster outside of Lopez, who is obviously short on overall talent.

Martin is going to get a pass this year without Maymon, but next season and the 2014 recruiting class better be impressive for him to be successful here long-term.

Free throws, free throws, free throws. I get sick of saying it. 50% FT shooting won't get it done for this team. Every game we play will likely be close (within 10 points), and we will lose more than we win shooting 50% from the line.

There was a stretch in the first half (about the 14:00-8:00 point of the half) where we looked like a competent offensive team. It may have been one of the better stretches of the season, esp on the road. It was followed by a six minute stretch where we didn't make a FG. We can't continue that, but I know we will.

Armani Moore isn't a PG. Not even close. He played pretty well sans his pitiful defense, but he isn't a PG. Quite frankly, we don't have a PG on the roster outside of Lopez, who is obviously short on overall talent.

Martin is going to get a pass this year without Maymon, but next season and the 2014 recruiting class better be impressive for him to be successful here long-term.

Piss poor ball handling that led to turnovers and horrible FT shooting doomed us.

We outrebounded Bama by 15 and outshot them. You should win most games when you do that. We don't have guards that can dribble through pressure. Simple as that. Look for teams to continue to pressure us.

Piss poor ball handling that led to turnovers and horrible FT shooting doomed us.

We outrebounded Bama by 15 and outshot them. You should win most games when you do that. We don't have guards that can dribble through pressure. Simple as that. Look for teams to continue to pressure us.

The final three minutes will be the blueprint for disrupting us for opposing teams from here on out.

However, it's ridiculous we can't do the little things.

Kenny Hall getting called for double dribble is this team in a nut shell. I bet the ref had to think how to correctly make the call it's been so long since it's happened.

Kenny Hall getting called for double dribble is this team in a nut shell. I bet the ref had to think how to correctly make the call it's been so long since it's happened.

True. Unfortunate call, but correct call. Bottom line is Hall has no business putting the ball on the floor to begin with.

We will be looking for a new coach at the end of next season. Even with maymon back, i dont see this team getting that much better.

The final three minutes will be the blueprint for disrupting us for opposing teams from here on out.
Really thought it was the first 5 minutes of the second half that did us in.
Just terrible ball handling and passing in that stretch.
We just don't have good ball handlers.

Really thought it was the first 5 minutes of the second half that did us in.
Just terrible ball handling and passing in that stretch.
We just don't have good ball handlers.

I was referring to the press put on us in the final three minutes, but you're correct, we have no ball-handlers.

What the hell do you expect from a HC who has four years of head coaching experience???

I mean really.....The only great hire UT has made in the last cpl years is their freaking baseball coach!

In what world does McBrick play point????

Tennessee sucks in basketball and freaking football!!!!!

At least Serrano is going to right the ship!!!!

Everyone should stop buying football and bball tix and buy baseball tix!!!

What the hell do you expect from a HC who has four years of head coaching experience???

I mean really.....The only great hire UT has made in the last cpl years is their freaking baseball coach!

In what world does McBrick play point????

Tennessee sucks in basketball and freaking football!!!!!

At least Serrano is going to right the ship!!!!

Everyone should stop buying football and bball tix and buy baseball tix!!!
Watch the game?
McBee didn't play point.

At his salary, he does not get a pass. But his buyout ensures he will be here 1-2 more years. He is in over his head just as Dooley was.

Reactions: 1 person
Clearly, Cuonzo simply does not have a clue on how to fix what ails this team. Like Derek Dooley, I think he needed at least a few years more seasoning in the lower leagues before jumping head-first into the SEC.

Pretty good indication that something is fixed.
65 points on the road.
Just don't have the ball handlers to finish.
Too many TOs.

VN Store

Back