The 2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi

There's nothing more breathtaking than the jumps in figure skating. There's nothing more ridiculous than the costumes and flourishes in figure skating.

The Russian chick was hot.......IMO

Kind of boring to watch, but moguls gives me an ACL injury just watching.

And of your ACL doesn't tear, your neck breaks on the trick at the bottom. The whole Winter Olympics are one big circus stunt.

I think most of us agree that the Summer Olympics are more interesting overall than the Winter Olympics; however, I consider the athletes in the Winter Olympics much more hardcore. Almost every sport, there's a high chance you can get seriously injured. Even some skating events. You can't say the same for the Summer Olympics. Honestly, the only summer sport I can think of is weightlifting, although there are probably a few more.

Whitewater kayaking, boxing, wrestling, judo and you could put your eye out in table tennis.

Whitewater kayaking, boxing, wrestling, judo and you could put your eye out in table tennis.

I thought about mentioning boxing, but those guys have so much protection on, I don't consider it that incredibly dangerous. Judo and wrestling are certainly options though. Whitewater, I'll grant that, but I doubt the Olympic course is anywhere near as risky as Olympic skiing, the luge, snowboarding, etc.

And why the hell is table tennis an Olympic sport? Let me get this straight: they decide to cancel wrestling (if I'm not mistaken) and leave table tennis and badminton? Insane! And a real insult to the Olympic tradition.

And why the hell is table tennis an Olympic sport? Let me get this straight: they decide to cancel wrestling (if I'm not mistaken) and leave table tennis and badminton? Insane! And a real insult to the Olympic tradition.

Have they brought back Baseball and Women's Softball yet?

I think most of us agree that the Summer Olympics are more interesting overall than the Winter Olympics; however, I consider the athletes in the Winter Olympics much more hardcore. Almost every sport, there's a high chance you can get seriously injured. Even some skating events. You can't say the same for the Summer Olympics. Honestly, the only summer sport I can think of is weightlifting, although there are probably a few more.

I've always much preferred the winter Olympics. The summer Olympics are always much more buried in politics, drama, and prima donnas; the much smaller scale of the winter Olympics has always made it feel like far more of a sports-first event.

Reactions: 2 people

They should add a winter sport. You know those commercials where the guys with ice pics go down an icy cravat and fetch the beer out of the icy walls before coming up through the cooler in the floor to serve to the members of the party? Do that, and time them. Now we're talking about a sport..no stupid costumes or flailing of the arms, just survival....for beer.

Reactions: 1 person
I've always much preferred the winter Olympics. The summer Olympics are always much more buried in politics, drama, and prima donnas; the much smaller scale of the winter Olympics has always made it feel like far more of a sports-first event.

Good point. However, Sochi might outstage any Summer game.

I read an article a couple years which claimed that whatever international federation is in charge of wrestling is (especially) corrupt and/or backwards, and that the IOC has been begging them for many years to clean up/modernize/whatever, and that stripping wrestling of its automatic and eternal Olympic status was more of a last desperate attempt to get them in line than anything else. I don't remember the details, obviously, but the gist was that they'll get right back in if they fix whatever it is that the IOC thinks is messed up.

I read an article a couple years which claimed that whatever international federation is in charge of wrestling is (especially) corrupt and/or backwards, and that the IOC has been begging them for many years to clean up/modernize/whatever, and that stripping wrestling of its automatic and eternal Olympic status was more of a last desperate attempt to get them in line than anything else. I don't remember the details, obviously, but the gist was that they'll get right back in if they fix whatever it is that the IOC thinks is messed up.

That makes a little more sense, but I scoff at the IOC complaining about corruption. Heck, the only reason Sochi got these games is because of the IOC's corruption:

Alleged Heroin Kingpin Helped Russia Win Olympics for Sochi - ABC News

Good point. However, Sochi might outstage any Summer game.

Yeah, this whole thing is clearly just a giant money-skimming scheme to further enrich a handful of Putin's favorite plutocrats. I thought they'd supposedly cleaned up the so-called "Olympic movement" some after that Spanish fascist bastard died, but apparently not. Can't wait for the World Cup to go right back to Russia in four more years; it's probably going to be just as bad.

They should add a winter sport. You know those commercials where the guys with ice pics go down an icy cravat and fetch the beer out of the icy walls before coming up through the cooler in the floor to serve to the members of the party? Do that, and time them. Now we're talking about a sport..no stupid costumes or flailing of the arms, just survival....for beer.

Except for the fact that in the commercials they are doing it for Coors Light, which really isn't beer.

Reactions: 1 person
Aside from the major gaffe with the Olympic rings, this is quite stunning visually.

Was the fall of the Soviet Union not something worth mentioning? Stalins reign seemed pretty cheery...

Most of the history seemed way more pleasant that I ever read and learned about.

They didn't really have any choice but to gloss over everything after the 19th century in the most abstract, stylized way possible. I don't see how you dramatize 70 years of prison camps, 20 million people dying in WW2, and the Russian Mafia with modern dance.

VN Store

Back