The #1 Key to Jones' success at UT

The only way Jones is going to win championships at UT is through recruiting, but his recruiting has the Vols poised for middle of the pack in the SEC east:cray:

why would you pick on the young men that have decided to give there all for UT ?

there are a lot of this years class that will go on to be good to great

or so I think :)

and yes,we won't know how good this class will be till 2 or 3 years down the road

Many of the one liners CBJ has used I've heard else where. I'm fine with almost all of them. The "behind the chains" I can do without. To me it's like we aren't flexable enough to adjust our play calls to convert a 2nd and 10 situation.

In CBJ's 1st year he wore out "consistent", he should have harped on that for 120.
The reason he says that is this type of offense (and every other) type of offense isn't designed to work a 2 and 10 that's typically when you see a run or a screen... And your odds of being successful gaining atleast 4yards isn't very likely... 1st down is a big deal in dink and dunk offenses...

The reason he says that is this type of offense (and every other) type of offense isn't designed to work a 2 and 10 that's typically when you see a run or a screen... And your odds of being successful gaining atleast 4yards isn't very likely... 1st down is a big deal in dink and dunk offenses...

If plan "A" is to get stuffed for a loss on 1st down we need a new plan. I kid. I hope.

It's like on 3rd down the special teams' guy holds up the "PUNT" sign. I know.

You're right, it applies to our offense(and the rest of them).

I've heard our players use so many of the nuggets of wisdom that CBJ uses, I just don't want them to get a complex over being "behind the chains", it's something that happens in football and it shouldn't be used as a reason for not running up the score. I'm past ready for us to start running up the score just to yank their chain. I say run wide open with the 3rd stringers on offense, it's their job to stop us not our job to feel sorry for them. Keep the defense in and rip their hearts out.

"If you want blood, you've got it!"

Release the Beast!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If plan "A" is to get stuffed for a loss on 1st down we need a new plan. I kid. I hope.

It's like on 3rd down the special team's guy holds up the "PUNT" sign. I know.

You're right, it applies to our offense(and the rest of them).

I've heard our players use so many of the nuggets of wisdom that CBJ uses, I just don't want them to get a complex over being "behind the chains", it's something that happens in football and it shouldn't be used as a reason for not running up the score. I'm past ready for us to start running up the score just to yank their chain. I say run wide open with the 3rd stringers on offense, it's their job to stop us not our job to feel sorry for them. Keep the defense in and rip their hearts out.

"If you want blood, you've got it!"

Release the Beast!
There is a now retired coach from De La Salle (you may of heard of him :) ) he said l, "that the third stringers earned a right in practice and on our scout team to run our offense effectively like it is supposed to be run." He was pretty successful.

However, I don't mind it if we are trying to make a statement (Florida) or (Alabama) wouldn't happen but still.

Football is a game of numbers and ninety percent of the time the calls are being made from hours of pouring over stats on the potential they run cover 4 on 2 and 10 or whatever the case maybe... But I think where most coaches go wrong (where debord went wrong) is getting to sucked into a stats battle in their head instead of calling what they see happening from the opponents defense...

Now there is zero way that I know that's 100% true or anyone else that tries to tell you (past coaches, media, anyone) that they know why the offense looked sluggish at times... Just remember it probably isn't as simple as you think and probably not as sophisticated as you think. Got to love football!

Change the rule on incomplete passes. Instead of stopping the clock till the next play start the clock upon spotting of the ball, shorten the game speed up the tempo without speeding up your offense. But a solidily built O Line is you're very first step.

The clock favors the team who wins the line of scrimmage battle and works against the team that loses it.

There is a now retired coach from De La Salle (you may of heard of him :) ) he said l, "that the third stringers earned a right in practice and on our scout team to run our offense effectively like it is supposed to be run." He was pretty successful.

However, I don't mind it if we are trying to make a statement (Florida) or (Alabama) wouldn't happen but still.

Football is a game of numbers and ninety percent of the time the calls are being made from hours of pouring over stats on the potential they run cover 4 on 2 and 10 or whatever the case maybe... But I think where most coaches go wrong (where debord went wrong) is getting to sucked into a stats battle in their head instead of calling what they see happening from the opponents defense...

Now there is zero way that I know that's 100% true or anyone else that tries to tell you (past coaches, media, anyone) that they know why the offense looked sluggish at times... Just remember it probably isn't as simple as you think and probably not as sophisticated as you think. Got to love football!

I'm confident we could have punched in another score against the gators.

I'd have to go to the film room to answer why we looked sluggish at times. "Behind the chains", make our offense sound fragile, that is not a good idea when it comes to football.

Why is everyone so obsessed with making games shorter? I'd like to see more plays, not less. Clock stops = more plays.

i don't care how many plays we run, in theory. obviously more is better. it still starts with being more efficient on 1st down. and until this offense does that more consistently, it will continue to put our defense in positions where they're on the field too much.

so just speaking on offense...reduce the freakin turnovers...waaaaay too many last year, and be better on 1st down. the better you are on 1st down, the easier it is to slow down, speed up or whatever you want to do, given the situation we're in.

and we weren't a great 1st down team either of the last two years. in fact, i still think it's amazing what our offense was able to do in 2015 on 3rd down % given the sheer # of 3rd down's we had to convert that year. that got a little better in 2016, but how many times did we see 2nd and 7 or longer?

that has to change if we're going to play complimentary football as our coach loves to talk about. and while i think the defense will be better this year (can't be worse can they?), we're still not deep enough in the front 7 to be on the field as much as we were last year.

and it'd be nice to get back to playing special teams like we did in 2015, we weren't bad last year, but in 2015, it was a weapon.

i don't care how many plays we run, in theory. obviously more is better. it still starts with being more efficient on 1st down. and until this offense does that more consistently, it will continue to put our defense in positions where they're on the field too much.

so just speaking on offense...reduce the freakin turnovers...waaaaay too many last year, and be better on 1st down. the better you are on 1st down, the easier it is to slow down, speed up or whatever you want to do, given the situation we're in.

and we weren't a great 1st down team either of the last two years. in fact, i still think it's amazing what our offense was able to do in 2015 on 3rd down % given the sheer # of 3rd down's we had to convert that year. that got a little better in 2016, but how many times did we see 2nd and 7 or longer?

that has to change if we're going to play complimentary football as our coach loves to talk about. and while i think the defense will be better this year (can't be worse can they?), we're still not deep enough in the front 7 to be on the field as much as we were last year.

and it'd be nice to get back to playing special teams like we did in 2015, we weren't bad last year, but in 2015, it was a weapon.
I think as far as attrition goes what people haven't talked about is keeping the games close when we had "cupcake" team. Whenever you have an easier opponent it is usually schedule to be a semi by week, so score a lot of points and get your starters off the field... Which added to the problem.

I think as far as attrition goes what people haven't talked about is keeping the games close when we had "cupcake" team. Whenever you have an easier opponent it is usually schedule to be a semi by week, so score a lot of points and get your starters off the field... Which added to the problem.

well the Ohio game in particular direclty led to some serious attrition, so yes, i agree.

Why is everyone so obsessed with making games shorter? I'd like to see more plays, not less. Clock stops = more plays.

It's just the TV people. By shortening the game it allows more time for commercials in the same time slot.

Let's shorten a round of golf to 16 hole while we're at it. It stands to reason it will take less time and lower my score. Maybe I can break 100 and have more time to spend at the 19th I mean the 17th hole. Just don't tell Mrs. Iam4utalways.

Let's change the rule at pay lakes to you hafta leave 30 minutes before sunset. I just got home an hour earlier.

He has an offensive line

Its just not been coached well

I actually agree with TAF. Butch has NOT had an OLINE since he's been here. It's been thin, hobbled together, out of position , and young. This is the first year he has a real O line and it will make or break him.

I actually agree with TAF. Butch has NOT had an OLINE since he's been here. It's been thin, hobbled together, out of position , and young. This is the first year he has a real O line and it will make or break him.

agreed. this o line should be the strength of this year's offense.

Having a late lead and rushing to the line then snapping the ball with 15 to 20 seconds on the clock only to run straight into the line about drove me off a cliff. :bad:

Yep. We saw it happen to the Falcons in the Super Bowl as well. No lead is safe for a team that can't eat clock. Championship teams have to be effective at multiple tempos, fast and slow.

I am reminded as well of so many of those fast breaking NBA teams that would lead the league in wins, then fold in the first round of the playoffs when forced to execute a half-court offense and guard a more physical opponent.

But I do have some hope that Scott might bring the right mentality to our offense, as a guy who played OL.

I think we all want to see a much more violent and aggressive offensive line no matter what style we are playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If your hurry up offense is mostly successful, would it not have the same impact on the opposition's defense?

You sir, get the cookie! Think of it like this. First, lets take out the unquantifiable factors like rhythm and momentum. With that set aside, HUNH favors the stronger and deeper team (of which Tennessee is not in many cases). For simplicity sake, take the Alabama game. Which does Tennessee have a better chance of winning? A game where each team has 1 possession or a game where each team has 20+? The more chances superior athletes are given to win, the more likely their chances of winning become. Simple as that...

PS...if you start throwing in some late quarter conservative play calling on offense that leads to 3 and outs, well then you're shooting yourself in the foot because you may have the superior talent (i.e. vs Vanderbilt) but you aren't playing to win!

Key this year may be to come up with a new excuse if injuries don't befall the team.

That was too easy an excuse last year.

Key this year may be to come up with a new excuse if injuries don't befall the team.

That was too easy an excuse last year.

That's what this whole thread is about. Reasons for our success this year. Great QB play will do it. Having a shutdown defense would do it. Win the turnover battle might be enough. Improve on penalties, dropped passes and play calling. Any one of these could be the difference in another 9-4 and 16-1(count the O&W game as a win and a loss).

Release the Beast!

Butch actually runs a fake hurry up a lot of the time. Quick to the line without a huddle, but then every position group looks to the sideline to get the call.

VN Store

Back