Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

There was no guarantee that Philips would improve next year if his heart wasn't in it.

If he has been training for the past month for NBA, I would think that this would prepare him adequately to be able to handle the rigors of NBA rookie year. Could also improve his draft stock.

You’ve gotta let it go. If Beard pulls Perry, it’s not some giant coup. Pretty clear with so many major backers pulling out of the Perry sweepstakes that something is wrong there.

Let what go?

I think it’s funny how Perry seems like this really rounded young fella (helping out communities, his faith, etc) then goes and plays for Beard, the drunk

That’s my post, so what do I need to let go? I’ll wait

I want Julian to skyrocket up the draft boards and someone take a chance on him in the lottery picks.

Then I want him to become an elite NBA talent. It's honestly the best outcome for the Vols. Him in interview after interview early in his career talking about Barnes and UT and the amazing fanbase and how he was able to develop his game to turn him into an All-Star in the NBA.

That's what we should all want. As stated already he was supposed to be a 1 & done when we got him, so the best thing is he goes high in the draft and doesn't portal somewhere else.

Just catching up in this thread, and my thoughts have already been stated by others, but as has been said, one year ago, no one expected Phillips to be here in 23-24, so him leaving (from a macro view) isn't something we should be shocked about. The rub lies in the idea that he didn't produce like most hoped he would, he wasn't a high-impact player on the offensive end, and nothing he showed on the floor suggests that the NBA is a good "next step". However, the NBA van develop him full-time without any other distraction (school, time limits, etc), and if he has the ability and the work ethic, the NBA will coax it out of him. We are just fans disappointed in the level of play we got out of him for one year, and are frustrated at the process that allows him to be satisfied with leaving and being a 2nd round pick.

Let what go?

I think it’s funny how Perry seems like this really rounded young fella (helping out communities, his faith, etc) then goes and plays for Beard, the drunk

“If Beard pulls Perry, I swear lol”

Just using context clues from how much you’ve been upset with Rick Barnes for not pursuing Perry more, nothing about that post reads like you saying it would be ironic if “the drunk” got Perry.

If that’s truly what you meant, then fair enough. No sweat. But, it’s a pretty reasonable assumption for anyone who has read your posts lately to read a brief comment like that and think you’re taking a shot at the staff for letting Beard come in late and grab him. That’s all.

On a similar note…I’m fine with never landing another Top 25 guy, not saying I would turn away a Top 5 type player here and there, but it feels like with our program there’s much more value in guys 25+ ranked.

I want to say we haven't had the greatest success over the past several years with these guys but can't argue with the season KC gave us. Always the chance the next guy contributes at that level.

Let what go?

He’s a woman beater whom can’t control his emotions.

If he’s wanting to play for a person like that, then I’d be skeptical of taking him considering other programs have backed off too.

You’ve gotta let it go. If Beard pulls Perry, it’s not some giant coup. Pretty clear with so many major backers pulling out of the Perry sweepstakes that something is wrong there.
As much as I wanted a really good PG and considered Perry to be one, I have to agree with you. Something is starting to smell here and I showered last night. I'm a big believer in "culture" and "fit". Might be best if Barnes pulls away from the table on this one. Sorry Trippie.

Idk that his circle is looking for someone ok with abusing woman, I think they are just searching high and low for HM programs willing to meet their demands/requests. The kid said the most important thing to him was making the tournament in his final year and finally going dancing, yet Florida & Ole Miss along with Louisville potentially seem to be the hot names right now, while Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama and Kansas State have all backed off…doesn’t really line up. Like I said before, and this isn’t based on any intel, I just wonder if at some point it could circle back around to us. Arkansas and Bama are seemingly off the table, maybe another winner gets involved or maybe he’s fine going to a school that is likely NIT bound at best, but I do wonder if once the dust starts to settle and he weighs his options if he leans back on wanting to make the dance as what is most important.

On a similar note…I’m fine with never landing another Top 25 guy, not saying I would turn away a Top 5 type player here and there, but it feels like with our program there’s much more value in guys 25+ ranked.
Now this I agree with. With those top 25 guys, they're essentially a one year rental. They go through an adjustment period then go into the draft. Their priorities aren't usually in line with the coach and fan base either. Leave those kids for the UK, UNC and Dukes. Let's focus on 25-100/150 and watch them grow over the next 3-4 years.

Idk that his circle is looking for someone ok with abusing woman, I think they are just searching high and low for HM programs willing to meet their demands/requests. The kid said the most important thing to him was making the tournament in his final year and finally going dancing, yet Florida & Ole Miss along with Louisville potentially seem to be the hot names right now, while Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama and Kansas State have all backed off…doesn’t really line up. Like I said before, and this isn’t based on any intel, I just wonder if at some point it could circle back around to us. Arkansas and Bama are seemingly off the table, maybe another winner gets involved or maybe he’s fine going to a school that is likely NIT bound at best, but I do wonder if once the dust starts to settle and he weighs his options if he leans back on wanting to make the dance as what is most important.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall and see if it's what he wants or what those in his inner circle are pushing for? If it's the latter, I kinda feel sorry for the kid. Being shopped like a piece of meat with no real concern about his welfare. Just getting what they can out of him while they can.

UConn is a perfect example. 0 McDonald's All-American 5 stars. A roster of sophomore and junior 4 stars with a couple of transfers.

Reactions: tbones0711

This would definitely be nice. I would love to have him fall in our laps, but I also wouldn’t be opposed to taking Demary either.

So based on the RSCI top 100 we've had these top 25 guys in the Barnes Era.

Robert Hubbs #22, inherited played 2 years under Barnes (13.7 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in final season)
Josiah-Jordan James #20, played 4 years under Barnes (9.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.2 spg for career)
Jaden Springer #13, one & done drafted 28th overall (12.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.2 spg)
Keon Johnson #23, one & done drafted 21st overall (11.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg)
Kennedy Chandler #6, one & done drafted 38th overall (13.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.7 apg, 2.2 spg)
Brandon Huntley-Hatfield #23, transferred out (3.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg)
Julian Phillips #14, TBD (8.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.4 apg)

So at this point we've really only had 3 guards that all contributed in their one season here. JJJ overall I'd say was a bit of a disappointment in his career while here.

Robert Hubbs #22, inherited played 2 years under Barnes (13.7 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in final season)
Josiah-Jordan James #20, played 4 years under Barnes (9.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.2 spg for career)
Jaden Springer #13, one & done drafted 28th overall (12.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.2 spg)
Keon Johnson #23, one & done drafted 21st overall (11.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg)
Kennedy Chandler #6, one & done drafted 38th overall (13.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 4.7 apg, 2.2 spg)

So at this point we've really only had 3 guards that all contributed in their one season here. JJJ overall I'd say was a bit of a disappointment in his career while here.

Wow. 9 PPG for JJJ’s career. I’m not sure why I’m so shocked, but that really puts it all into perspective.

Given what I’ve heard, he will not circle back to us.

I had totally forgotten about Hubbs until I saw your post. Wow.

VN Store

Back