Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

We'll see. How long is Glover going to wait? I just find it hard to believe there isn't a realistic option between Love and Glover.

Those number in his last 10 are impressive, but the competition is pitiful. I just question the way that translates and don't necessarily agree that guards translate better than bigs. Why did he only play 7 minutes and score 0 points in the SoCon tourney loss to Chattanooga?
SOCON is definitely a bit better than other LM conferences, they typically get that 12-13 seed range, he went off on Furman (who beat Virginia in NCAAT) in both games this year. I’m not sure why he didn’t play much in that game, didn’t watch it, I’m just running through stats and some highlights. I don’t think he’s a can’t miss sure fire type, but when you look at others also pursuing him and what he’s done against the best teams he’s played it’s hard to think he couldn’t be a help.

Let me ask this.
Knowing what we know about Key, would you rather have gotten Key last cycle or Glover?
If I have to choose, and I have to choose between those two, I'd have taken Glover simply because I never believed in Key...really as a player, and said as much...but specifically as an option at PG. So I'd have wanted Glover simply because he IS a PG and that is what we needed. I'd choose Glover over another season of Key, right now, even if I had no knowledge of how Key would translate to Tennessee.

Tre Mann and who else? Scottie Lewis is an off-guard and Tyree Appleby isn't an NBA player. He was playing behind some more talented players, sure. I just wasn't impressed with him as a player. Just hard to believe there isn't a happy medium between Love and Glover.

Year 1 he sat behind Scottie Lewis, Tre Mann, and Andrew Nembhard.
Year 2 he sat behind Scottie Lewis, Tre Mann, Appleby, and Locke. (also the shorter season because of COVID)

I said he was behind other guards, and all those players were guards.

Year 1 he sat behind Scottie Lewis, Tre Mann, and Andrew Nembhard.
Year 2 he sat behind Scottie Lewis, Tre Mann, Appleby, and Locke. (also the shorter season because of COVID)

I said he was behind other guards, and all those players were guards.
I guess it's a matter of semantics. I can't really say he was behind Lewis because they play two different positions.

That's like saying James Pearce didn't play much last year as a freshman DE on the football team because he was behind other defensive linemen like Omari Thomas and Elijah Simmons. They're both DLinemen, but they play different positions.

Glover is a PG and Lewis was a SG/SF at Florida. I'll give you Nembhard, who was a PG, and we've agreed on Mann.

In any case, I don't have high hopes for Glover and would prefer we go another direction. I'm fine being alone on that island if it ends up being the case that I'm in the minority.

From the updated list my top 5 "takes" would be:

1. Caleb Love
2. Dayvion McKnight
3. Graham Ike
4. Ques Glover
5. TJ Bamba

I know we need a PG, but I feel like if you've missed on Love/McKnight Ike is a bigger impact player next season and you make do with developing Freddie, Mashack, and whoever else is here in the guards to be better ball handlers. Plus end of the year ZZ should be back.

Now a few PGs I'm still hopeful we reach out to that I'd probably take over Ike/Glover.

Adrian "Ace" Baldwin Jr. (Jr, VCU) - 6'0" 190lbs
(past season) 12.7 ppg, 5.8 apg, 2.9 rpg, 2.2 spg, 42.1% FG, 46.8% 2PT, 34.2% 3PT

Walter Clayton Jr (So. Iona) - 6'2" 195lbs
(past season) 16.8 ppg, 3.2 apg, 4.3 rpg, 1.8 spg, 45.5% FG, 47.2% 2PT, 43.1% 3PT

Caleb Mills (Sr, FSU) - 6'3" 180lbs
(past season) 13.0 ppg, 3.4 apg, 3.0 rpg, 1.3 spg, 41% FG, 46.1% 2PT, 29.4% 3PT

I really like Jalen Cook from Tulane, but seems like he's going to LSU.

I guess it's a matter of semantics. I can't really say he was behind Lewis because they play two different positions.

That's like saying James Pearce didn't play much last year as a freshman DE on the football team because he was behind other defensive linemen like Omari Thomas and Elijah Simmons. They're both DLinemen, but they play different positions.

Glover is a PG and Lewis was a SG/SF at Florida. I'll give you Nembhard, who was a PG, and we've agreed on Mann.

In any case, I don't have high hopes for Glover and would prefer we go another direction. I'm fine being alone on that island if it ends up being the case that I'm in the minority.

Maybe...just pointing out that I didn't say he sat behind 3 PGs, I just said he sat behind 3 guards.

We're both agreeing though that he's not the preferred take so not alone on that island. I like him as a fallback better than Key, but I also now have a season of Key's inconsistent play while here to make that claim.

I just hope the other seniors don't drag it out, I appreciate all ON did while here and I appreciate his quick decision to enter the portal.

Reactions: cncchris33

1. Caleb Love
2. Dayvion McKnight
3. Graham Ike
4. Ques Glover
5. TJ Bamba

I know we need a PG, but I feel like if you've missed on Love/McKnight Ike is a bigger impact player next season and you make do with developing Freddie, Mashack, and whoever else is here in the guards to be better ball handlers. Plus end of the year ZZ should be back.

Now a few PGs I'm still hopeful we reach out to that I'd probably take over Ike/Glover.

(past season) 12.7 ppg, 5.8 apg, 2.9 rpg, 2.2 spg, 42.1% FG, 46.8% 2PT, 34.2% 3PT

(past season) 16.8 ppg, 3.2 apg, 4.3 rpg, 1.8 spg, 45.5% FG, 47.2% 2PT, 43.1% 3PT

Agree...I'd take all those guys over Glover. Didn't realize Mills was in the portal. We checked in on him when he transferred from Houston. Really good passer, not the greatest shooter, but can get to and finish at the rim. Can also take his man off the dribble. Also plays defense.

Agree...I'd take all those guys over Glover. Didn't realize Mills was in the portal. We checked in on him when he transferred from Houston. Really good passer, not the greatest shooter, but can get to and finish at the rim. Can also take his man off the dribble. Also plays defense.

Yep thought the name sounded familiar. He's done well at Houston and FSU both are in tough conferences I also like that he's got good size at 6'3" he just hit the portal yesterday, so maybe we'll reach out again. Clayton has been in for a bit, pretty sure he's not a guy they want.

1. Caleb Love
2. Dayvion McKnight
3. Graham Ike
4. Ques Glover
5. TJ Bamba

I would also add Damian Dunn to this list

I just can’t get excited by Glover. I understand Memphis is excited by him, but after what I’ve seen from him in his limited time against high-major opponents, I would hope we can do better. I know recruiting in the portal is different than HS recruiting. Barnes has proven that his HS recruiting is exceptional and for us to trust it. I just can’t trust his portal recruiting of low-major players who have gaudy stats against worse competition.

I think it simply boils down to “Does Ques Glover make this team better?” I doubt it. I don’t think he makes the team worse. I’m just not sure this team wouldn’t be better off giving Edwards, Dillione, or Mashack more minutes if the only other option was Glover.

The staff is just fine with him leaving…we can’t bring in 3, return 3 seniors, add portal players etc…players have to leave to make room.
My thinking was that maybe he is just exploring how much he is worth with the intention of staying if there is not a lot of difference in what he is currently getting. I would think that is a good idea if you are not good enough to play professionally and Barnes is ok with that.

You got 13 spots...so you'd only need to see one guy transfer out to make this happen.

In order of "most likely" to leave for the portal IMO:
1. Phillips (more of his decision)
2. Edwards (probably a mutual parting)
3. DJ (would be him, but we'd likely not do too much convincing to stay)
My guess, Edwards. Just a guess in watching them all year and based on who I want to let go if I was the coach.

I also feel like BJ not taking the RS when the staff suggested it wasn't a good idea. Again pure speculation on my part.

If I'm a coach and after a full off-season of camp I pull you aside and suggest "Hey, we're pretty deep and you might be better served to redshirt this year to save some eligibility" and you then didn't do it and didn't really show out when given more minutes... would be hard for me to not remember that if/when I needed to create space.

Yea, making him a priority from the jump is a must if we are going to have any chance at all…and yes, he would be a massive get, anyone saying otherwise is wrong.
There’s a past relationship with a staff member and his family
Bwaa-ha-ha, in the immortal words of Alanis Morrisette, " isn't it ironic, don't you think"

SOCON is definitely a bit better than other LM conferences, they typically get that 12-13 seed range, he went off on Furman (who beat Virginia in NCAAT) in both games this year. I’m not sure why he didn’t play much in that game, didn’t watch it, I’m just running through stats and some highlights. I don’t think he’s a can’t miss sure fire type, but when you look at others also pursuing him and what he’s done against the best teams he’s played it’s hard to think he couldn’t be a help.

Malachi Smith from UTC (SoCon) sure did well for Gonzaga.

Reactions: hotcypress
As for Glover, he’s set to visit Memphis next weekend and they sure seem excited about him and think they’re going to lock him up, so if Tennessee does indeed want him they’ll have to decide fairly soon…which is likely tied to Love deciding soon hopefully.
Seems like I am in the minority here, but I would defintley want Glover as a number 2 option if we dont get Love. If he wants to be here and is locked in to Barnes system, then I think he can help the team. Another quick PG certainly wouldn't hurt us. Would have defintely helped us with a team like FAU. Like you said, it sounds like the staff has to decide fast though. What time frame you thinking?

Reactions: CNeagleVolFan
Seems like I am in the minority here, but I would defintley want Glover as a number 2 option if we dont get Love. If he wants to be here and is locked in to Barnes system, then I think he can help the team. Another quick PG certainly wouldn't hurt us. Would have defintely helped us with a team like FAU. Like you said, it sounds like the staff has to decide fast though. What time frame you thinking?
I bet if we could get him to visit after the Memphis visit that we could land him.

Reactions: Willy14
Not sure, this stuff changes hourly with the portal.

Reactions: Willy14
While I would rather have Caleb Love, I would not be disappointed at all with Quez Glover. I love having small water bug quick guards that have the ability to penetrate. After ZZ went out last year, we became a team with below average quickness in the back court. That needs to be addressed, imo. You can say what you want about Glover, but his athleticism cannot be questioned. He is a high major athlete and super quick.

I think ZZ and Glover could replicate the success that Chandler and ZZ had and help UT play at a faster pace than they did at the end of this past year.

While I would rather have Caleb Love, I would not be disappointed at all with Quez Glover. I love having small water bug quick guards that have the ability to penetrate. After ZZ went out last year, we became a team with below average quickness in the back court. That needs to be addressed, imo. You can say what you want about Glover, but his athleticism cannot be questioned. He is a high major athlete and super quick.

I think ZZ and Glover could replicate the success that Chandler and ZZ had and help UT play at a faster pace than they did at the end of this past year.
Looking to replicate that system with Glover playing the Chandler role with a hampered ZZ will result in a homeless man's version of that system, but I think everyone agrees that the original design was very successful and worth trying to replicate. Just not sure Glover us the answer, myself.

What are the walk on rules? With NIL $ it wouldn’t be difficult at all to come up with an equivalent amount of money to cover the tuition, books, meals, and housing - especially in-state tuition. There is a limit on the total number of spots, but at least one of last years 5 walk-ons is transferring. There are 18 players in the team photo plus Dilione. I don’t know if a walk-on had to exit to make a spot for FD. There are also 18 listed including Dilione. I’m trying to find the difference. But whether 18 or 19 total are allowed, I’m more interested in whether using NIL $ to “create” a scholarship is allowed.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back