Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

Love is a much bigger get than we are acknowledging. He’s 1. Volnation whining aside, he’s a program changer.
After that, there are a clump of guards who are not PG’s. Question becomes will Glover jump the line because he is a PG.
I’m with you there - I would have loved for him to have come in last year. I don’t remember if he was rumored to be considering the portal and ultimately didn’t enter it, or if he entered then withdrew. But I think he would have significantly elevated this year’s team as well.

I think many, myself included, aren’t hyping Love because it’s a see it to believe it deal and I say that knowing we are very much in it…for us it just seems like the premier player, the clear #1 as you said, and we don’t seem to land those guys very often.

But I’m with you, a bought in Love could really elevate this team to another level.

I’m not hyping him either, and have the same fear that we don’t close well with transfer stars. It’s a very different process than recruiting a high school kid over years. To get a transfer you (usually) have to make big promises fast. Obviously that’s not Barnes’ style. From what I hear they’re leaning into Love in a more aggressive way. I was just noting that the “don’t want” crowd are wrong.

So if it’s decided that JJJ and Vescovi returns and there are no more transfers then we won’t have anymore room? So say we get Vescovi, we will be deciding between an often injured JJJ who isn’t a PG or Caleb Love who has so much talent and can play the point? I love JJJ and I think if he’s 100% healthy that he is a total game changer, but he may never be 100% healthy again. I’m hoping for Caleb Love coming in and being the starting PG.
Or do you take JJJ and maybe run off Edwards? It’s why I say the JJJ decision is a tough one/interesting one for the staff to maneuver.

I’m not hyping him either, and have the same fear that we don’t close well with transfer stars. It’s a very different process than recruiting a high school kid over years. To get a transfer you (usually) have to make big promises fast. Obviously that’s not Barnes’ style. From what I hear they’re leaning into Love in a more aggressive way. I was just noting that the “don’t want” crowd are wrong.
Yea, making him a priority from the jump is a must if we are going to have any chance at all…and yes, he would be a massive get, anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

SIAP What is connection between Love and UT? Would be awesome to have a guard that drives and looks to finish. Need an alpha scorer/volume shooter.

Especially one that led his team to a FF last year

SIAP What is connection between Love and UT? Would be awesome to have a guard that drives and looks to finish. Need an alpha scorer/volume shooter.

Especially one that led his team to a FF last year
Our coaches are Interested and he seems to be engaging with them...... that's the info from here at least

Reactions: RockyTop411
Gahhh....why????
I’m sure you’re catching up on the thread and reading in order so will make more sense as you catch up, but…

He’s done well at Samford and done well against the best teams they’ve played, he’s a backup option to some other guys and much like Key last year someone we can likely land.

I’m sure you’re catching up on the thread and reading in order so will make more sense as you catch up, but…

He’s done well at Samford and done well against the best teams they’ve played, he’s a backup option to some other guys and much like Key last year someone we can likely land.
Correct, I was catching up, but still don't get why we are prioritizing him. Made very little impact on very average Florida teams. Scoring stats ramped up at a low-major. Not great size, less than impressive shooting stats, less than impressive A:T ratio. I just don't get it other than the local connection.

I'd much rather have Caleb Love, and I have my own reservations about him. I just can't believe there isn't a better option than Glover for us.

Correct, I was catching up, but still don't get why we are prioritizing him. Made very little impact on very average Florida teams. Scoring stats ramped up at a low-major. Not great size, less than impressive shooting stats, less than impressive A:T ratio. I just don't get it other than the local connection.

I'd much rather have Caleb Love, and I have my own reservations about him. I just can't believe there isn't a better option than Glover for us.

I think EVERYONE would much rather have Caleb Love than Glover...but Love may not want to be here as much as Glover.

I will say though, Glover only averaged about 11 mpg while at Florida so his impact was limited by that more than ability.

42.1% FG, 50.9% 2PT, while averaging about 4 ppg and 1 rpg. Not great, but he also had 3 NBA guards playing ahead of him too.

As mentioned Glover isn’t Option 1, they will shoot their shot with others first but he’s a solid fallback option imo. Obviously was young at Florida so not sure that’s totally fair to judge on, but yes then he did well at a lower level (which I think is more translatable for guards than bigs). In his return from injury this year his numbers in final 10 games were:

29mpg 16.9ppg 2.8rpg 2.2apg 2.6topg 49%FG 50%2ptFG 44%3ptFG 88%FT

I think EVERYONE would much rather have Caleb Love than Glover...but Love may not want to be here as much as Glover.

I will say though, Glover only averaged about 11 mpg while at Florida so his impact was limited by that more than ability.

42.1% FG, 50.9% 2PT, while averaging about 4 ppg and 1 rpg. Not great, but he also had 3 NBA guards playing ahead of him too.
Tre Mann and who else? Scottie Lewis is an off-guard and Tyree Appleby isn't an NBA player. He was playing behind some more talented players, sure. I just wasn't impressed with him as a player. Just hard to believe there isn't a happy medium between Love and Glover.

Something intriguing on Ques is his 2pt ability which we’ve had nobody that can do that…he gets to the mid range and knocks them down, also drives to the rim some as well. He took 330 2pt attempts his junior season (hit 52%), you have to go back to Grant to find the last Tennessee player to shoot that many 2’s.

Tre Mann and who else? Scottie Lewis is an off-guard and Tyree Appleby isn't an NBA player. He was playing behind some more talented players, sure. I just wasn't impressed with him as a player. Just hard to believe there isn't a happy medium between Love and Glover.
Dayvion McKnight

Reactions: Namorto1
Is there a scenario where JJJ, SV, Love, and an additional big are on the roster next year? That likely means at the expense of Edwards and Jefferson but just curious. I think barnes is at the point of his career that waiting on guys to develop at the expense of wins are something that he wants to avoid.

As mentioned Glover isn’t Option 1, they will shoot their shot with others first but he’s a solid fallback option imo. Obviously was young at Florida so not sure that’s totally fair to judge on, but yes then he did well at a lower level (which I think is more translatable for guards than bigs). In his return from injury this year his numbers in final 10 games were:

29mpg 16.9ppg 2.8rpg 2.2apg 2.6topg 49%FG 50%2ptFG 44%3ptFG 88%FT
We'll see. How long is Glover going to wait? I just find it hard to believe there isn't a realistic option between Love and Glover.

Those number in his last 10 are impressive, but the competition is pitiful. I just question the way that translates and don't necessarily agree that guards translate better than bigs. Why did he only play 7 minutes and score 0 points in the SoCon tourney loss to Chattanooga?

VN Store

Back