Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

PG - Transfer/ZZ
SG - Vescovi/Dilione/Edwards/Carr
SF - JJJ/Mashack/Jefferson
PF - Phillips/Estrella/Cade
C - Aidoo/Awaka

So how would this work out, if both Santi and JJJ wanted to come back

I’m guessing Edwards and Jefferson would get the boot?

Staff and Love are very engaged. He has a lot of suitors, but has expressed that he wants to decide soon. Regarding seniors, I think it’s out that Santi might return. I won’t sit on that anymore. JJJ getting a medical evaluation on knee. What happens next for him TBD based on that. Barnes loves JJJ, and he has a spot, but I think the perception is that timing is bad for him to recover before draft, or return here 100%. Santi strongly considering staying. Glover is a bit of a fallback, but a true PG who can drive or pull up.

PG - Transfer/ZZ
SG - Vescovi/Dilione/Edwards/Carr
SF - JJJ/Mashack/Jefferson
PF - Phillips/Estrella/Cade
C - Aidoo/Awaka

So how would this work out, if both Santi and JJJ wanted to come back

I’m guessing Edwards and Jefferson would get the boot?

You got 13 spots...so you'd only need to see one guy transfer out to make this happen.

In order of "most likely" to leave for the portal IMO:
1. Phillips (more of his decision)
2. Edwards (probably a mutual parting)
3. DJ (would be him, but we'd likely not do too much convincing to stay)

Staff and Love are very engaged. He has a lot of suitors, but has expressed that he wants to decide soon. Regarding seniors, I think it’s out that Santi might return. I won’t sit on that anymore. JJJ getting a medical evaluation on knee. What happens next for him TBD based on that. Barnes loves JJJ, and he has a spot, but I think the perception is that timing is bad for him to recover before draft, or return here 100%. Santi strongly considering staying. Glover is a bit of a fallback, but a true PG who can drive or pull up.

Assuming the staff feels comfortable with the frontcourt with the 2 returning players and 2 incoming freshmen? I get the feeling they would prefer to return experience (JJJ/Santi) OR add quickness/scoring for the backcourt primarily with any portal spots.

Thanks, SF. Appreciated as always. This is a very encouraging update, granted I know to always take these things with a grain of salt as recruiting can change at the drop of a hat. Retaining Vescovi would be HUGE for a team that will lack veterans next year. I think it goes without saying that adding Caleb Love would be a major statement portal win, but until we get him on campus for a visit I will try to temper any excitement.

I have a birthday coming up in a few days, sure would be a nice gift this time next week to have the Love/Vescovi wombo combo to celebrate. Tell Barnes to gift wrap it for me :)

Assuming the staff feels comfortable with the frontcourt with the 2 returning players and 2 incoming freshmen? I get the feeling they would prefer to return experience (JJJ/Santi) OR add quickness/scoring for the backcourt primarily with any portal spots.

I feel pretty good about Awaka/Aidoo/Estrella next year. Definitely would be fine with not taking a big in the portal if it meant keeping Santi and adding a guy like Love.

Give all the NIL money to Love.

Yea the JJJ is the biggest question mark to me, obviously Barnes absolutely loves him and wants him to have a spot, but at what risk? Can he be healthy or much of the same this year, does that cost you a transfer spot or a current roster spot, tough spot for Barnes and staff with that one imo.

I feel pretty good about Awaka/Aidoo/Estrella next year. Definitely would be fine with not taking a big in the portal if it meant keeping Santi and adding a guy like Love.

Same and from what I've read Cade is similar to Awaka in his motor and rebounding. Have read that from a defensive standpoint he's a capable "day 1" guy. He would be a bit behind offensively, mostly relying on put backs and dunks.

Estrella is another guard who grew a foot type big...a few years back that would be a worry, but so few teams have a Shaq like back to the basket big these days I'm not as worried about that. Means he's comfortable handling the ball and passing.

I just think Cade/Awaka could both really help one another become studs in the next 2 to 3 years practicing hard against each other.

Same and from what I've read Cade is similar to Awaka in his motor and rebounding. Have read that from a defensive standpoint he's a capable "day 1" guy. He would be a bit behind offensively, mostly relying on put backs and dunks.

Estrella is another guard who grew a foot type big...a few years back that would be a worry, but so few teams have a Shaq like back to the basket big these days I'm not as worried about that. Means he's comfortable handling the ball and passing.

I just think Cade/Awaka could both really help one another become studs in the next 2 to 3 years practicing hard against each other.

Agreed. Plus, in this era of college basketball, 1 big lineups are much more common with an occasional 2 big lineup for a few minutes. Guard play dominates March. I have confidence that Awaka/Estrella/Aidoo and Cade to some degree can adequately manage the 4/5 minutes next year. It also saves some minutes for more small ball.

I mean, just thinking about a starting 5 like this:

Love
Mashack
Vescovi
Phillips (small ball)/Awaka (2 big)
Aidoo

And then you bring studs like ZZ, Dillione, and Estrella off the bench? Sheesh. That's just nasty.

In your opinion is Glover the direct fallback to Love (who it seems like is priority 1), or are there others in between?

Pipe dream is Santi and Phillips returns, and Barnes adds that second point guard to the team. Add that, the team is ready to go with a high ceiling.

Yea the JJJ is the biggest question mark to me, obviously Barnes absolutely loves him and wants him to have a spot, but at what risk? Can he be healthy or much of the same this year, does that cost you a transfer spot or a current roster spot, tough spot for Barnes and staff with that one imo.
Not on the floor, but I'm wondering if we would offer JJJ a GA coaching position. I know he wants to play but that could be a way to keep him around.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Agreed. Plus, in this era of college basketball, 1 big lineups are much more common with an occasional 2 big lineup for a few minutes. Guard play dominates March. I have confidence that Awaka/Estrella/Aidoo and Cade to some degree can adequately manage the 4/5 minutes next year. It also saves some minutes for more small ball.

Love
Mashack
Vescovi
Aidoo

And then you bring studs like ZZ, Dillione, and Estrella off the bench? Sheesh. That's just nasty.

Yep, and if you return JJJ the small ball could allow Phillips to play the 5 some and really exploit a matchup. I think he'd have to pull his defender away from the basket, but if he's driving on a big I think he gets far more attempts up at the rim. And he rebounds well enough he could hold his own. If ON can play the 5 when we run small ball I think Phillips could as well.

I also think Mashack might be developed into more of a PG moving forward. Him in a pick and roll with his athleticism cutting to the basket could give Aidoo and JP plenty of assists or dunks once they hand-off and roll to the rim themselves.

Love
Mashack
Vescovi
Aidoo

I think a healthy Zeigler is starting

In your opinion is Glover the direct fallback to Love (who it seems like is priority 1), or are there others in between?
Love is a much bigger get than we are acknowledging. He’s 1. Volnation whining aside, he’s a program changer.
After that, there are a clump of guards who are not PG’s. Question becomes will Glover jump the line because he is a PG.

Love is a much bigger get than we are acknowledging. He’s 1. Volnation whining aside, he’s a program changer.
After that, there are a clump of guards who are not PG’s. Question becomes will Glover jump the line because he is a PG.
I think many, myself included, aren’t hyping Love because it’s a see it to believe it deal and I say that knowing we are very much in it…for us it just seems like the premier player, the clear #1 as you said, and we don’t seem to land those guys very often.

But I’m with you, a bought in Love could really elevate this team to another level.

I think many, myself included, aren’t hyping Love because it’s a see it to believe it deal and I say that knowing we are very much in it…for us it just seems like the premier player, the clear #1 as you said, and we don’t seem to land those guys very often.

Yep. This is what is tempering my expectations, but I’ve gotten a bit more excited the past day or two. I just think ultimately he’ll want to go somewhere where he has no leash.

But I’m with you, a bought in Love could really elevate this team to another level.
For me it's because it would signal a change for Barnes. Him taking an offensive first PG makes me think we would play faster and score more.

Reactions: Volfan1000
So if it’s decided that JJJ and Vescovi returns and there are no more transfers then we won’t have anymore room? So say we get Vescovi, we will be deciding between an often injured JJJ who isn’t a PG or Caleb Love who has so much talent and can play the point? I love JJJ and I think if he’s 100% healthy that he is a total game changer, but he may never be 100% healthy again. I’m hoping for Caleb Love coming in and being the starting PG.

My assumption was that even if Zeiglar heals up a bit, early on they would want to be careful until he’s fully himself so maybe he comes off the bench. I know he wants to be back by August, but I just find that hard to believe right now. I’m hopeful though!
Yea I’m not sure, if he’s not ready for fall practice then you’re likely right that he won’t start.

VN Store

Back